Have you thought about creating a studio?

Guest JenniaHart

Guest JenniaHart
Have you thought about creating your own photo studio set up at home? I'm seriously considering doing this so I can get some good professional looking picturs of DS more frequently. I have a good camera so all I need is the lighting and backdrops. Has anyone done this and are you willing to share your tips?

Guest rhapsdy
I'm actually a photographer. :) So..yes...I do this alot. In fact...I do on location work and bring the studio to clients homes. You don't have to invest a lot to get good looking pictures. It can be as simple as taping a background to the wall, making sure you have beautiful nateral light streaming in from a nearby window, possibly a reflector on one side to help with shadows (I use a large peice of white foam board) and then a willing subject! (the willing subject can be the hardest part sometimes!) I find material such as stretch velour or those velux blankets work great for at home black backgrounds. I personally use a large peice of the stretch velour for my black background on the road. It's great becuase it doesn't wrinlke, washes if a baby has an accident on it, and sucks up the light so it shows up VERY BLACK in photographs :)

Anyways....here is my photography website if you care to look. Feel free to ask questions and I'll answer if I can. :) [url="http://www.adairphotography.com"]http://www.adairphotography.com[/url]

I'm going to give this a try in the next week or two, actually. My older son will graduate this year, and he doesn't think we should spend a pile of money on senior portraits.
I just hope I can get him to cooperate so I get nice ones!

When I was in junior high, I used to do studio shots of my friends for extra money.
We had a home darkroom and I could retouch and print my own. I think the last time I did a home photo shoot, it was my two boys when they were three and a newborn.
Now they are 18 and 15!

Kelly, Thanks for the tips. You do really nice work, a lot of different types of clients and some really creative shots. I'll bet you keep busy!

I always tell people to go for it. But then they tend to start looking at my proof books and realizing that there is no better backdrop than just walking out your door :) I love outdoor photography and as standard prefer to only do indoor studio settings with infants or families with infants. Kelly is right about natural light. I took one the other day at a little girls first birthday with some one holding her over the sink. The window was on one side of her face and the reflection of light coming up from the stainless steel sink made such a sharp contrast it was breath taking. It is always shocking to people when they realize that you can get those kinds of pictures with the bare basics in place :)
I do a ton of family photography cause I love photographing children they are so much fun!! You can check out some ideas at my site if you would like [url="http://www.underthesunstudios.com"]at my website[/url] :)

Guest JenniaHart
Thanks for the tips!! Keep them coming. I thought it would be more expensive to set up than just white foamcore and a vellux blanket. Now I definitely have to give this a go!

Kelly and Tisha, you both do beautiful, touching work. I could just feel the emotion in those photos! I'm so impressed!!

Anybody know where to find black Vellux blankets? Maybe it's just my area, but I have never seen one.

Karla

• 2 months later...
Amazing tips and photos ladies! Great inspiration and it is nice to know that it can be so inexpensive to set up an in house studio!

Guest Stasiu'sMom
We did this too--we used our sun room's natural light with a tabelcloth and some side lighting from utility lights hauled up from the basement. It worked very well--I'm going to do it again and skiup the studio Xmas portraits.

I just have to chime in with everybody else and say great sites and great work Kelly and Tisha! I just may have to try my own Christmas pics this year too!

Guest Pixel Lady
Great work ladies! I will be doing more portrait type work also. I'm going to try the tips here. I've been shooting youth sports for about 2 yrs, this is a whole 'nother ball game...no pun intended lol.

Michelle

I literally stapled a huge piece of chambray/denim to a wall in my garage and it works great --- problem is, my models (2 kids) wont pose anymore and bribing them with candy or money doesn't even work! sigh

• 5 months later...
Guest DeeZee
I've never done this at home but I'd love to! We do a lot of portraits outdoors -- we go drive and find a great spot, and then shoot a few cards full of pics. We usually end up with a few good ones anyway!

Guest bpalmer
this is alot of fun to do! Its easier than most people think. I'm making a little extra money now because people liked my picutres of my niece and husband so much that they are asking me to take picutres for them. Go for it!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived