Developing Your Own Film?

Developing black and white film is fairly simple - I was taught how to do it in 5th grade at age 9/10. But, it seems like a lot of equipment would be needed for a home darkroom - including an absolutely-no-light-let-in dark room.

I've never done color film, even though I have taken at least 3 photography classes (5th grade, high school and college), because it is a more difficult and costly process and takes all different chemicals than black-and-white processing does.

Guest nelly
i develop my own b&w every now and again. here in england i bought a darkroom kit from one of the camera stores...it came with all the chemicals, trays, tongs, negative canister and so on. i bought an old enlarger, though i wish i hadn't bought it as its really old and really basic! i would love to have a newer one! but i love doing the film and always feel so comfortable in the darkroom! i miss my college darkroom though! i can tell you that!!!

i think if you can find a kit, its pretty easy, though it takes time. once you get the hang of it, hopefully you will come to love it! i even love the smell of it all!!! we use our bathroom whenever i go to do it....

i have turned to b&w film that is c-41 processing so i don't do it as often! go for it!

Guest darklighter
Yea, B&W is fairly simple, though startup cost can get expensive as you do need the equiptment. I have never done color, but I understand it is very difficult.

Susan

I've found a few different places here that do carry kits for doing black and white, which I plan to get, the color part isn't so bad considering I love black and white photos, lol. For the color ones I'll leave that to my digital camera, but as for black and white, it sounds like it could be quite an experience the first few times. I'm sure I could do it even though I may mess up a few rolls, which is okay too because I can usually get them at a really fair rate. I called around to a few different places here, and was told by one photographer that he would be more than willing to help me learn to do it so long as I agreed to pay for the things needed to do it. So I guess in all reality it would be well worth it. I also got offered a job as a photographers assistant, which would include them helping to pay for photography classes at the local college, so it sounds like something that truly may be worth it. I guess when it comes down to it, if the right questions are ask, you get the answers you need in the simplest of terms. I was shocked to find that the photographer I spoke with actually knew of quite a few photographs I had taken, including several of Mount St Helens, so right now I'm truly flying high. Thanks everyone for your input, it's truly appreciated.

Sounds like everything is coming together for you! Being a photographers assistant will really help with the learning process. I was fortunate to learn how to developed B&W in college. It was tons of fun.

Guest nelly
thats awesome!!! one to be offered a job as assistant, and 2 to have so many willing to help!!! go for it!! we use to practise on unused film, to get the hang of it...getting it out of the canister, cutting off the end, getting it onto the reel and so forth! then you turn on the lights and see how you did!! its great practise!!! good luck :dancingchicken2:

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pearl Girl
Your job and taking classes will probably give you access to a darkroom, but you also might want to do some checking around in your area for places where you can "rent" darkroom time. My daughter is learning photography and found a couple of those kinds of places where we live.

Archived