My Mac G5 Keeps Crashing

I am so frustrated!!! Since last night my machine has been on the fritz. I have always been a Mac user and have NEVER run into anything like this. My machine keeps shutting down and it is random. This is the Mac model with the HD in the monitor and it is only a year old.

Is anyone even remotely familiar with this problem? I can't believe that I finally decide to quit my job and freelance from home full-time and not even 3 weeks in I am having hardware issues. I have 4 jobs going right now, one needs to have corrections done and to the client by Monday morning and I am afraid to open my PS and have it crash in the middle of working.

I am honestly not sure which of these things I want to do right now :monstercry: or :throw: I know that there are many other people with larger problems right now, so please excuse my whining.

Is your computer less than a year old? Is it still under warranty? Does it only crash with photoshop? Do you have a lot of styles and things like that loaded? I once had that problem and I noticed I had way too much loaded. I clean out my styles and pattern palettes once in awhile. Did you upgrade anything, such as your photoshop? I hope your computer starts behaving itself. Do you have too many fonts loaded? Am I asking too many questions? lol

Erica

Trish,

Have you upgraded any graphics drivers? I'm not a MAC expert but a friend of mine had similar experiences, he would walk away and the machine would crash!

He had just upgraded his graphics drivers. I'm sorry I dont know exactly which, but try to think if you have installed or upgraded anything recently and if so, then regress back, if possible.

With it happening suddenly, I would think its more software than hardware based. Usually with hardware, you get a couple of warnings first (glitches, power dips etc). With software, its very often more direct.

Sorry its not much but I do hope this might give you a few pointers

Regards

Erica—

It is a little over a year old.

I thought it was still under warranty since I bought the Protection Plan, but when I called they can't find a record of me purchasing the plan. The serial number on the plan is linking to someone purchasing it through Chico State, what the?!

Definitely not a styles issue, I have very few loaded.

I haven't upgraded anything in the last few days.

The fonts are reasonable.

No you didn't ask too many questions!

Keri—It isn't doing a slow gray, it is full on cutting out like the power is off.

Dave—I haven't done any upgrades on RAM or drivers and it is really random when it dies. It isn't one program that is triggering it.

Thank you for all of the feedback and questions, it gave me a few more things to check. I am now trying to dig up my receipts to prove that I purchased the Protection Plan from Apple along with my computer, this should be fun. I am rather depressed at the moment...

Trish,

Have you checked your sleep settings?

Have you checked Apple's site?

The sleep settings are normal, I was hoping that was it originally. I checked the Apple site and found a couple of things to try, but neither worked. After the run-a-round with the 1st help line person, I tried calling back and got an extremely helpful guy. He had me turn the machine off and unplug everything, then while holding down the power button plug the main power line back in, then hit the power button again. Ever since I did that it hasn't crashed. Basically that is a simple reset that needs to happen on this type of Mac. Due to the entire computer being in the screen, the machine gets moved around a bit more than a normal tower, so it gets out of wack.

I am all for easy fixes and hopefully this will do it. I backed up everything, so at least I am now up to date on that! ;)

Well girls, I am off to the iMac store to have my computer fix because it is still cutting out on me. I have about had it with this and the lovely help desk setup that Mac has, what a circus! The people are helpful, but the amount of hoops that I am having to jump through is ridiculous!!!

I am, so mad that I can't even put the words together. UGH...

Archived