Pse 5 Photo Viewer/catalog

Hi all, I had read on some site, maybe even here, that you can turn off the catalog portion of PSE 5. Do you use it? I rarely even look in there, I usually go through windows to scrap. So does having all my pictures in there use up space? I would think it does, or am I wrong? Just thinking how to save some space if I never use that portion of the program.

Linda

Linda, the organizer just utilizes thumbnails of your photos, so while it does take up space, it doesn't take up as much as it would if they were duplicates, KWIM?

But I'm like you - I like to clean out stuff I don't use, so I could live without it. I used to use it for digi products - used the tag system and all. But now I have too much stuff for it to run smoothly, and I converted over to Ro's method of organization, anyway. So I'm finding everything in windows explorer just fine. The only time I use the organizer now is when I'm looking through RAW photos, because they don't have a thumbnail on windows explorer, but the PSE organizer will view them.

Thanks, I too am using Ro's system and never even use it. Oh I do have a question though....Is there a way to be in PSE 5 organizer and then select something and bring in into the edit screen? I have never figured it out if there is.

Linda

I use the organizer and really like it. That's really how I got started with PSE was the organizer in PSE2 (now PSE5). I love how you can apply tabs & collections to the photos and see things as small or as large as you like. You can select one or many photos to take into the editor just by clicking on them and using the shift key or control key then select the edit button at the top and it takes them all over. I especially like it because of the ability to look at the photos large without opening each individual file.

I hope I explained this right. :)

I am using the PSE Organizer but am fairly new to digi-scrapbooking so I don't have a really large collection of stuff yet. I was just using it for photos but have recently set up a separate catalog for my digi supplies. I haven't had a chance to tag any of the supplies yet. I do have enough of the stuff to make it a daunting task though. I do like having the larger thumbnails to view and not have to open a lot of folders.

Pat

Hmmm, you make a good point Pat. Maybe I should try it and see if I like it better. I am new too and don't know if I want to spend the time moving and sorting again. But being able to see it better might be worth the work.

linda

• 2 weeks later...
I am using the PSE Organizer but am fairly new to digi-scrapbooking so I don't have a really large collection of stuff yet. I was just using it for photos but have recently set up a separate catalog for my digi supplies. I haven't had a chance to tag any of the supplies yet. I do have enough of the stuff to make it a daunting task though. I do like having the larger thumbnails to view and not have to open a lot of folders.

Pat

Do be careful about using multiple catalogs. If you are working on a layout, and you open your scrapping catalog, and then don't switch back to your picture catalog and save (from the editor), you could end up saving the link to your layout in your scrapping catalog instead of your picture catalog. Just make sure you have the right one open in the organizer before saving from the editor.

-Trish

Archived