Putting A Paper Tear On An Index Card

A-dab-adu

I'm trying to put a Paper Tear on an index card base. I've got the index card colored and journalled

upon. But when I put the tear on, it clips off everything but the tear portion. I've tried moving these

to a transparent document, then I see the tear thru the index card, but it's not clipping the part away

that is torn. Hope I'm making sense.

I looked thru the MB and tutorials, no luck. I have the SS Embellishment Template instructions printed off that came with it, but I'm missing something. I'm using the DMI_SSEmb_Torn2 tear & shadow.

Oops, almost forgot PSE4 :D

Can one of you kind ladies Help?????? :)

Thanks,

Hi,

Check out this Thread and look for the post by Sprinklz (Marnie).

There is also this tutorial in the University by Dinny. The instructions are for Photoshop and uses a layer mask. You can do the same thing in PSE if you have Grants Tools and use that layer mask.

This thread is about how to make the tear a bit wider.

Or here's what I would do (this looks like a lot of instructions but it's not that bad, really, it's just a it wordy)-

Change to the default colours (D)

Create a new layer above your index card

Ctrl click on the thumbnail of the index card in the layers palette - this will but marching ants around the shape (create a selection)

Click on the blank layer in the layers palette

Press Alt+backspace to fill the selection on the new layer with the foreground colour which should be black. This will create a black copy of your index card. Press escape to get rid of the marching ants

Position the paper tear top and bottom layers where you want the tear on the index card, put the 2 layers above you black index card. Hide the bottom tear layer by clicking on the eyeball next to the layer in the layers palette

Click on the top tear layer in the layers palette to select that layer

Select the Magic Wand Tool (W)

Ctrl click on the thumbnail of the tear top layer in the layers palette - this will but marching ants around the shape (create a selection)

Press Ctrl+Shft+I to inverse the selection

Hold down the Alt key and click with the magic wand tool in the blank space behind the top tear. So in the blank space on the opposite side to the torn side (hope this makes sense). When I did that was the lefthand side because I was using the tear in the same direction as it was in the file. Do not click on the tear itself. This will remove this side from the selection and should leave you with a selection of a blank space on the tear side.

Click on the black index card layer in the layers palette and press delete

Press escape and then hide the tear top layer.

This should leave you with a black index card with a torn edge. (If you want to you could save that bit as a PNG and then use it again, but that's a whole other set of instructions)

Drag the black layer below you original index card layer and the clip them together - click on the index card layer and Ctrl+G and then Crtl+E to merge those 2 layers together.

Now for the bottom tear layer. Make that visable again by clicking in the small square next to the thumbnail in the layers palette. Move that layer to below the index card layer.

Ctrl click on the thumbnail of the index card in the layers palette to make a selection. Press Ctrl+Shft+I to inverse the selection.

Click on the bottom tear layer and press delete. This should remove any excess bottom tear.

You can then recolour the bottom tear to what ever colour you want. You could also apply some texture to the bottom tear layer. You can also use a SSPaper template to it some texture, see the bottom of Dinny's tutorial).

HTH

Sue

Archived