What Do All Those Abbreviations Mean?

Guest jlf_loves_mjf

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Help me! I got the warning symbol almost immediately after I started posting on some of the games last weekend (which was my first weekend to really start using the message board or chat).

I know at the very beginning, my signature was a little funky, but I think I got it cleaned up.

And, I didn't know about the different levels of Scrap girls (good girl, vs. girlie girl) & and put the SG. devotee (which I am) blinkee on. I have since turned this off. Shame, shame on me.

But, if you don't know why you have the warning on, you don't know what to fix.

Oh, I also changed my avator back to a common avator, because I don't have 2500 posts. Didn't know that either and it let me put my own picutre in - how was I to know that. But, that is fixed.

But, when you just turn the warn light on, and I have to read through all of these messages, I don't know what all to fix. HELP!!!!! I don't know who I've offenened or what I'ved done wrong or am I still doing something Wrong?

HELP ME! I want to do it right!

Hey Debi! Everyone has the Warn thing under their name you just can't see anyone elses, nothing to worry about. You would receive a PM from one of the team if there was something we needed you to fix. You can put your avatar and blinkie back as anyone can choose what they want! PM me if you have any questions or concerns!

[quote name='debilou' post='267079' date='Oct 26 2007, 01:14 PM']Help me! I got the warning symbol almost immediately after I started posting on some of the games last weekend (which was my first weekend to really start using the message board or chat).

I know at the very beginning, my signature was a little funky, but I think I got it cleaned up.

And, I didn't know about the different levels of Scrap girls (good girl, vs. girlie girl) & and put the SG. devotee (which I am) blinkee on. I have since turned this off. Shame, shame on me.

Oh, I also changed my avator back to a common avator, because I don't have 2500 posts. Didn't know that either and it let me put my own picutre in - how was I to know that. But, that is fixed.

But, when you just turn the warn light on, and I have to read through all of these messages, I don't know what all to fix. HELP!!!!! I don't know who I've offenened or what I'ved done wrong or am I still doing something Wrong?

HELP ME! I want to do it right![/quote]

Oh everyone has that!! I don't think we have ever even had to use them. Nothing to worry about. :D

[quote name='sailbeachcatz177' post='267098' date='Oct 26 2007, 12:42 PM']Hey Debi! Everyone has the Warn thing under their name you just can't see anyone elses, nothing to worry about. You would receive a PM from one of the team if there was something we needed you to fix. You can put your avatar and blinkie back as anyone can choose what they want! PM me if you have any questions or concerns![/quote]

Thanks so much for responding so quickly. I just didn't want to feel "stupid". debi

• 1 month later...
[quote name='debilou' post='267079' date='Oct 26 2007, 10:14 AM']Help me! I got the warning symbol almost immediately after I started posting on some of the games last weekend (which was my first weekend to really start using the message board or chat).

HELP ME! I want to do it right![/quote]

Wow! Your questions were so wonderfully, refreshingly like my own! I found your post when a nice person responded to my own post revealing how intimidating all this is. I am very reassured to see you hung in there and have now many posts and obviously flourished! Yea! That warning thingy scared me! So...There IS hope for me, too! I am amazed by the nice feedback! Amy

When I first joined SG ... I kept seeing DH, DD and DS .... since this was mostly a digital site ... I thought they meant

DH - Digital Husband
DS - Digital Son
DD - Digital Daughter

Since they were the majority of our scrapping projects. Thanks for this thread ... I have wondered and never asked!

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='wings' post='21404' date='Jul 25 2005, 03:37 PM']This is one of my favorites from work... WOMBAT (waste of money, brains, and time).[/quote]
WOMBAT --- I've never heard that abbreviation before -- or if I did, I thought it was a flying creature... LOVE THIS ABBREVIATION !!! Thanks for posting this defination [size=5]W[/size]aste [size=5]O[/size]f [size=5]M[/size]oney, [size=5]B[/size]rains [size=5]A[/size]nd [size=5]T[/size]ime -- WOMBAT !!!! :disappearing-smilie:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hi everyone,
Thanks for sharing all your abbreviations with us and getting back to me so quickly. And thanks to Catherine for compiling into one list. I think by the time we finish this list, (maybe there is no end) we'll have lots and lots. Please add on any time you think of any or see them written anywhere. The original list I saw was very long so I'll try to find it. Have to leave my list and my computer for I'm subbing all this week. See you all around in one class or another.

Lynn

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='lesliefavela' post='12592' date='May 9 2005, 03:59 PM']lol Aw, don't feel bad girls. As soon as I close this window, I've already forgotten most of them. Maybe I'm having one of these. :blondmoment: Are we allowed to use this as an all year excuse? :rofl:[/quote]
I personally like "senior moment" myself. Being in the 60+ age group, it fits. But then again, so does blonde. But as a friend once pointed out, if it's a senior moment you're okay. If you start having "senior months" then you're in big trouble.

Love the abbreviations. Keep them coming.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
For those of you who have kids who use MSN messenger you need to know these:

POS - parent over shoulder
MOS - mother over shoulder
FOS - father over shoulder

LOL Always good to know the lingo of the kids. There are a ton more and if you do a google search you will find them easily.

TTFN & CYA L8R!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
The only ones I haven't seen - and they're used widely in my career field are:

RTFM which stands for Read the "Friendly" Manual - you can insert any other appropriate word for the "F".
IT = Information Technology (computers and such; my career field)

Sorry, I kept seeing this blinkie with Zaz on it, and I thought it was an abbreviation, but then I read a bunch of stuff and figured it out. Zaz is a "who" and people were threatening to duct tape her to a wall and someone made a blinkie to illustrate the point. lol

• 1 month later...
[quote name='stresswizard' post='203066' date='Aug 15 2007, 12:13 PM']Here's another one that I've seen quite a few times - although no necessarily in DIGITAL scrapping ...

FUBAR - Fowled Up Beyond All Recognition ... the F can stand for other words as appropriate to your cuss word[/quote]

So Funny! A guy in my office always says that! I had to ask him what it meant; I thought he made it up.

• 6 months later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
:clapping_kitty: Thanks so much for the lists ALOT to learn. . .I keeping saying "huh?" in chats cause I really only know a few of these. . .

Would like to add mine: HOS = Husband Over Shoulder. . .

I made this one up over the last weekend (mischief week WHAT FUN) cause I kept telling DH "no I'll stay off the chats the rest of the day" , & he kept coming in the room & catching me back there again. . .LOL. . . TTFN. . .Debi :clapping_kitty:

Since my company produces fundraising software and supports it...

We also use RTFM (Read the Fine Manual) internally, but don't actually use it for clients.

We use instant messenger to ask questions of each other. When someone can't answer because they're talking to a client, they use otp (on the phone)

We have a new one though, that my staff now puts in the call log sometimes:

PICNIC

Problem in chair, not in computer!

It's the best new one I've seen in a long time. And it works for oneself, as when I'm feeling stupid or slow, "this is a PICNIC."

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived