Do you make envelopes?

Guest JenniaHart

Guest JenniaHart
I have a few envelope templates that I use. I have also just "winged it" when making larger envelopes. I saw an idea online for making a really cute lined envelope but haven't tried it yet. I also use store bought greeting card size envelopes- that is what I usually use for the cards I make.

Do you make fancy envelopes to go with your handmade cards? What is your favorite way to creat them?

• 4 weeks later...
I make my own. I use an old envie as a template. I have a scanned copy of it in case I ever loose my original! I usually make the envie match the card.

I like to make my own if I have time. The only template I don't have but want is a 5x5 card envie. I may have to put that on my list of "google searches"! :silly:

• 4 weeks later...
Guest FireWifeScrapper
I have never made my own envelopes, but I always embellish the ones I send. They must have a couple of stamped images or stickers on them. I also always write the recipients name with color and in a fancy handwriting so that it looks nicer than all the other pieces of mail we get. :D

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
Guest Romika
[font="Optima"][color="Navy"] If I make an odd-shaped card, I generally have to make an envelope for it. Sometimes I use templates...the one's from C-thru are sturdy, and I've also had good luck with the "Kreate-a-lope" line. Otherwise I wing in....the "pocket" that houses the card needs to be about 1/4 of an inch larger than the card, so I start there and add the flaps. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries, but once I have a template, I keep it!

-K[/color][/font]

• 3 weeks later...
Guest CathyRose
I like making evelopes to match the card or white with matching linings. I have a template kit I got from QVC, I think it is called Creat-a-lope. I am using my old "Slab" BB paper to make envelopes, it's the only way I will ever make a dent in that paper stash of mine!

I have it also, it was a bargain on QVC, there's like 8 sizes or so for under $20, made of sturdy plastic. I made a set of bridal shower cards and envies in no time. Though I do like to cut my edges for most cards, there instructions just say tear along the edge. I like the cleaner edge for most projects though.

Guest Juliet_A
I have the creat-a-lope, and I don't really like it that much for tearing, it is safer to cut the paper. I also have a template from Stampin' up that i use for envelopes that I like better.

I usually use storebought envelopes, but when I send my xmas cards, I make the envelopes out of giftwrap. I think it makes them stand out in the mail.

Guest CathyRose
I do like it Jan, but I usually cut mine out with scissors not tear it as the directions say. I think it is a very useful set of templates. BTW, I spelled it wrong. It actually is spelled Kreate-a-lope in case you want to search on eBay or elsewhere. I paid $15 for mine in a QVC outlet store.

• 5 months later...
Guest Butterfly Love
I do both. I use store bought ones and I make my own. I use store bought for those times I simply don't have time to make one. But want to send a card off quickly. If I have time I like to make them. I perfer to make them. I use no templets. I just put my card down and fold my paper around it then cut away. Works good for me.

I prefer to make my own usually, but when I'm in a hurry to get it in the mail, well, store bought ones are sure handy to keep around. I'm getting pretty good though also at making my own templates. I like to add a different edge to the flaps of envelopes I plan to use for cards, :).

• 7 months later...
Guest JulieB
I usually bought my envelopes until I found the ScrapSimple card template sets here on ScrapGirls. I really love to make square cards (5"x5") so I immediately bought the template set which has templates for about 6 cards AND the envelope template. It's very easy to resize the template for other situations. For instance, if I have a 3" square gift enclosure card and I want a fancy envelope, I'll pull up the envelope template from the card set kit, and then add a square 'shape' to my workspace, remove the fill so I only have the outline, size it to 3" and lay it on top of the envelope template in the area that actually holds the card. I'll then resize the template to about 3 1/4"(a little bigger if I have dimensional embellishments on the card) and then just pull my paper pattern into the black template and, print! Then...I'll pull up a coordinating paper pattern and print it (borderless) over the entire other side of the paper that I just printed the 'envelope' on to. I usually tone it down abit to give it a slightly faded look. Assemble the envelope and you will have a beautiful, lined envelope that will fit your card perfectly. It is definitely worth the very small cost of the card template kit. You won't find anything for less anywhere and you'll have ANY size you need. There are template kits for rectangular cards too.

Oh, and as for scoring the card and/or envelope, Making Memories makes a very nice tool that is not expensive. It's call a stylus and is very handy for alot of applications including rubons and dry embossing. One end will score your fold and the other end is a wonderful broad tip to sharpen the crease.

I use both store bought and Kreate-a-lope templates. For scoring I use a Pampered Chef scraper that comes with their stones! I have a ton of them and use for rubons too.

Guest Mingle Now
I love to create envelopes and small boxes, however these days i usually end up buying from some Handicraft Store...

• 5 months later...
Guest deannayh
I Love my Coluzze template and swivel knife. A few flicks of the knife and its done. Start with a double sided piece of paper and viola!

Sometimes, I just put the card into a clear envelope and seal it shut with a label that becomes the address label.

My other easy cheat is buying a boxed set of cards and envelopes. Decorate the cards the way I want, then laying the envelope down on a matching piece of paper (Flap open) and draw around the envelope. I then cut out the shape about 1/8" in from all sides and about 1/2" up from the straight edged bottom. Now I have a lining for my envelope that matches the card I just made. The trick is to only glue it to the top pointed part of the envelope and NOT the bottom (or inside) part ... this way, when you open and close it, it won't wrinkle or bunch up at all. Just slide the lining into the envelope, put glue on the lining (top part only) and press down to seal. Leave the bottom part free to move.

does that make sense?

deanna

• 1 month later...
Thanks for all the helpful posts on making envelopes. For those that buy envelopes, any recommendations on particular stores? I am looking for envelopes for a 4x6 photo thank you card, and I would like to buy something a little nicer than the standard white, security envelope! Thanks!

[quote name='Loriscraps3' post='83610' date='Jan 13 2007, 11:47 PM']Thanks for all the helpful posts on making envelopes. For those that buy envelopes, any recommendations on particular stores? I am looking for envelopes for a 4x6 photo thank you card, and I would like to buy something a little nicer than the standard white, security envelope! Thanks![/quote]

I bought cream colored invitation envelopes from Staples business store.. They look really nice for card envelopes.

Guest deannayh
[i][quote name='Meisie' post='85489' date='Jan 18 2007, 11:19 AM']If you make envelopes to go with your stack of gift cards....what glue /adhesive do you use for the gift envelopes?[/quote][/i]

Do you mean...What adhesive do I leave on the flap...for the receiving person to use to seal the envelope?

I use "[i]Lick-&-Stick Remoistenable Envelope Glue[/i]" by Green Sneakers Inc.

OR

My favorite is to put a line of double stick tape along the inside of the flap [i](The kind that has a protective cover on it and will stick to the envelope, but not seal it shut until you actually remove the protective cover)[/i]. I leave the protective cover on the tape [i](preventing it from sealing shut)[/i] and let the recipient remove it when they are ready to use it.

AND

I almost always include a decorative seal of some kind that matches the card and envelope. This is for the recipient to use instead of sealing the envelope flap in the traditional manner, or just for decoration.

To make the seals, I just print a matching design, [i](or use a pre-printed paper and a rub-on)[/i] then I punch out a cute shape and run it thru my Xyron sticker maker. I leave the protective backing on the seal for the recipient to use however they wish. [i](Trim the backing to a nice shape for presentation, like the kind you would find in a fancy stationary set. NOTE: Don’t trim it so close that the person cannot separate the backing from the seal, leave a little bit of an edge at least for them to grab and peel apart.)[/i]

deanna

Guest deannayh
[i][quote name='Loriscraps3' post='83610' date='Jan 13 2007, 08:47 PM']Thanks for all the helpful posts on making envelopes. For those that buy envelopes, any recommendations on particular stores? I am looking for envelopes for a 4x6 photo thank you card, and I would like to buy something a little nicer than the standard white, security envelope! Thanks![/quote][/i]

The Coluzzle template [i](#44-4094)[/i] has 3 envelope and cardsizes.
The envelopes fit a 4x6 card , a 5x7 card and a small 2x2 gift card. The template includes both the card and matching [i](slightly larger)[/i] envelope for all 3 sizes.

deanna

Archived