Walnut Ink

Guest JenniaHart

Guest JenniaHart
A few months ago I went to a rubber stamp show in search of the elusive Walnut Ink crystals. I ended up getting a bottle of liquid Walnut Ink instead but I absolutely LOVE this stuff! I've sprayed it on, soaked things in it, painted it on, used it full srength and diluted, sponged it and any other technique I could think of to get the ink onto the page. No matter what I try, it seems to result in a wonderful aged look.

I cannot wait to try the new color washes that work in a similar fashion for the same effect but more variety for colors!!

What do you think about Walnut Ink? Have you tried it? What do you do with it?

Guest just_v
Jennia;

I recently discovered walnut ink in the dabber bottle from Fiberscraps and I just love it! It's wonderful to create an aged to look to my computer or stamping elements! I love crumpling up tags, smoothing them out and then dabbing the ink on. These create really fun, rustic journaling blocks!

V

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bobnbear
I love this stuff!! I just got my hands on some at the stamp/scrap expo here in Colorado Springs, and am going crazy using it too!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kellyshults
Another great idea I learned on an Altered Books Group Website, is if you don't have Walnut crystals to use Coffee or Tea as a substitute. It works great!

Another really cool effect is once your spritz your paper with the tea, coffee, or walnut ink and add a layer of salt on top and let it sit for a few minutes. The salt soaks up the liquid and creates some really interesting splotchy/aged effects on your page. (Be sure and wipe all the salt off, when you are done.) The larger rock salt is ideal, but I have used regular table salt and come up with some nice effects.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest tarus777
I purchased a bottle of ink from my LSS. It is not Walnut Ink. I can't remember the name but it is made by Ranger, Ind. It said "old paper". Is this the same as Walnut Ink? I have never used Walnut Ink so I don't know how to use it. It is in a little brown bottle with an eye dropper. There are no instuctions whatsoever. How do I dilute it? How long do I let the paper absorb it? And how.....? I really want to try to get the same effects that all of you great ladies get. Please help!

Melani :wacko:

Melani ... sounds like you purchased the reinker for the first set of the Tim Holtz line of Distressed Ink pads by Ranger. Interested in learning what you can do with reinkers? :)

Guest tarus777
Jill, it sounds like I did! I looked last night and it does say "Distressed Ink". Ugh! Maybe I can return it, it isn't opened. I thought I was getting something like walnut ink. Does walnut ink come in crystals or a liquid? Thanks for your help!

Melani

Love walnut ink! I have soaked things in it and painted it on tags, paper, anything I want to have that aged look. I have had other people tell me that they have sprayed it on and I have tried this but it didn't work for me. I thought what I did just came out all splotchy <_< . Please share your secret! :rolleyes:

Guest bobnbear
Well when I want to do tags, I place about 6-10 of them out in my yard and spray all of them at once and then immediatally wipe them down with a paper towel , to avoid the splotchies. ^_^

[quote name='tarus777' date='Sep 20 2004, 09:53 PM']Does walnut ink come in crystals or a liquid?  Thanks for your help!

Melani[/quote]
Melani ... it comes both ways ... most often, tho, you will find the crystals so that you can make it up 'fresh'. Most brands of crystals do have a shelf life and can get kinda funky smelling! FiberScraps makes a neat liquid one that come in a bingo dauber type bottle. But, the same distressed ink line that you purchased a reinker for has a walnut ink color ... it works beautifully, too. Lots of options. Just find one and go for it! *Ü*

Guest tarus777
Jill, Thanks so much for your help! I am going to check out the options this weekend. Thanks for the heads up on the shelf life, etc.

Melani :dancingcow:

Archived