Whaaaa! (big Whiny Cry)

amanda

Whaaaaaa! :monstercry: My point and shoot digital camera is not working! It won't zoom anymore and the lens is stuck! I think it's taken one too many pictures, maybe I burnt out the motor or something. I feel like I lost an appendage! I cannot be without a camera! Whaaaa! (enough whining yet?)

I have been wanting a DSLR, maybe this is just a sign that it's time to upgrade? I mean, I've sent in cameras for repair before just to end up wasting money on shipping and fixing it to have it go bad again. I'm all for recycling and fixing things, but I'm thinking I'd rather spend the money on a new camera. Yeah? I think it's time. Dh thinks I should just get another "pocket-sized" camera since I'm still chasing after little kids. But since I'm the one taking the photos all the time, it's really up to me. Whattya think? Any advice for me on what DSLR I should get? :) Or do you think I should stick with a little guy?

Thanks in advance for commisserating!

ps :monstercry:

I'm so sorry to hear about your broken camera, but that IS a good reason to buy a new one. ;) I don't know anything about DSLR but if you've had troubles with repair in the past, I would say get with the best camera you can buy, whether compact or not. I got a new camera last year to replace another one, and its battery life, shutter speed, and quality are so much more efficient. I hope you find a great one!

I have a Canon DSLR, Rebel XTi, and I love it!

DH claims I love that camera more than him... LOL!

I've always had Canon SLR's, since 20 years back, so I still have some of my old lenses and stuff!

I hope you find something you like and quickly!!!

I have a Canon DSLR, Rebel XTi, and I love it!

DH claims I love that camera more than him... LOL!

LOL Thess! I guess that's the real reason he's suggesting I get a pocket camera!! LOL

Think I might go shopping today!

Looks like it's TIME to go shoppin!!

I've got a Rebel XT (the one just before the XTi). If you want to save some $$ and are looking into the Rebel, you can find XTs LOTS cheaper than the XTi and it is still a fantastic upgrade from what you have (had).

the advantage to a point and shoot...

it IS lighter, and easier to carry around.

You can, point and shoot... with the Rebel, you need to do a little more work than just point and shoot.

good luck!

You might consider a Sony DHC H2 or H5. THey are kind of middle of the road...not quite pocket, yet portable, and not SLR in the sense that they don't shoot RAW...but they zoom 12x and have steady shot...I love my H2...

I hear the H5 are better...

Just a suggestion!

Guest Ursula

OH Amanda, I so can feel your pain. I think it's the perfect excuse for a DSLR. I can tell you that I do not know how I lived without mine before. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!

Guest nc64west

The new 'Digital Scrapbooking 5' magazine has an article called, "Point & Shoot? Or digital SLR?" You can do some online searches with such a wording & see what comes up. I just got another Panasonic point & shoot yesterday for my b-day. It's the Lumix FX50 & I love it! It takes amazing shots, has a super FAST shutter speed, a great ISO range, a huge 3" screen, anti shake feature & leica 4x optical zoom + 4x digi zoom. It's the 2nd Panasonic I have owned since my first was beyond compare to others I'd owned. I think your choice boils down to how much you want to carry around a hunky SLR & take the time to learn to master it's capabilities, or slip a sleek point-and-shoot into your purse/pocket & grab those quick, no-fuss shots of priceless moments! Are the extra capabilities of the SLR worth the inconvenience of the ;larger - extra lenses - pricier- worth it to you? Will you use them? If you are a professional photographer, or desire to produce photos like one and have the time to learn/experiment...go for the SLR!

Archived