Capturing Anything You Want

I have skimming through a lot of the posts, and I have seen scrappers ask to save X, Y or Z for later use. Ladies, I have your answer that you always wanted, but was afraid to ask.

I use a program called EverNote. This is another FREE program that I use every day. It is quite simple to use, just click and drag on any email or web page and highlight a bunch of info. Text, photos, images, etc., it doesn't matter. Then right click on text and save to EverNote, or just drag the highlighted info to the EverNote icon, or use the 'clipper' that comes with the program The clipper allows you do capture and save a screen shot or to clip any data to EverNote. And did I mention the secret word FREE?

Check it out here: http://www.evernote.com/en/ (not sure, but I think the /en/ is for English, but it is available in other languages).

I scan in reciepts and save them in EverNote. EverNote saves everything as a database in a adding machine tape looking strip. You can add tags to the notes, recall them, print them out, or email them. It may take a little while to get used to it, as I don't do very well explaining things, but I promise you, you will try to figure out how you ever got along without it before. Because it save these tape strips as a database, I have databases just for Camera, Photoshop, Scrapbooking, Misc Info or whatever you can dream up.

You can, of course, buy a better version, but the free version works flawlessly.

I use it too & love it! I've got categories set up for my SG wishlist (which is a very long list!), tutorials (broken into subcategories - digi scrapping, photography hints and general computer info), journalling, layouts to be done, list of materials that I'm using while working on a LO, etc. Works great! Gotta love the price too - fits right into the budget!

Dear Uncle Dannie,

I was going to ask you to be my scrapbooking boyfriend until you told us about a wonderful program that is PC-based only. You have hurt my feelings.

Your former almost scrapbooking girlfriend.

Bunny Bransford

I'm with Bunny- us poor Mac folks feel neglected :-(

Just kidding. But I would like something like that for a Mac. Anyone know of anything like that?

Bunny, you are hysterical!

Back in the good old days when we had Hypercard, I could set up something very similar to Evernote. I don't know anything about Google Notebook. I'm thinking you can set up a spread sheet in Microsoft works and have it show up in a rolodex form.

I just looked at Pages in iWork. I don't know how old your Mac is and whether or not it will run iWork, but I'm thinking Pages is going to turn out to be pretty exciting. My college daughter uses iWorks Keynote instead of PowerPoint because it is so much easier yet more sophisticated than PowerPoint -- plus she can convert it to PowerPoint when she has to give a presentation in classroom where only a PC is available.

I'm going to spend a little time on Pages to see what I can coax it to do. It looks really exciting and actually gives you a table of contents as well as several ways to view it, sort it, use different templates with it, import and export it using either Word or Works. I may take a look at the support group to see if anyone has tried to set up a be all end all reference and retrieval system like we need.

Mac Users, send me an email -- not a Private Message but an email -- bunnybransford@comcast.net -- telling me what type of features you want and I will see what I can get done. I'm thinking we will end up with a set of templates and you will choose the one that is right for the job you want to do. I will also find out what model Macs this program works on and see if I can get Steve Jobs to possibly sponsor this as an example for the iWork website in exchange for a site license copy of iWorks. (Yes, I have connections to Steve Jobs -- although I don't have my iPhone yet.)

Let's see what we can get going!

Bunny

I've been using Evernote for a few months now, ever since another member here mentioned it. It is very handy. I haven't gotten into setting up any categories or anything. I'll have to take some time to do that.

Google notebook is really cool and easy to use but it is online only, so it's not for those on dial-up. I like it cause google takes care of the database for me, it doesn't reside on my computer. So I won't lose it in a crash, don't have to back it up, don't care how big it is, and can use it at any computer. I liked Evernote just fine, but for offline I had been using something similar called Scrapbook. I decided to change because of the above reasons.

We actually recommend EverNote and Kaboodle as great ways to save your Wish Lists. Look at the top left hand of the Boutique! (We had to find a good solution while we wait for the shopping cart company to develop something. LOL)

Meanwhile, loads of us have fallen in love with EverNote because it is useful for so many things. I've had my Mac friends looking for alternates ever since!

I have both a Mac and a PC, both laptops, sitting side by side and use them both all the time. Evernote is indeed great for the PC, but as far as I know, there isn't anything comparable for the Mac. However, it is fairly easy to grab a "screen shot" on the Mac, and then you can put it where you want to save it.

The keypress combination is SH+CTRL+OPTION+4 -- when you click all four of those keys (one handed operation if you are VERY coordinated), the cursor turns into a circle with a cross-hair. Just click and drag across what you want to save, and when you release the mouse button, it copies to the clipboard. You can then paste it (CTRL+V) into a document.

I haven't worked much with Pages, but if it has an indexing function, that might just be the ticket.

Susan

Bummer! I'm crushed Scapbunny! I got beat out by a MAC? Well, maybe I can weasel myself back into your good graces. For a paltry $30 bucks, there is voodoopad lite. Also, there is Devonthink at $40, and Journler Personal which is free. Just do a Google Search for each name and read all about them.

And I second the motion for Google Notebook. For a web-based freebie, it can't be beat. BTW, I used to own MAC's, but I have so much more creative freedom with a PC. If I only did Photoshop CS3, then the MAC would be the winner. But I like to muddle around the intterior of computers, so I sold the MAC and bought a PC. Running Vista, it's a lot more stable.

Archived