Is It Best To Scan In...

Guest Pixel Lady

Guest Pixel Lady
.jpg or .tif? I am scanning in .tif because of. jpg lossy compression...am I doing this right? Or am I way in left field...LOL

Thanks,

Michelle

Guest DeeZee
Aren't your files huge? I've been scanning as jpgs but then I never resave them -- I always work with the copy so that I never change the original. I though this was ok but I'd sure like to hear if I'm doing it wrong too! (after scanning 3000+ photos, I'd hate to hear that I'm wrong but I would like to know!)

Guest Pixel Lady
[quote name='DeeZee' date='Apr 24 2005, 01:06 PM']Aren't your files huge?  I've been scanning as jpgs but then I never resave them -- I always work with the copy so that I never change the original.  I though this was ok but I'd sure like to hear if I'm doing it wrong too! (after scanning 3000+ photos, I'd hate to hear that I'm wrong but I would like to know!)
[right][post="9246"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yeah, they are. I burn everything to DVD. I never work on the originals either.

I was trying to create a kit and wanted to make sure I was doing it right. Since other MAY use some of my items...KWIM??

Guest DeeZee
Ah, you're scanning stuff as digital elements? I wonder if the use makes a difference.... what kinds of things are you scanning just out of curiousity?

I'm trying to digitize my lifetime of photos. We're military and hope we're going overseas next and I sure don't want all my photos lost due to whatever on the way where we're going SO ........ a digital copy is the key! When I'm done, my mom will get copies, I'll make copies for our shipment and I'll handcarry copies, so hopefully I won't lose anything.

Relate JPGs to photocopiers... the more times you save a JPG you will lose information (just like a copier, if you copy a copy of a copy...it will look pretty bad).

TIFs in the other hand, do not lose information even when saved over and over again. The files size can be rather huge.

As you are creating files, save them in the format of the software you are using, i.e., Photoshop=.PSD. When you are finished and want to create files for a kit, save them as JPGs with the highest quality.

Guest jenn~o
Here is a link that might be helpful:
[url="http://www.scantips.com/basics09.html"]Scantips[/url]

(This link was shared by Valgal in a post at RAKScraps which is where I learned about it.)

Guest lesliefavela
Thanks for all of the great tips, girls. And the link. Never stop learning. Now I sound like a teacher. lol Leslie

Guest DeeZee
Hmm, I'll have to try doing tiffs for a while a see what they look like. Do they actually look better (i.e. less pixelated when you zoom in)?

Guest Pixel Lady
Most scanners do scan have the capability to scan in .TIF. If for some reason it doesn't, after you scan it save it as a .TIF.

Guest MN_Scrapper
Against my techy DH's advice, I scan as TIFs and save the originals on an extrenal hard drive I save for that purpose. After I have done my editing, resizing or whatever, I export as JPG or PNG, as appropriate.

Guest lesliefavela
Isn't it interesting how everyone can take a different path to accomplish something, and still end up at the same destination, when it's all said and done? More than one way to get it done!

I always scan my photos in as tif, unless I am scanning specifically for something and can't find that photo amid my hard drives, lol, and beleive me when I say can't find that photo. I think I need a better way to organize photos, but right now I only have them in different folders with dates. The photo names are all the dates as well, or IMG blah blah, which is more often than not quite a pain in the rumplestiltskin as we say around here.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Archived