Clarification On What Scrap Lifting Is

Guest Ro

From my update:

uestions have been asked about what Scrap Lifting is. This is a sensitive topic and I should have done a better job describing it to you. My apologies to you and to Ann.

Ann is a fabulous designer and I wouldn't want you guys to accidentally do anything with her work that is wrong or that would hurt her feelings. You see, it is wrong to do an exact duplicate of a layout without permission. That isn't scraplifting. That is just copying.

Scraplifting is taking inspiration from the layout and when you scraplift, you ALWAYS credit the original designer. Another thing about it, you should never submit a scraplifted layout to a magazine or anywhere else where you will receive credit or payment because you are not really doing your own work, see?

What I didn't know before I announced this contest is that Ann has had problems in the past with people ripping her layouts off (she is SO good) and then she would find them published in magazines. Can you imagine what a shock that would be????? To see your work published under somebody else's name and they were getting the credit for it???

So, please, respect Ann. She is a fabulous, fabulous designer. She IS inspirational. It's not a wonder that so many of you have purchased her products. They are simply beautiful! Use her layouts for inspiration in this scrap lift challenge but don't directly copy them.

Now, I'm also including a nice article below by Emma Bellish about this topic. She has written so well about it. It ought to help you understand the topic better.

As a note, the winner of this contest will be someone who has used Ann's layout to inspire them. If the layout makes Ann uncomfortable because it is a direct copy, then it will be disqualified.

So have fun with the contest. Be INSPIRED by one our the most inspirational scrappers I know.

[url="http://www.mylifeinascrapbook.com/emma.html"]Great article about Scraplifting[/url]

Guest DeeZee
Ann, I hope you'll let us know if you're uncomfortable with our scraplift as well! Your work is amazing, and I would never intentionally do anything that was not right. I'm a bit unsure about this whole issue -- it's hard not to copy when you use the same papers to create the same feel. I think my layout about ballet is different from your Destiny layout, despite the fact that I did copy your use of the background papers and brushwork. Is this too much? Please help us learn!

Guest Stasiu'sMom
I think your dance LO is BEAUTIFUL, BTW! Its all fine as far as I can tell. I think it would only be possibly conmplicated if you were to submit it for publication. That's the grey area Ro was most alluding to regarding copyright issues, etc! Thanks for asking!

LOVE your LO!

Guest Juliet_A
It's an interesting article, and helpful. there have been a couple of times that I've seen a layout that I wanted reproduce in concept (not CASE) , and I've told the creators that I wanted to steal the idea, but it would never occur to me to upload one that is such an obvious copy of an existing LO online. It would just make me look like an unimaginative copycat to anyone who recognized it.

Of course, my family never reads these boards...

Guest lcscoobie81
Hi, Ro! Thanks for the clarification! I could only guess at the meaning of scraplifting! It helps a lot to know what is ok and what is not and what scraplifting actually is!!!!

Guest katiec
I am new to the digital world so I either get scraplifting from some layouts in the galery or buy the Easy pages (or quick pages) for my pages. As long as these pages are for personal use, they are OK, right!!!

Kate

Guest katiec
Thanks so much, RO! I am so happy to hear that because I don't want to get in trouble or hurt anyone ... I "made" these scrapbook pages to show off to my family members and they all think that I am so gooooood!

Kate

Archived