Photoshop Tip A Day!

Guest gauchogirl

Guest gauchogirl
Thought I would start a "Photoshop Tip a Day" post and see what good gems we can glean from each other. I'll post one every day, but please, if you have one, feel free to post here as well!!

Today's:

You probably know that pressing the Tab key hides the toolbar and palettes (great for decluttering your screen so you can see just your LO), but you can also press Shift+Tab to hide only the palettes (thereby leavng the toolbar visible and useable.)

t

Guest scrapyardkath
Thanks for the tip and thanks for starting the topic!!
I thought I'd let others know that this works in PHE also. (I am using v.2)

-

Guest scrapyardkath
[quote name='scrapyardkath' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:37 AM']Thanks for the tip and thanks for starting the topic!!

-
[right][post="7752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Sorry, I meant PSE v.2

[quote name='scrapyardkath' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:40 AM'][quote name='scrapyardkath' date='Apr 13 2005, 11:37 AM']Thanks for the tip and thanks for starting the topic!!

-
[right][post="7752"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]
Sorry, I meant PSE v.2
[right][post="7753"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right]
[/quote]

blujeanlady62, i think it was a typo, she meant PSE.

this is going to be too cool! cant' wait till tomorrow!

Guest Pixel Lady
Alt + click will duplicate the selected item. This is one of my favorites!

This is a great thread! Thank you!! :dancingelephant: :dancingcow:

Guest gauchogirl
Ro, nope on #2. Just windows and palettes.

#4:
I love this one, and it sometimes takes some experimentation, but: To round your edges, gaussian blur pretty significantly, then do unsharp mask with the first two sliders all the way to the right (and the bottom one at 0). You may need to run the unsharp mask a couple times at this setting. Works great for round edge rectangles. This also works to smooth things out that may be a litte pixelated. Experiment with different amounts of gaussian blur in the beginning.
t

Guest Laura_A
WOW! These are all great tips!

Here's one I just learned and it is a PURE life saver for me... hope I'm not the only one who didn't know this...

To create a straight line while using brushes, erasing, etc., click where you want your line to start, then, hold down the 'shift' key and click again where you want your line to end... Voila!, a perfect, straight line.

Guest gauchogirl
Here's one for Sunday and today:

#5: Increase/decrease the brush size for the current paint tool using the left/right square bracket keys ( [ / ] ) respectively.

#6: While the Measure tool [I on CS] is good for measuring distances (especially diagonals), you can also use it to measure angles, (like a protractor). Make sure the Info palette [F8] is visible. Select the Measure tool: click and drag to draw a line. Hold down the Alt key and drag a second line out from one of the end nodes (note the angle and lengths of the two lines in the Info Palette.)

Guest gauchogirl
Zoom in and out by using Ctrl + Plus (+) and Ctrl + Minus (-). Have the window resize to fit by also holding down the Alt key (so Ctrl + Alt + Plus and Ctrl + Alt + Minus).

Guest gauchogirl
Here is one of my biggest time savers:

With the Move tool [ V ] as the current tool (or while holding down the Ctrl key), right-click anywhere on your canvas for a list of the layers under the mouse pointer (ordered from top-most to bottom-most): now you can select a layer-name from the list to make it the active layer.

tonya

Guest Dealbaida
I have virtually zilch experience or knowledge of Photoshop and these tips are going to prove sooooooo invaluable. Thank you all so much for taking the time and trouble to share them. Thanks!

Guest gauchogirl
OK, I realize I have missed a few days! Here are a few:

You can use the Marquee [M] or Polugonal Lasso [L] to drag a selection outline from one document into another.
Tip for above: Hold the Shift key down (after initiating the drag) to have the selection centered in the destination document automatically (when you release it in the destination doc.) ALternately, this will center the contents of layers you drag from one doc to another also.
Even cooler tip for above: If the destination cancas contains a selection, the dragged item will be placed in the center OF THE SELECTION.

Last but not least: To drag mulitple layers between docs, first link them together, then use the Move [V] tool to drag into the destination doc. (I imagine this one will change in PSCS2 since you have the ability to select multiple layers at once now)

Guest katiec
In PSP you can have the option "fit within the selection area". You can resize the photo or image to fit to your custome frame. How do you get this in PS CS? Any PSCS guru out there?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wings
Here's a tip for Mother's Day--inside every kit hides another kit waiting to be revealed.

In PSE3.0, just open a copy of, say, a background, and press CTRL-I (windows equivalent of Filter-> Adjustments-> Invert), and the new background will be the color complement of the original.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Archived