Buyers Remorse Cs3

Kricket

I called Adobe yesterday. asked for the sale price, I didn't get an e-mail about it and was told it only went out to "select"people

but she would give me the sale price if I ordered it right now. Of course, I said yes.

Now I'm having second thoughts ( and I never do that). I don't even get it for 7-10 days and I'm obsessing on it!

What if I can't learn how to use it ( I'm still learning PSE5!).

Will I be able to transfer the brushes I've purchased? What about my tools, special effects, what if I can't figure it out?

Can I keep running both programs for awhile or will I have to stop doing LOs ?????????AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

Will my computer be able to handle it?

I'll stop now. feel a little better. Thanks for listening!

I bought PSCS2 when they had that special offer for PSE owners (last spring). I couldn't turn down that price! :)

And then it stayed in the box for months. I kid you not! I was intimidated, too - and I was happy with PSE5. So there wasn't a big motivation - at that time - to make the switch.

But you know what? I've got it loaded now, and I'm becoming more and more comfortable with it. I LOVE what you can do with brushes in PS that you can't do in PSE. I love masks (even though I don't understand them yet - but I'm taking Denise's class to fix that ;)). And paths? Oh my, they're nirvana. I feel like I could learn and learn and learn, and still not learn all that this program can do. It's amazing. I love it!

I still have PSE5 on my computer as well as CS2 - I don't run them both at the same time. There are still plenty of times when PSE5 is my program of choice for strictly building a layout. But I LOVE CS2! I absolutely love it now. In fact, I wish I'd waited and ended up getting the deal for CS3! :) (I can still upgrade, just don't want to spend more $ just yet.)

I don't know if it helps to hear a story from another cold-feet person, just thought I'd share ('cause I really do understand! :)) It may take a little time, bu I think you are going to love CS3 and be glad that you got it at such a good price. :)

:monkeydance: I bought the CS2 but have not learned how to use it yet either. Now I am wondering if I should upgrade to CS3 and just learn it instead? Does anyone have a thought on that?

I am a graphic designer and have fear of it so don't feel bad..... :clapping_kitty: We can all learn it together! ha

cntrystyln (Sandy)

Adobe sticker shock is intense, but imo their products are worth it. I think if you like PSE you'll *love* PSCS3. Even if only for the mask feature! The full version of PhotoShop is

Awesome-cherries-byWendee.gif

Just open it as soon as it comes and install it and start following the tutorials in the newsletter and on the site. You'll be jumping for joy before you know it!

I just got CS3 on sale this week and I love it so far! When you register your product Adobe lets you choose a gift, one of which is a month of free tutorials for CS3 from Lynda.com. That's what I picked and the tutorials are wonderful. They are short videos that are easy to follow and build on each other. They cover the whole program. And you have a whole month to view them! I highly recommend them.

Okay Kricket! I just got CS3 last Friday and I've been playing with it when my 2 little ones and dh allow me the time. I won't sugar coat it ... there is definitely a large learning curve! However, that said ... it is AWESOME! My main frustrations were ... "Where the heck is it?" I know it can do the same things as my old PSE4 but where is that dang tool?! So, I PM'd someone who I know has CS3 and she's been answering my questions for me and I'm so relieved. I feel like I'm getting up to speed fairly quickly! And I got Ro's More Secrets for PS too. That helps a lot! Feel free to PM me when you have questions. Or you can always put a new topic up on the board and someone will be along. If I don't know the answer I know who to ask! :D And I'll probably want to know the answer too! :D I think I can use it about as good as PSE4 now so I'm excited to learn some new things that I couldn't do before. I'm signed up for the Layer Masks class next week and I chomp at the bit whenever I see a PS tutorial. So don't have remorse ... you'll love it! We'll all get through the growing pains together!

I just got CS3 on sale this week and I love it so far! When you register your product Adobe lets you choose a gift, one of which is a month of free tutorials for CS3 from Lynda.com. That's what I picked and the tutorials are wonderful. They are short videos that are easy to follow and build on each other. They cover the whole program. And you have a whole month to view them! I highly recommend them.

I registered and didn't get a free gift. Did it come in an e-mail after you registered? Maybe my spam filter kept it from me.

I registered and didn't get a free gift. Did it come in an e-mail after you registered? Maybe my spam filter kept it from me.

Oh boy ... I'm glad I read this thread! I went looking and my cable provider's spam filter filtered it out! I was able to retrieve it though so I'm so excited! Yeah!!!

So glad this thread was started. Sounds like you are doing very good with CS3, Shari--that's comforting! Mine came a few minutes ago, and like others, I'm intimidated and almost afraid to download it. Definitely no buyer's remorse, though--I'm so excited! I'll go with Susan's suggestion and keep both PSE and PS on my 'puter for the time being. And, hopefully, I'll get the free gift like Linda--I would call customer service about that Shari--a month of tutorials would be great!

Arghh, now I have to organize (I just downloaded the free trail version of ACDSee yesterday) CS3--what was I thinking???? But with all my collections from the boutique, my supplies have gotten out of hand and I just have to bite the bullet and take the time to organize. May be on the boards less frequently, but I shall return! Eventually...with wonderful LOs featuring type paths, blending modes, etc., etc.

Here's a toot for everyone starting out on this new PS adventure!!! :toot:

I can't say enough about the tutorials on lynda.com. If you have a chance to take the free month of tutorials - make time for it. They are certainly worth it.

Now, they are not a replacement for Ro's Secrets Revealed, because they don't dwell on scrapbooking, but they will sure get you up to speed on using the program. When I got PSP XI last year I got the free tutorials on lynda.com, and when my time ran out, I just went ahead and got a subscription. Not just for PSP - they have literally tons of computer software titles and are considered first rate. For $25 a month, it's a real bargain. I may never have to buy another software book again.

If you have any problems or can't find a tool, don't hesitate to come on the boards and ask! There are a bunch of us who have CS3 that will definitely be able to help you out. And if you don't want to start a new thread, you can always PM me and I'll do my best to help out. :)

You should also check out the University here at SG, there are a ton of great PS tutorials that work in CS3 as well.

Welcome to the CS3 club, you're going to love it! :D

Oh, I know once you get going, Kricket, you're going to love PSCS3. I use PSCS2 and can't handle going back to my old PSE at all. I'm officially spoiled with lots more options. :D I'm hoping to upgrade eventually, but I have OS stuff to upgrade first so I have to save my pennies.

Take a deep breath and ENJOY the challenge!

~Zaz

I just spent some time with the Lynda.com tutorials and they really are cool! They difinately aren't geared toward scrapbookers but it's great for figuring out the program. I was going through some of the filter videos. PS sure can do a LOT of stuff! And I haven't even scratched the surface.

Now I'm off to do a few chores so I can sit at my computer and play with CS3 guilt free for a while later. :D

Being an old PS user, I started with PS 4 and now have CS3, I can tell you this: You will NEVER learn ALL that this program can do. It's THAT great and extensive of a program. The thing is to take it a step at a time and learn what you need as you need to. The customization capabilities of each and every little bitty thing is amazing.

Adobe offers all kinds of online courses for free for registered users. There are live online conferences where you see exactly what the instructor is doing on his PC as you listen to him talking about it. There is a place where you can type in questions that are usually addressed at the end of the class. There are e-movies of these available to view whenever you choose as well. They have a forum like here at SG where you can learn and ask questions. AND there are hundreds of online sites catered to PS-tutorials.

With all that said, I find it easiest to learn from ladies here at Scrap Girls at one of the crops. They are trying to accomplish the same things that you are. AND, as with all things computer, there are 6 ways to do any one thing. Ask how something is done at a crop and you'll get multiple options from all of the ladies.

I purchased PSE5 for my laptop since it doesn't have the capacity for a full blown version of PS. I find it so cumbersome and limiting that I have still failed to REALLY learn it.

As for you ladies considering the upgrade. I think the CS3 upgrade is so much better than the CS2 was. I shoot with Nikon D70 & Nikon D200 DSLR. The new RAW & JPEG capabilities for fine-tuning your photos before you ever even get them imported into PS is worth the asking price alone. You can adjust levels, curves, exposure, white balance, sharpness, fill light, color temperature, saturation, photo size and resolution..... etc etc etc before the photo is ever opened. Those things used to take multiple adjustment layers and would completely blow-out your histogram. NO MORE. Everything is fine-tuned in one dialogue box and you will have a rich fat histogram once you get your photo opened. This is also the route I go to recolor my papers as well!

Yep, you're totally making me want the upgrade, Patty Anne!

We just spent a huge chunk on repairing my DH's car today, sooooo...... I'll just have to work on saving for that upgrade. I'll still have plenty of learning to do on CS2 in the meantime. :D

Yep, you're totally making me want the upgrade, Patty Anne!

We just spent a huge chunk on repairing my DH's car today, sooooo...... I'll just have to work on saving for that upgrade. I'll still have plenty of learning to do on CS2 in the meantime. :D

I'm sure you already have your Adobe Auto-updates on... in which case you probably already have the updated Camera Raw 4.1 (I believe is the newest) You'll have to check the listing for your particular camera. It's worth a double-check just in case. You may be able to get some of the Raw features that I talked about. They have added the option to treat jpeg's just like raw files, so you can do the same type of adjustments on your jpegs.

I'm not sure if the update will help with this. Once I started in CS3, I never looked back! It truly is a better justified update than CS2 was. -Do you ever get the feeling that they tweak one or two things and call it an update just to get another couple of hundred dollars out of you?!?!

I absolutely LOVE the RAW capabilities with CS3. It's so cool to be able to open a .jpeg file and treat it the same way as a RAW, because there are often times when I don't shoot in RAW but I still want the kind of control that I get with using Adobe RAW. It's just cool.

(I'm sure I didn't explain it as great as I feel it. What else is new, lol!) :)

Archived