Font Trick

I just learned this and I realize it may be common knowledge to some but it was new to me. Someone else's post about installing fonts prompted me to post this.

You don't have to install a font to use it - in Photoshop Elements in Windows anyway, and I would assume in Photoshop too. Don't know about PSP or DIP. If you have your uninstalled fonts in a folder, navigate to that folder and double click on it and a sample page will open. You can then minimize it and open your image program and it will be in the font list. I'm sure that you would have to simplify the text to be able to open your layout again without the font open, but that's usually not a problem. I read this in one of the digital scrapbooking books that are out there. I have several and I went through them while I was killing time during our garage sale this past weekend and I don't remember which one I found it in.

I guess an advantage to doing this would be that you could keep your extra fonts on an EHD or possibly even a CD so that you don't bog down your machine.

Cool pat so neat to know I have a like 500 cd of fonts I purchase a few years ago & just didn't want to lut all that on my hard drive!!

Thanks

Caren

gonna go play in a bit...lol

I tried this for awhile. And I ended up re-installing the fonts I had. Now mind you, I'm not a huge font collector, so I have less than 300 fonts.

Here's what changed my mind...

I had been saving my journaling layer as a vector layer. Just in case, I made a typo that I caught later on or something. Well, when you open that layout and it uses a font that isn't installed, you'll get a "can't find font' message, and PSP asks for a substitution. It was rather annoying, so I went back to the old way.

Now of course, you could rasterize the journaling layer, but then you would have to start over with your journaling for a typo or any change.

Just my two cents, but I wanted to let you all know about this "side effect." ;)

Guest Happy99

Pat and Rebecca - awesome tips:) Thank you - I really like Pat's idea because I don't like to "bog" my computer down either and to be able to try out a font without installing is awesome!!!! but Rebecca's "two cents" is good advice too - Thank you:)

The other thing you have to make sure of when you do this is that you have "opened" all of th fonts you intend to use BEFORE starting PS or PSE or PSP. Once the program is running, it won't recognize any fonts that you open afterward. So if you want to use a font that you haven't opened, you have to close the program, open the font, then restart the program. Kind of a pain... I use Printer's Apprentice. I have my fonts organized into different collections. When I'm ready to scrap, I can install/uninstall multiple fonts with one click before I start Photoshop. Printer's Apprentice isn't free the way The Font Thing is, but I find it easier to use, and definitely faster.

That's what's great about this... there are so many different ways to do the same thing, and everyone can use what works best for them! :D

Becca and Jo make some really good points to be aware of. I probably wouldn't be using a font that wasn't installed for my journaling for just that reason. Besides, I have a few that I usually use. I was thinking along the lines of some more decorative fonts for headlines and those you don't mind so much simplifying since they would not be hard to redo if you decided you didn't like the font or you found a typo.

Archived