Making A Bacvkground Paper With A Pattern

samsmom713

Ok so...I have taught myself pse4 and what I would really like to do is make a background paper with a repeating pattern like polka dots or something like that...Is there some magical trick to this in pse4 or am I destined to make each and every circle by hand and try to line it up? The program seems pretty smart to me, so I figure I have just not yet stumbled onto this function Please help if you know the answer to this dilemma...Thanks!!!

You know, there is a function in PSE 5 that is very helpful and that is the ability to align and distribute. But it's not in 4. You might try going to View>Grid and turn on the grid and then at the bottom you can tell it to Snap To the grid. I think you can alter the size of the grid by going to Edit>Preferences>Grid. If there is a lot of repetition, you can do one set, merge that layer, then duplicate it how every many times you need it.

Pat's right. In PSE4, there isn't a super easy way to do this, but if you want all the dots to be the same, I would draw one dot, then several copies of that layer (just click and drag the layer in the layers pallet up to the new layer icon (it looks like a square with a turned up corner). Then arrange them how you want them. Then highlight all the dot layers in the layer pallet by clicking on them while holding the shift key. Merge them together (CTRL+E), making them into one layer. Then make a copy of that layer and arrange it next to the first, slowly filling in your background. You can keep merging sections together as you go, making it fill in faster.

Good luck! Post what you come up with here-I'd love to see it!

Pat's right. In PSE4, there isn't a super easy way to do this, but if you want all the dots to be the same, I would draw one dot, then several copies of that layer (just click and drag the layer in the layers pallet up to the new layer icon (it looks like a square with a turned up corner). Then arrange them how you want them. Then highlight all the dot layers in the layer pallet by clicking on them while holding the shift key. Merge them together (CTRL+E), making them into one layer. Then make a copy of that layer and arrange it next to the first, slowly filling in your background. You can keep merging sections together as you go, making it fill in faster.

Good luck! Post what you come up with here-I'd love to see it!

Thanks everyone...I will give it a try!!!

Do you happen to have the Aug/Sept. 2007 Digital Scrapbooking magazine? It gives a tutorial on how to make circles (using brushes) as a paper. (page 112). It's for PSE. You could use the same technique.

You know, there is a function in PSE 5 that is very helpful and that is the ability to align and distribute. But it's not in 4. You might try going to View>Grid and turn on the grid and then at the bottom you can tell it to Snap To the grid. I think you can alter the size of the grid by going to Edit>Preferences>Grid. If there is a lot of repetition, you can do one set, merge that layer, then duplicate it how every many times you need it.

Okay, I have PSE5, and I'm kinda learning as I go. Where is this Align and Distribute option?

Hey Julie! With the layers you want to align or distribute selected, click on the Move Tool (Arrow icon at the top of tool box) and the align and distribute options will appear in the Options bar just above the work space. Actually, the Align and Distribute options are available any time the Move tool is selected. This is really handy if you are using Alphas to do a title.

I think you can do this without having to do it all by hand. If I remember correctly I think you have to define a pattern and then use the fill with pattern function. Here is what I would try. Open a new document that is 1 in. X 1 In. or smaller. Do whatever pattern you want and then define it as a pattern. When you are ready to use it, open your new document, whatever size you want. And do fill wtih pattern.

I'm not sure I have called everything what you are supposed to call it. I may just have to run and try it. I know you can do it though. I learned it on a training video and I know I did it once. Obviously I haven't done it since or I would remember it better. Perhaps this will at least point you in the right direction. If I figure it out I will post back here.

Okay, I just did it :-)

Here's what I did:

Made a 1X1 document. Drew my pattern on this. I used squares and just drew a bunch of colored squares. Once done-

Edit-Define pattern. Name it whatever you select.

Create a new document and go to Layer- New Fill Layer-Pattern.

The pattern you just defined will be selected as default I think. Click and wa-la- you should have your background paper :-)

Hope that helps!

You can make a bunch of cool pattern by using the brushes and custom shapes!

Here's what I did:

Made a 1X1 document. Drew my pattern on this. I used squares and just drew a bunch of colored squares. Once done-

The pattern you just defined will be selected as default I think. Click and wa-la- you should have your background paper :-)

Hope that helps!

Thanks So much Jenn, I will give that a try during my daughter's naptime today!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Here's what I did:

Hope that helps!

Thanks So much Jenn, I will give that a try during my daughter's naptime today!!!!! Thanks!!!!!

Yep worked great!!!! Yea, Yea,...Yea!!!!!!!!

Here's what I did:

Hope that helps!

Yep worked great!!!! Yea, Yea,...Yea!!!!!!!!

Yeah!! Don't you just love it when something that you had been trying to figure out works? Yipee!!! Post your paper if you get a chance. I would love to see what you made :-)

Incase any reads this also I found this super neat little book at Barnes & noble called....

Digital scrapbooking by John slater

it is super cool walks you thru alot of neat stuff like this & I think i paid at the most 10bucks for it.

Caren

Incase any reads this also I found this super neat little book at Barnes & noble called....

it is super cool walks you thru alot of neat stuff like this & I think i paid at the most 10bucks for it.

Caren

Hey Jenn thanks super cool trick there !!!

Caren gnna have to try this I am super bored right now & need something to entertain me LOL

Caren

Thanks again!!

Caren

Thanks for the suggestion Caren. I love books!!! Will have to go check this one out :-)

Guest ScrappyDiva

Thanks, Stacy. I haven't opened my copy of the new Digital Scrapbooking mag yet, but I'm going to right away to get this TUT on pg. 112. Thanks for the tip!

Archived