Paint Shop Pro Vs. Photoshop Elements?

Guest RFBriggs

Guest RFBriggs
Until about 6 months ago, I had used Paint Shop Pro (PSP) exclusively for scrapping, with version 9 being my latest purchase. However, for work purposes, I acquired Photoshop Elements 3, and I have been playing around with it since then. And now I am confused...

I have not fully exploited either program fully, and I am ready to take the plunge and really learn how to do very cool, more advanced stuff with either program. But I am concerned that I will be spreading myself too thin by trying to learn both programs.

What I'd like to find out is, what does PSP9 do better? what does PSE3 do better? Are there things I just can't do in one that I can do in the other?

Is anyone who uses PSP concerned about the near total world domination of Photoshop? especially with regard to books written about advanced techniques? Is anyone who uses PSP concerned about the acquisition by Corel, and PSP's future?

Does anyone who is currently using PSE3 feel like they will have to, at some point, upgrade to the "big" Photoshop? Personally, I can't imagine spending that kind of money, but I'm sure there are things that Photoshop can do that Elements just can't.

Any kind of opinion/information would be welcome.

Thanks! and have a great Memorial Day weekend.

great questions!

I have PSP, but really struggle with it. I think I am an Adobe girl. I mix both Illustrator and Photoshop, and really like the intuitive parts of vector based drawing in Illustrator, especially when I am building templates for crafts.

I tried to build templates in PSP, but I was just not getting the accuracy I wanted, and ended up being a bit frustrated. It does seem to be a great program, and I know lots of designers who do marvelous things in it, but I like PS. I have both PSE and PS7, still haven't upgraded to CS, hope to do that soon. It's still an OUCH in the wallet.

I think you can put PSE to good use for a long time, before, if ever, you feel the need to make that big step. I am liking PSE, it's a pretty handy program!

I haven't used PSP, but I started with Adobe Photodeluxe 1.0 ages ago, and have since moved up to elements 2.0 and just got 3.0 (had a great rebate, plus on sale so I got it for under $50). Ro's new movies in the boutique for PSE3 is great for learning it too, I have learned more since I started that then in the two months I had it before, and I'm only half way thru.

Guest aimeesue
I use PSE3 (am just really starting to "get" it) and I can honestly say I have no fear that I will feel the need to upgrade any time in the near future.

the cool thing about Photoshop is that there are TONS of different ways to do what you wnat to do. Whenever I want to do something -- make a brush or create an overlay -- there are usually a couple of different ways to do it. i like that because at least ONE of those ways will make sense to me!

Guest misshwebster
I'm trying to establish which to use too - novice too both as mainly a paper scrapper but trying to suss out which I should plump for from 2 trial versions.

Some q.s:

discovered the red eye corrector is great in PSP but didn't notice anything special about in in PSE - am I missing something?

having nightmares shrinking down the size of stuff and using layers so far in PSP - no probs in PSE - any tips?

for users of both, or either, what's your top 3 and bottom 3 things about each?

• 6 months later...
Guest Alabama Gal
I learned on PSP 5 and now use PSPX. I thought that because so many of the web sites taught how to scrapbook with PSE3 I just had to have it. I have not used it to do anything to keep but have tried it out. I guess because I have used PSP, now owned by Corel, I feel more comfortable with it.

The one thing that put me off of PSE3 was all the key strokes that I don't have to use in PSPX. It may be easier for a new student but I just didn't find it so. I can use it well enough because I already know PSPX. Lots of the things are done in similar ways but called something different.

I think that either would work out well for you but you must take time to learn the program. If you totally learn just one program that does it all, then you will be OK.

Hope this does not confuse your more.
Enjoy!

I'm just finishing up a Secrets version for PSP 9 (then on to 10). Because there is a certain set of things that I always make sure that scrapbookers learn to do, it helps expose the differences in software very easily.

There are neat things about both programs - and things that I will use PSP for that I can't do in Photoshop or PSE, etc.

But the thing that PSP doesn't have (which I consider critical) is the ability to make a clipping mask. I simply can not imagine life without it, now that I'm acquainted with it.

That said, if you have PSP, use it. It's a nice little program. PSP 9 is a real resource HOG. It just wouldn't run well on my laptop (which is why it has taken me so long to finish up Secrets. I literally had to upgrade my computer in order to do the thing. It ate up so many resources that I couldn't get to the higher-level of tricks that I wanted to teach you without it blue-screening my machine. And my laptop was only about a year old, too!) PSE is not a resource HOG in comparison.

They say that PSP 10 has fixed this problem. If so, then kiss those engineers because they fixed the biggest problem that the software had. If you have PSP 9 and you are struggling with it (like not being able to do enough layers to suit your fancy)... upgrade to 10 or move to PSE.

If you are running well on PSP 9 then you are okay.

Hope that helps!

Guest raynedrop
Well I WAS diehard PSP 7 user ( and 8,9, and just got 10 lol) and love my 7 and love 10 so far..8 made me nuts and 9 wasnt much better since they were both such huge resource hogs but 10 seems to have cleared that up a good bit. HOWEVER............ you knew there would be a however din't you?
I do play with PSE and Photoimpact from time to time and while I like them have never gotten the hang of scrapbooking with them like I can with PSP. BUT I gifted myself with PSCS2 yesterday and I have to say I think I am going to be using it ALOT! Ok so I am a graphics program junkie lol but I did a few tutorials out there for PSCS and I love what it can do! I assume PS7 and PSE2 can do but just had not figured it out! I know I will ALWAYS revert to PSP 7 since its the one I know best but its limitations compared to PSCS on things really blew my mind!
Ok rambling done again. Thanks for listening!
Drop

Well lets see, I have PSP 8, 9 and 10; PSE4, PSCS2, PhotoImpact 11 and...ok, so I have a lot of them.
PSP 10 is what I use 99% of the time. For what I do (and that's the key) I find it virtually the same as CS2. I really don't see anything (that I care to do anyway) that the one can do that the other can't. They all seem to copy and steal from one another so features seem basically the same to me.

I do like that CS2 allows bigger brushes, but I love the ease of PSP. My problem with CS2 is how long it takes to do something. Something that can be done with one click in PSP takes 4 clicks and a couple of memorized keyboard commands in CS2. I see no reason to commit any brain cells to remembering shortcuts...Adobe should simplify the commands so shortcuts aren't needed instead.

When I first opened PSE4 I thought I had accidentally opened PSP...the desktop is virtually the same. The tools down the right side, layer palette on the left, button bar across the top...it's straight out of PSP. And it appears that Adobe did simplify some commands in it. So I call PSE4 a "psp'ed" version of CS2. I have found two things I love about PSE4...the way you can scan and divide multiple photos and the how you can get side by side images when correcting photos.

So before this turns into a book I'll say that I'm keeping them all. I use PSP X for most things, jump to CS2 when I need a bigger brush, and over to PSE4 when I want to scan and divide photos and never open PI11.
Lori

Lori, you just need to keep playing in PSCS2.

There are literally about 3 paths to every single command. Keyboard shortcuts are just one of them. There are lots of right-clicks that do them, too. And of course, the file menus.

The more I work wih PSCS, the more ways I find of doing the same thing.

[quote name='Ro' date='Dec 31 2005, 05:11 PM']Lori, you just need to keep playing in PSCS2.

There are literally about 3 paths to every single command. Keyboard shortcuts are just one of them. There are lots of right-clicks that do them, too. And of course, the file menus.

The more I work wih PSCS, the more ways I find of doing the same thing.
[right][post="30136"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Sorry to say, but I don't see that happening. Even if I learned all the shortcuts or paths, it still takes longer to do anything in CS2/PSE4 and I'm just too impatient. If I had learned Adobe's way first, I'd be use to it, but after using PSP for so many years, slowing down does nothing but get on my nerves.

In PSP, every single command or tool can be made into an icon on a button bar so I put my most frequent ones out there. So for instance, if I want to add a texture, or drop shadow, or bevel, I put that icon on my bar. I put not only all my most used effects on my bar, but things like select all, deselect, invert, etc. All the things I use regularly are available with one click. Can't do that in any of the Adobe stuff, you have to click through lists and such or memorize shortcuts. It may be trivial, but after years of getting things done with one click, having to now take four grates on me (could it be my age???).

And the next thing that slows me down in Adobe is loading things with no previews...ugh!!!! In PSP every single brush, texture, pattern, etc. has a thumbnail and loads with the program. I never know in advance what I want to use so I scroll through the thumbnails until inspired. In CS2 I have to load each set of brushes one at a time and there's no preview until after I've done that. What a time waster! There is just no way I'm going to remember what's in each brush or texture file...even the ones I made myself! I need to see them...but I ain't gonna sit there and load each and every set every single time I use the program.

And textures are even worse! At least when you load a brush file you get a handful of brushes in each set, with textures you have to load each one individually and you never get a preview. I hate it.

And the filter thing in Adobe is the worst! I'm a filter freak and have hundreds, no joke. In PSP, you can have as many filter folders as you want, so I organize them by action...lighting, correction, bevels, fades, etc. You can turn these folders on/off at will from inside PSP. It's so easy.
In Adobe I can only have one folder and it can only hold so many filters. So there's no way to organize them at all. And if I want a filter that's not in that folder I have to shut down the program and restart it. I just find this absurd from such a "professional" program.

So, I'll continue to pop into CS2 when I need a big brush (or until Corel gives us bigger brushes), but I'm the type that when I'm creating, whether digitally or not, I need to "see" all my stuff to inspire me. When I bead I have to lay out all my beads and let my eyes/creativity take them all in. Same thing digitally, I need to see all the textures and brushes and filters and such up front. Just my quirk I guess, as I know millions of Adobe users have no problem loading things one at a time.
Lori

• 2 weeks later...
Guest obsessedfae
I'm a die hard PSP'er lol. I use version 9 and I love it! I cannot for the life of me get used to Photoshop..any versions and the only one I can barely work with is CS. <3 PSP though. :)

Archived