Weekly Challenge May 8-14, 2005

Guest Pixel Lady

Guest Pixel Lady
Hello,

Here is this weeks challenge, it is the three colors and bows...and at least 3 bows. Have fun!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/pixellady/Weekly_Challenge_3.jpg[/img]

Here is my LO: [url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1883"]Mom [/url]

The hexadecimal numbers for the colors are:

Pink- BD687B
White - FFFFFF
Black - OOOOOO

Don't forget to post your LO's in the weekly challenge gallery and your links here, please :)

Michelle

Guest gauchogirl
GOod challenge. Here is mine:
[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1887"]http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.ph...cmd=si&img=1887[/url]
tonya

Guest Pixel Lady
Leslie, yes any kind of bows.

Tonya, thanks for playing...I left you scrappingess!

Guest DeeZee
Michelle, I figured out how to recolor using the numbers in PSP! Oh, I'm so excited LOL! I played with it and it WORKS! Hooray...

But now I have a BIG ole' problem. This makes ALL of my elements work in ANY color scheme ....... TOO MANY CHOICES! LOL!

Guest Pixel Lady
You're welcome Leslie!

DeeZee...I'm happy you figured it out! I knew you would :) I know about the choices! Somtimes it's better not knowing...LOL! Just kidding

Guest lesliefavela
[quote name='DeeZee' date='May 9 2005, 11:57 AM']Michelle, I figured out how to recolor using the numbers in PSP!  Oh, I'm so excited LOL!  I played with it and it WORKS!  Hooray...

But now I have a BIG ole' problem.  This makes ALL of my elements work in ANY color scheme ....... TOO MANY CHOICES!  LOL!
[right][post="12521"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

You can get more bang for your buck now! :dancingelephant: Woohoo

Guest darklighter
Man, bows, and I only have boys. I guess I will have to figure something else to scrap :)

Guest Pixel Lady
Darklighter, I have three boys so I know what you mean...however it can be done. Here are two of mine with bows/ribbons...and one is 18!!

[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1762"]Young Man[/url]
and
[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1763"]A Boy and His Dad[/url]

HTH!

Michelle

Guest Alie471
Bow ties work with little men. Also twine bows. But big puffy ribbons are probably out of the question. :)

Guest DeeZee
Katie, do one of YOU!! Don't have to scrap the kids ALL the time (this coming from someone who just scrapped herself for the first time last week LOL!)

Guest Pixel Lady
DeeZee, I agree! Katie go for it...scrap yourself, or some of your favorite things....mmmmm no don't do that, it's next weeks challenge...hint, hint. But scrap one of yourself! We HAVE to remember US!!

Thanks Laura! Laura, you are so incredibly busy (re all those design team blinkies)!! I'm impressed :)

Guest DeeZee
[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1921"]My color challenge layout[/url]

Here's mine! Hope I did the recoloring right, but I think I got it close at least. Whew, I had to pick a hard one to start LOL! Would have been easier with individual elements instead of a quick page.

Guest Vania16
Here's mine - I posted it last night, but forgot to put a link here :) I should really stop scrapping in the wee hours of the morning . . .

Loved the challenge this time thought - great color combo!

[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1926"]Weekly Color Challenge Layout[/url]

[quote name='darklighter' date='May 9 2005, 07:32 PM']Man,  bows,  and I only have boys.  I guess I will have to figure something else to scrap :)
[right][post="12534"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

What about shoelaces? Just as an added embellishment, if not making one about tying shoes or what not.

Shai

[quote name='Pixel Lady' date='May 9 2005, 04:23 AM']Hello,

Here is this weeks challenge, it is the three colors and bows...and at least 3 bows.  Have fun!
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v374/pixellady/Weekly_Challenge_3.jpg[/img]

Here is my LO: [url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1883"]Mom [/url]

The hexadecimal numbers for the colors are:

Pink- BD687B
White - FFFFFF
Black - OOOOOO

Don't forget to post your LO's in the weekly challenge gallery and your links here, please :)

Michelle
[right][post="12457"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Whooo hooo ... I've been waiting for you, Michelle! :)
Shai

Guest Juliet_A
***WARNING: THIS IS GOING TO BE A VERY OPINIONATED AND NEGATIVE RANT. iF YOU DON'T LIKE READING THAT KIND OF THING, PLEASE JUST PASS OVER THIS POST AND PRETEND I DIDN'T WRITE IT***

I am going to share with you some of the thoughts and feelings I have been addressing since taking on this challenge. These are all just opinion, and are not meant to suggest that I have any bad feelings towards anyone.

The first thing I thought when I saw the colors for this challenge was, "Black, white, and Pepto Bismol". Guess what color is not a color that I like? Not only do I not like working with it, I really couldn't imagine what picture I might have to place on a layout that color.

Nobody in my house likes any color of pink. Last week, I got yelled at by my daughter because I used pictures of her in the color challenge. "Pink!" she kept ranting, "how could you use pink!"

I really was not interested in doing pink layouts two weeks in a row. I should have just passed on it, but...

...my mother reminded me just last week of a challenge one of her art teachers in college gave her, to use her three least favorite colors in a project. Apparently, most of the students who do this find that they like those colors after all. So, for my mother's sake, I didn't blow off this week's challenge, but decided to go through with it, and maybe I would learn to like this pink.

As I scanned through my digital photos, I noticed that my mother had a wee bit of pink in her sweater, so I snagged it for the layout. However, my mother thinks bows are fussy. I knew she wouldn't like one of them - how was I going to put three in there?

As it turns out, the only thing my mother likes less than bows in a layout is charms. I can almost hear her now ("my gawd, why is there all this garbage cluttering up a perfectly good picture?"). She doesn't like country style anything, either. How could I resist?

[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1934"]A layout my mother would hate[/url]

To make matters worse, my mother looked terrible aganst all that pink. It made her hair look yellow and her face green. To compensate, I spent quite a bit of time airbrushing a bit of pink into her complexion and using Saturation Down on her hair to keep it silver. (these are useful tips that justify this whole long post, heh heh) After doing all that, I felt I needed to salvage the mess I had made, so I replaced the background with one in a color that I actually liked (TEAL!), and colorized the other elements to go with. It still has those bows and charms, but at least it isn't that pink.

[url="http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?act=module&module=gallery&cmd=si&img=1935"]Same thing only with teal and no gingham[/url]

So, if you have read this far, please look at the two and tell me which you like better. I'm willing to concede that I don't have great taste, Maybe pink really is the better color.

Guest Vania16
Okay, I really should know this by now, but how do you recolor with the numbers? I usually just do it "by hand" - select, fill, etc. I have PSP and PS so help in either one would be appreciated . . .

And, Juliet - fully understand your distaste for pink - I used to hate it, thought it was too girly and stereotypical. But, lately it's grown on me - I think by the same route as your art class story - had to do it and eventually started to like it. One thing that has really helped me in dealing with odd color combos in LOs is turning the pictures to black and white - Cathy Zielske (hope I spelled that right) suggested that in her Simple Scrapbooks book and I have done it ever since - you can use any crazy color at all in a LO and it's no problem coordinating with the picture. Plus, black and white looks cool - especially with a little Virtual Photographer help. Just my two cents . . .

Guest DeeZee
Vania,

Over there on the toolbar is a tool called "change to target brush" (this is PSP9 and is in the same drop down as the hue/saturation etc selection) If you select it, you can use your color palette just like any other brush, so you can plug in the numbers for the color you want and then just brush over what you want to convert. What I did was to use the magic wand to select the areas on the quick page that I wanted to recolor and then brushed over them with this tool -- it was harder than doing something with layers just because selecting was harder (with layers, I could have selected each element separately), and because the easy page that I used had so much detail that all the little specks and swirls were hard to select with the grungy stuff over it.

Is this what you meant?? Maybe I missed your question entirely LOL!

I just learned this one and it's cool!

Guest nelly
[quote name='Juliet_A' date='May 10 2005, 06:36 PM']
***WARNING: THIS IS GOING TO BE A VERY OPINIONATED AND NEGATIVE RANT. iF YOU DON'T LIKE READING THAT KIND OF THING, PLEASE JUST PASS OVER THIS POST AND PRETEND I DIDN'T WRITE IT***

i have to say that i actually like the pink one better!! i don't know if its the colour blue that you used, or what, but definitely the pink!!

sorry :unsure:

Guest Vania16
DeeZee - thanks - that is pretty much what I was wondering. Sounds like the same technique, but with numbers instead of the dropper. I'll have to give it a shot tonight :)

Guest DeeZee
were you using the fill tool? I never had any luck that way, it would flood the details. Can you explain how you were doing it, because maybe it's easier your way!!! I've only been using PSP about 5 months and always learning!

Guest lesliefavela
Juliet,
I think both of your layouts look fine. It really is a matter of choice when you do any artwork. Do what makes you happy!!!
And as for the color choices, I'm with you. I'm fine with this week's, but I didn't much care for a couple combos I've seen since I came here. Just guessing, but maybe some of the reason for them picking unusual colors, is to get everyone to think outside the box, and to leave their comfort zone. If I come across any challenges I'm not crazy about, then I intend to pass on them, and spend my time doing something else that makes me happy. It has nothing to do with dissing the staff here. Reality is, we're not all going to like the same thing.
Good for you for saying how you feel. You did it with as much as respect as possible. Don't be sorry.

Guest Juliet_A
[quote name='Vania16' date='May 10 2005, 01:49 PM']Okay, I really should know this by now, but how do you recolor with the numbers?  I usually just do it "by hand" - select, fill, etc.  I have PSP and PS so help in either one would be appreciated . . .
[right][post="12812"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

The way I use the numbers is to choose a monochromatic element (like the gingham background in my pink LO), or select part of an element that could be monochromatic (like the gem in some of the charms) and use Colorize in PSP. I just enter the hue and saturation from the assigned colors, and the result is close, if not the right lightness. If I need to lighten or darken beyond that, I do that as a separate step. I find that increasing the contrast often works better than simple lightening or darkening.

To create B&W elements from color ones, I greyscale it first, then increase the contrast until the grey looks black.

Archived