Correcting Out Of Focus Photos

I am just learning too, but I sometimes try some of thee filters on PSE 5 and maybe in crease pr degrease the grain and sometimes that helps. Just play around, you could also sharpen it. I am sure others who know more will respond shortly.

Linda

My personal favorite way to deal with slightly out of focus photos is Unsharp Mask in the Filters. Play around with the settings to get just what you're looking for. I try to stay around "50" or the photos sometimes look unnatural. On some of my flower photos, though, I was able to use around "200" and they looked just wonderful. They really POP!

I'm sure there are other ways to deal with out of focus shots, but this is my favorite so far (and my DH who uses CS2 for a living taught it to me). Can't wait to hear other responses! Good question!

~Zaz

• 4 weeks later...

I read a article somewhere & it helps alot I duplicate the picture then on the duplicate file I got to filter> other> high pass it will look gray & embossed as it is like that & before you clip it to the "real"photo I 1st try overlay then scroll thru the blending modes then pick one I like the clip it to the photo it works well for a quick fix..

Hope that helps someone

Caren

I find that I use what Caren was just explaining but I do it a little differently:

Duplicate the photo (Ctrl J)

Then ctrl+ shift + U (This turns it to black and white)

then filter,other, high pass, settings at 10 or 11, ok

then in the blending mode hit soft light

Then merge the two layers together.

To see the difference turn off the eye in the layers platte on the new layer.

I find that I use what Caren was just explaining but I do it a little differently:

Duplicate the photo (Ctrl J)

Then ctrl+ shift + U (This turns it to black and white)

then filter,other, high pass, settings at 10 or 11, ok

then in the blending mode hit soft light

Then merge the two layers together.

To see the difference turn off the eye in the layers platte on the new layer.

Thanks Caren nd Ngaire. That was what I was looking for. I had read it somewhere and had forgotten the steps. This really does a super job and saves some otherwise unusable photos.

I use the unsharp mask too. I usually have the Amount set to 500% with the radius on 0.1. Then I increase the radius gradually until the photo pops. But I'm interested in Ngaire's technique. I might give that a try next time.

Archived