One More Question About Scanned Pictures

Mindy

If I scan a couple of 4x6 pictures at the same time, I end up with a file with a white background and the pictures on there. What's the easiest way to get the pictures separated and into their proper files? Open them in PSE and crop each picture out & drag into a new file? Use rectangular marquee tool & drag into new file? Scan each picture separately?

How do you deal with your scanned photos? Just want to make sure that I do this right the first time so I don't have to go back and redo them! :whew:

Mindy, I'm by no means an expert, but when I do get the scanned photo in its own document, I make a text layer and just write whatever was on the back of the photo, the names, and the approx. dates if I can remember them. Just quick & dirty, and then I have the information for the future. Then I save it in layers (not as a jpg).

I'm looking at three big boxes of photos that need sorting and scanning...oh my! I guess if I did a little every day, I'd at least be making progress!

PSE5 has an option for "dividing" a scan of multiple pictures down into separate files. I can't remember where it is, but maybe if you post on the PSE forum, someone with PSE specific instructions can hlep you. I have used it before and it worked, but I am at work and PSE5 is on my PC at home.

good luck,

bluejean81

The Divide Scanned Photos is under Images in the menu bar at the top of the workspace. I think 4 had it too but I'm not sure.

I usually use the marquee tool and copy and paste into a new document. If you make your selection, do Copy and then go to File>New>Blank File, the program will make a new file the size of what you copied to the clipboard. Kind of a nice short cut.

Archived