What Do All Those Abbreviations Mean?

Guest jlf_loves_mjf

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest moondancer
Wow! A lot more than I ever thought! Are we supposed to memorize these?! LOL Seems, before you say anything, you have to check your list for a shortcut. Pretty funny...I think I really like the WOMBAT and of course, I love Judy's version of DH...think I can refer to my ex as that one ~ also PITA is suitable as well! The only one I can come up with is ROFLMAO - Rolling on floor laughing my a** off!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mandiannie
this is a very LONG list. Love that YMMV!!!! I think if I can remember that I'll use it more often. I know most of them on sight but hardly ever use them except for TFL and LOL

I think it really depends on the area that you are working in. Each hobby and interest site has their own set. You can always do a google search on internet abbreviations and chat speak abbreviations. There are tons of lists out there that have the abbreviations and translations of all of the emoticons that are out there. I think that you could drive yourself crazy trying to keep up with all of them. When in doubt of what someone means....Just ask!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest watmuzzer
I'm surprised that I didn't see [b]SH[/b] on the list. It stands for [b]Scrap Happy[/b] (it used to mean slap happy). It describes someone who is slightly dazed and slow to respond to things because they've been concentrating on scrapbooking for hours. It could also be used to describe someone who has been shopping at the boutique for hours.

My husband tells me I'm [b]SH[/b] quite often.

Cyndie

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Fun! Thanks to Catherine for the long list. I'm saving it for reference.

I just learned that CC means constructive criticism - at least I think that's what it means.

I had been using LOL to mean lots of love and now I learn it means laughing out loud. Oops! No harm done I guess.

[quote name='PV Mom of 2' post='151925' date='Jun 5 2007, 02:04 PM']I thought I knew most of them by now but one was used today that I don't know. What does [u][b]imdb[/b][/u] mean?[/quote]

OKAY! Well, I had just given up on being able to speak this "language." So I logged onto the forum and decided I would simply ask what all these abbreviations meant as I felt everyone knew them but me. And low and behold, here was this INCREDIBLE list. WOW! I've copied them into an EXCEL sheet so it would alphabetize them for me (I'm lazy) -- and now I have my reference sheet. I travel internationally a lot and have a gazillion phrasebooks to help me out from land to land. I think someone should create an abbreviation phrasebook.

I think Shari asked (back on June 5th) what imdb meant. I only know that abbreviation as International Movie Database -- as in imdb.com. I'm a little weird and have all my DVD's categorized and listed in a spreadsheet and kept in a notebook. I go to that site often to get the comments and ratings to add to my database. I'm my own video store, it would seem and love to share my list with family and friends so they can borrow my movies. Don't know if that's the same imdb -- probably not... probably means something completely different!

• 4 weeks later...
[quote name='Ro' post='35803' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:48 PM']Artist Trading Card.

They are were started as playing cards that were altered and made fun. But then people started making all kinds of cards and sharing them. They are never sold, but are traded amoung artists for fun.[/quote]
As a newie,I really appricate these explanations. I was stuggling to interpret, you wouldn't belive some of the translations I had.

[quote name='barnes642' post='184662' date='Jul 10 2007, 12:30 AM'][quote name='Ro' post='35803' date='Mar 11 2006, 10:48 PM']Artist Trading Card.

They are were started as playing cards that were altered and made fun. But then people started making all kinds of cards and sharing them. They are never sold, but are traded amoung artists for fun.[/quote]
As a newie,I really appricate these explanations. I was stuggling to interpret, you wouldn't belive some of the translations I had.
[/quote]

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest auntydawn
Just new to digi scrapbooking and been reading some threads to pluck up some courage to post. Bet you have't heard this one FLPBJ, stands for full length paper bag job, this is how I feel when I look in the mirror (ie. should wearing a full length paper bag)

[quote name='varanda' post='11714' date='May 6 2005, 07:35 AM'][quote name='jlf_loves_mjf' date='May 3 2005, 02:12 PM']DH - (Dear/Darling) Husband
DS - (Dear/Darling) Son
DD - (Dear/Darling) Daughter
[right][post="11452"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

can also mean Darn (or worse) Husband, etc. depends on the day you are having! ;)
[/quote]

It took me [u]ages[/u] to work out what DH meant! I knew it was something to do with husband - and it certainly wasn't darling that entered my mind!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived