Frustrated With Carbonite

Ohh Rose Ann your to nice..thank you! You put a smile on my face tonight that's for sure.

V, my husband will be happy to know that someone took longer then me to back up. Mine took a little over 2 weeks and he was complaining that I have to much junk on my computer.

V, my husband will be happy to know that someone took longer then me to back up. Mine took a little over 2 weeks.

Mine is taking MONTHS. 91% done now. 180272 MB backed up, only 16936 MB to go! woo-hoo, lol.

I have so much on my HD, even more on my EHD----can't wait to have that backed up, too by Carbonite (though it has back-ups of the HD)

Why my new computer now has 800 gigs....lots of stuff, lots of space.

• 1 month later...

My back-up took nearly a month, of course it didn't help that I kept assigning more and more for it to back-up. But since the intial back-up I haven't even noticed it running. Love the security of knowing that my stuff is getting backed up quickly. I was so bad about remembering to do back-ups to my EHD or to DVD's that sometimes MONTHS would pass before I got around to it.

I remember when Ro wrote about her hard-drive crashing - I could so relate that I actually sent her an email saying you've got to check out Carbonite!

Glad to see they are on top of customer service and that EHD back-up is also in the works.

I started trial of carbonite 5 days ago..... only 10% backed up so far.... and my computer is doing some strange things.... and I was almost ready to give up on it.

So glad I found this thread.... I won't give up just yet.... its nice to read such great responses.

I have actually paused carbonite while I try and find the trojan.... (wowexec.exe) that has suddenly appeared in proccesses list in task manager.... maybe it was just a coincidence? figure I don't want that backed up anyrate..

Has anyone else had similar problems during the backup?

Has anyone else had problems finding and eliminating this trojan.... it keeps reappearing and spybot, ad-aware, trend and avast virus and spyware scanners can't seem to find it... :banghead:

btw.... anyone like to give me the code for the special deal plzzzz????????... lol

The trojan wouldn't have a thing to do with Carbonite. Have you tried Spy Doctor by PC Tools to check for the possible Trojan? I've had it find things that other software couldn't find.

I looked up the name wowexec.exe and there is a real windows process named that. However, there are also Trojans that hide with that name, too. From what I am reading, though, the name of those Trojans start with an underscore _wowexec.exe

You can read about that by Googling.

Your Carbonite backup will take some time. The speed depends upon...

1. How much stuff you have to have backed up

2. How fast your Internet Connection is

3. How much time you allow your machine to simply work on the backup.

Mine did take weeks to do initially. But since that time, I almost never notice that it is happening at all. It is just seeing those dots turn from yellow to green that reminds me.

Thanks Ro.... think I will persist... I am absolutely paranoid about losing the family archives ..

Been researching further.... apparently the genuine process is wowexec.exe - and I do have only that now.

When I first looked it up I looked up wowexe.exe (missing a c). and that is a trojan. I am pretty sure that is what I saw..... but..... maybe not....lol..

Maybe I had both, and managed to remove the trojan? I won't feel so silly if I believe that...

WOW Im actually thinking about doing this now....

But i have a question when it backs up everything does it backup your paint programs? So that if you lose them then you can just go and retrieve them and they will owrk like new? Or do you have to have the actual disk? I dont know if im making sense or not.But will give it a go!

But i have a question when it backs up everything does it backup your paint programs? So that if you lose them then you can just go and retrieve them and they will owrk like new? Or do you have to have the actual disk? I dont know if im making sense or not.But will give it a go!

Carbonite backs up your documents and data. By default it doesn't back up your software or system files. (There are ways to force it to back up program and system files, but I really don't recommend it.) What some folks do to get around this limitation is that they use an additional "full system backup" program like Norton Ghost or Acronis to create an image file of the whole drive. You can then have Carbonite back up that image file, so your backup is stored on our servers. (Running both backup programs at the same time can be problematic though, so I recommend you pause Carbonite while making the full system backup, and then turn off the other program while Carbonite is running. Otherwise, the other backup program will slow Carbonite down significantly - most full system backup programs were not designed to play well with others.)

L.

That's exactly what I do, Len. I use Acronis to back up my system and Carbonite for my files. I have peace of mind. As you know, Angie recently lost her computer and her Carbonite backup saved her life. She was able to get her laptop set back up, install her software again, download Carbonite and do the restore and life returned to normal. She told me last night that not only did she get everything back, she got back a bunch of things that she had deleted. Carbonite had it all.

Like I said, peace of mind. That's why I use it.

Archived