Scanner That Could Scan 3 4x6 Horizontal Photos At Once

patkerr

I have just started trying to scan all my pictures and my mom and dad's old pictures to the computer - probably over a thousand pictures. My problem is I am using an Epson 4180 Photo printer. I can put two 4 X 6 in the scanner and it will divide them for me. I am looking for a scanner on which I could put three 4 x 6 horizontal picture and then get them divided. This is the only scanner I have ever had, so I don't know if all scanners divide pictures automatically or not.

Any suggestions?

Pat, I have the Epson Perfection 3590 Photo Scanner, but I haven't tried scanning 3 photos at once. I have to leave right now, but I'll try it out later this afternoon or early evening and let you know. Stupid me - I never thought to try this!

All of the scanners I have ever used, and that's been a bunch, will give you a pre-scan and you can use your select tool to select the specific thing you want scanned. After it scans that and you save it, the scanner should take you back to your original pre-scan view where you simply move the selected area to the next picture, tell your scanner to scan it and save it like you always do. Then you will be taken back to your original pre-scan view and repeat the process again. And if you have to change the shape of the area you want scanned, don't worry, just use the little boxes at the corners of the selected area.

It's a snap!.

Bunny

Pat, place your pictures on the platen (scanner bed) any way you can -- sideways, upside down, whatever. If your scanner has a "straighten" feature, use it when you do your scan so that no matter how your picture is oriented, it will be straight in that orientation. You can do the rotating in your photo manipulation program.

My first scanner was a LaCie. It cost more than $1,000. (That was about 22 years ago when color scanners were first becoming available for the home market. Since then I have used HPs, Epsons and Canons -- at least two of each. Right now I have both an HP and an Epson. Not only have they both advanced in quality of image, they are both incredibly cheaper and smaller than my LaCie, and don't weigh nearly as much. I have never used an "all-in-one" scanner-copier-fax machine. I use my scanner mainly to scan photos. If I need copies of a document, I will scan it and print it. If I need a lot of copying done, I go to Kinkos. I have a separate fax machine. Fax machines are so cheap now that I don't take the chance of having all my equipment knocked out due to a double whammy from lightning coming in on two separate devices.

Oh, and by the way, if ya'll think I must be very wealthy to be able to afford so much equipment, I'm not. Almost all of the equipment I used was purchased through my husband's discretionary fund. He brought it home so I could do last minute stuff for him before he attended meetings or conferences or things like that. That's the way I learned about all the things I do. The equipment I have now is my own and I guard it with my life because if any of it dies, I have to spend a lot of time saving up the bucks necessary to replace it.

Bunny (who has said nothing funny in this email but wishes she had)

Pat, place your pictures on the platen (scanner bed) any way you can -- sideways, upside down, whatever. If your scanner has a "straighten" feature, use it when you do your scan so that no matter how your picture is oriented, it will be straight in that orientation. You can do the rotating in your photo manipulation program.

My first scanner was a LaCie. It cost more than $1,000. (That was about 22 years ago when color scanners were first becoming available for the home market. Since then I have used HPs, Epsons and Canons -- at least two of each. Right now I have both an HP and an Epson. Not only have they both advanced in quality of image, they are both incredibly cheaper and smaller than my LaCie, and don't weigh nearly as much. I have never used an "all-in-one" scanner-copier-fax machine. I use my scanner mainly to scan photos. If I need copies of a document, I will scan it and print it. If I need a lot of copying done, I go to Kinkos. I have a separate fax machine. Fax machines are so cheap now that I don't take the chance of having all my equipment knocked out due to a double whammy from lightning coming in on two separate devices.

Oh, and by the way, if ya'll think I must be very wealthy to be able to afford so much equipment, I'm not. Almost all of the equipment I used was purchased through my husband's discretionary fund. He brought it home so I could do last minute stuff for him before he attended meetings or conferences or things like that. That's the way I learned about all the things I do. The equipment I have now is my own and I guard it with my life because if any of it dies, I have to spend a lot of time saving up the bucks necessary to replace it.

• 9 months later...

Our scanner it legal sized, so we can fit 4 on it, though what we miss from the first scanner we had is batch scanning. I was bummed the newer ones didn't have it. You could select one, hit a + sign and add another and scan them in a batch. Maybe since the first ones were so much slower, they think we shouldn't need that anymore. Oh well, it was really nice.

I have a Brother MFC 665CW, multi-function Scanner, copier, printer and fax machine. I can scan multiple items by using the PaperPort software that comes with the printer. What I do is put the multiple photos on the scanner (4-6 small photos), then do a pre-scan. When the pre-scan is done there are the photos. I then use the select tool and one by one I outline the photo that I want scanned, then hit the start button and it scans that one photo. I then do the same for each of the photos and they all get scanned and saved in the PaperPort file and then you can rename them anything that you want. They get saved in My Paper Port Documents and then in the sub-directory Samples. That's it, real easy. I know that BestBuy has this MFC 665CW for about $150, as I just happened to see it there the other day when my friend was looking for a new printer. And from what I can see, nobody seems to be making just printers anymore. They are all multi-function 3-in-one machines these days.

Hope this helps.

Archived