Helpful Hint #2

Ok, I'm full of hints and tips today, just call me Heloise.

Sunday when I was making the scrapbook I spent more time than I realized I would assembling the layout templates I'd bought here. I realize they are made so that any software can be used with them that supports png's, so it's understandable why one layout would have 7 files associated with it. But I don't have to leave it like that. So, I'm going to pre-assemble the ones I've bought into layered psd files, so they are ready for me to scrap whenever I want. Added benefit - in my organizer (PSE) I can hide the individual files and have just one file tagged instead of several.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I want to understand this tip... I have PS7. But I've read it through a few times and I'm still not sure I get how to do this! Can anyone help?

When you buy a digital layout template, it comes with a set of PNG files which, when combined together, create a complete digitally designed page. To scrap the page, you take each PNG and copy it into your layout file and then go about designing your page with your chosen papers, etc. The next time you decide to use that layout template, you have to go through that whole process again--adding each PNG file to your layout file, customizing the layers, etc. The timesaver is just to save the layered file BEFORE you start customizing it so that the next time you want to use it, the layers will all be there, saving you the time of adding each one individually all over again. I usually save mine with the template's name and then "_layered" appended to the end: ASO_Mosaic_Layered.psd, for example.

Does that make any sense at all? I'm trying to write this with a headache and with Entertainment Tonight on in the background. :)

• 3 weeks later...

I actually did that myself with my templates and now each time i buy some i will do it right away keeping the orignals the way they are and having a seperate folder for other stuff....But i also have Dee;s Scripts for PSP X that helps put them together faster!!

I have a tutorial about this tip coming up in a few weeks! Stay tuned!!

Sounds great Theresa! Waiting (im)patiently...LOL

This is a great tip! To help you speed up the process of getting the various files into ONE file, you might want to check out the FREE Photoshop script from AV Bros (I don't think I can actually link to that here). Basically, you open all the documents and then select the one you want to be the one that all the files go in and then you run the script. They all end up in the document as you need them. The only thing you might have to do once they are there is to rearrange the layers if they are out of order but I believe there is a jpeg file included with the templates to show you what the layers should look like.

I've been doing this as I go along. In other words, when I decide to use one of them I assemble it and then save it as a .PSD file in the same folder and add _Layered to the end of the file name. I have so many, I just didn't feel like spending the time all at once. However, I guess if I just pick on set a day I could get it done. Hmmmmm . . . . sounds like a good goal. Thanks for the inspiration!

GREAT idea... especially because every time I go to use one I have to go back to my notes to see what key to hold down to drag them over into the right position. So if I look it up once and then preassemble as you've suggested... I'll go MUCH faster! Thanks for sharing this brilliant idea!

Archived