A Call For Submissions! (edited By Ro: Please Read This String!)

Shari PV Mom

So what are the "rules" and/or etiquette for submitting to multiple publications? Can you submit the same LO? Should it be a different one for each magazine?

Yes, you can submit the same layout...and if you are the luckiest duck and more than one magazine calls/emails you requesting it, the first wins. I have never had this happen to me but have seen it on other message boards. Very rarely does a publications fine print rules state that you cannot have submitted your work to anyone else (for example, Hall of Fame submissions for CK).

I too am going to go for it! I would also like to point out the more you submit, the more chances you have to be published:) So if you cannot pick just one, don't worry, pick 5! Thanks so much to the OP for posting the deadline, instructions, etc.

Cheri

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Question: My Hero LO is from photos taken in WWII. The large image is my dad's military photo, and the group photo was taken by a staff photographer on the South Pacific Island during the war. (I'm not sure which one). All photos were scanned out a 307th reunion book of which my dad was the editor. If I were to submit this, what credits would I give? The reunion book? or ? It would be impossible to get releases from all but a few of the people in the group photo, or the name of the photographer. Would that preclude my ability to even submit or should I submit and see what happens? I don't want to get in trouble with anybody!

Thanks!

I can answer in regards to how Memory Makers deals with this (I had several paper layouts published a few years ago in various publications)...I was in one of their heritage idea books and I simply had to sign a release. I could dig it out of my files to see exactly what it said but it was along the lines of how I didn't know who had taken the photo blah blah blah and it was obviously such an old photo that the photographer was likely no longer alive. In addition, there should be no problem with any professional photos older than 75 years as the copyrite expires.

So I say submit, crediting if you know the source, and if they want the page, they'll let you know how they want to deal with the permission from the photographer if it's needed.

HTH,

Cheri

• 2 months later...

Archived