Rounded Corners In Photoshop Elements

Guest diazcamille

Guest diazcamille
I'm trying to figure out how to make rounded corners in PSE3. I'm sure it can't be that difficult, but I don't know how! Someone please help!

My four year old wants me to add a smilie, so here it is :respect:

thanks!

The easiest way that I know if is to go to the cookie cutter tool and find the rectangle shape with the rounded corners. You can them crop your photo or paper with rounded corners. Maybe someone knows an easier way but this is how I usually do it...

Aw, rats, was hoping no one had given an answer .... I didn't know how to do that! "Any excuse to HAVE to play in PSE2" says me kids these days :)

Ya know, I am sure there are other ways, too .... hmmm .... lol "Kids, it's Fend For Yourself tonight!"

xxS

Guest wings
Here's another way to do it--it's a little more convoluted, but you get more control. (This works in PSE3, I don't know about PSE2.)

1. Make a copy of whatever it is you want to "reshape". Let's say it's a picture. Make sure the picture is on its own layer.
2. Next use the shape tool to draw a rounded rectangle on its own layer. [Click on the shape tool, and you'll see several options--one of the options is the rounded rectangle tool.]
3. Use the RADIUS box to control the amount of rounding you want on the corners of the rectangle. You're going to have to play with this until you get the effect you want. Don't be afraid to try a big number like 150 or 200.
4. Get your rounded rectangle in roughly the size/shape that you want for your final picture, then SIMPLIFY it.
5. In the layers palette, make sure that your two layers are in this order:
PICTURE
SIMPLIFIED ROUNDED RECTANGLE
6. Make sure that the PICTURE layer is active. (Just click on it.) Now, use LAYER -> GROUP WITH PREVIOUS (the Windows shortcut is CTRL-G).
7. Voila! Your picture should now be "cropped" into a rounded rectangle, but you can still do some more playing with it. First of all, you can make the picture layer active and move it around within the rounded rectangle shape until you see the part of the picture that you want. Also, if you want, you can make the shape layer active and resize it.
8. Optional step: Merge the layers (with the picture layer active, Layer->Merge down or press CTRL-E in windows). [This makes the newly shaped picture easier for me to deal with when I have lots of layers on a layout.]

Hope this helps! This technique is actually really useful in lots of ways---you can, for example, use an embellishment such as a tag as your "shape" and a background as your "picture", and get any shape embellishment with any background paper that you like!

Guest diazcamille
thanks for your help! I used the cookie cutter tool in this layout
[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1509"]http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...cmd=si&img=1509[/url]
but the more complex directions are great too for when I need that! I really appreciate everyone's help.

Archived