How Do You Cut Out An Object?

Joodles

Anyone know where I can get instructions for PSE5 on how to cut an object out of a photo? say I want to remove a person for example out of a picture, how do I do that? I can't figure out how to outline something to cut it (not cropping a square, but the actual outline of the object) I didn't see instructions for that in the first Secrets revealed, anyone know where else I can get that info?

thanks!

OK, I'm going to try to help, although I am fairly new at this, too. PSE 5 has a tool called the magic extractor (I think). You have to use this to cut out. I've done it a few times and it takes some practice, but it's possible. You might try to find it in your tool section on the left and just start playing with it, until you get it.

There may be some better answers out there, but at least I'll have bumped this for you!!

I've used my magnetic lasso to click around an object. Then at the top menu, click select then inverse. Then go to edit and cut. This should remove everything from around the object you have outlined. Just make sure to meet the ending point to the starting point on the magnetic lasso. You'll know when the "marching ants" appear. If you don't like the result, click undo and keep practicing.

That's what I've done, although it is tedious.

Someone has also told me that the magic eraser will delete large sections around objects if there is a large contrast in light/dark sections. However, I have not used it since most of my pictures do not fall in that category.

Good luck!

Here's a sample of an extrraction using the magnetic lasso!

The Magic Extractor is probably the easiest way to do IF there is decent contrast as was stated above. Its found under the Image menu. If that doesn't get the desired result then the Magnetic Lasso tool or the Polygonal Lasso tool is the way you need to go. Again, the Magnetic Lasso works best if there is a good contrast. You choose your tool and then click on the edge of what you want to cut out and then keep clicking around the area, then do Inverse Selection and Delete. HTH

Oh oh oh I finally found it... I used the search button above and finally found the thread that had a link to the video.

layer mask video on google

HTH! I actually go back and watch this once in awhile because I forget... I downloaded it to my computer.

Gosh maybe I'm not understanding what you are trying to do... are you trying to get rid of an object in your photo so you can use the rest of the photo? That's where the mask tool or clone tool would come in handy. If you are trying to get the object out of one photo to use it somewhere else then I would use either the magic extractor or the lasso etc as stated above by Pat and others.

Hope I didn't confuse you. :)

Hi Judy: Is this what you are trying to do? Removing objects from a photo

This was my first gallery layout. I used the magnetic lasso to remove the person on the far right and then filled in the empty space using the clone tool. It's fairly easy if there is a good amount of contrast and you move around the object slowly. And the POWER you feel at being able to just erase the unwanted!!

Archived