How To Create Your Own Overlays?

mommyco

:disappearing-smilie:

I would like to know how to create my own overlays and I'm sure the answer to this would be to use the ScrapSimple products which of course, I absolutely do love them! I guess, I'm just curious to know how to make my own basic overlay such as polka dots, stirpes, simple shapes, etc.? I'm pretty familiar with the shape tools in PS CS but, as far as getting them in straight lines or rows is the question. Do you use grids? Also, once they're set in its place, what settings are used to make them effective for recoloring? I hope this makes sense. :thanks:

I think the easiest way to create an overlay is to start with a transparent file, then make a new layer, and use your brush tool to make your pattern or overlay shape. Then as long as you save it as a .png file, it will keep the transparency. (And when it asks if you want interlace or none, just choose none. It will leave your template smaller and most programs recognize the non-interlaced ones. Thank Syndee for that tip! :) )

One way to make your shapes into a pattern is to go to your Brush palette, click on Brush Tip Shape and then at the bottom of the box where it says Spacing, pull it out so that you've got some space in between your brush strokes. Then, if you start at one point on your layout, click your brush and then hold the shift key down, and click your brush on the other side of the layout, you'll see that it makes a perfectly straight line to the other point, as far apart as you made your spacing.

There are many ways to make patterns, and that is just one of them! :D HTH!

For patterns, I have found the "define pattern" is my best friend! YOu can start with a small sized background (2x2) and create it however you like, use a grid etc. Then define your pattern from that. Then you can fill a large space with the pattern if you like without worrying about how to match it all up exactly- love it for stripes and plaids!

Archived