Digital Organization

I save everything in folders according to Site-Type of Download-Name of Download
I also save a preview of the Kit/Brush/Tool etc.

These previews I have made into Contact Sheets in PSCS2 and then I put them in a binder according to site.
I have one for ScrapGirls and then another for all other sites...
Guess where I buy most stuff???

Since I have all my photos on contact sheets too, I have a quick look in my photo-binder to decide what photos I'm going to scrap and what colors work best , and then I flip through my Scrap Girls-binder to see if I can find something I want to use...

Works for me! :monkeydance:

[quote name='AbbysMomma' post='80949' date='Jan 3 2007, 09:20 AM']Does anyone know if there are any benefits to using ACDSee over PSE Album? I have PSE Album and like it...I don't see the need to buy ACDSee unless there are some definite benefits...KWIM?

This is me trying to be responsible and not spend needlessly...let's see how long I can behave myself...lol[/quote]

Hello Tara & everyone,
I was passing thru & saw this thread. (Love your smilies by the way!)

I can give you some information on what ACDSee Photo Manager 9 can do and why people are using it:

1) it's fast - both to catalog (tag) your supplies & photos & also to search
2) people find it fun to catalog & find things they had forgotten having
3) can view white .png files & fonts (as well as catalog them)
4) quickly create contact sheets
5) assign favorites so you can access the things you use the most
6) very customizable - you can create your organization system that best suits your needs
7) easy batch resizing & renaming for uploading to galleries
8) create offline discs where you can see the thumbnails even though the disc isn't in the computer (and the files can be deleted from the HD - saving space)
9) can crop & remove red eye from a folder of photos by moving thru them in a slide show fashion
10) can use Photo Manager to synch two EHD's - so one is a backup
11) can import previous cataloging from PSE organizer in to save time
12) and it saves me money - because I can check to see if I own something before buying it again
13) it finds duplicate files & gives you the option to delete them

And by you're probably asking why I know all this? It's because my sister & I have written tutorials for using Photo Manager in regard to organizing digiscrapping supplies - and we now have them available on our new [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/"]website here[/url]

Our site is dedicated to information [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/"]www.digiscrapinfo.com[/url] We're not selling anything - so I hope that it's ok to post the link here.

You can download the 30 day trial for ACDSee there & I would suggest [url="http://www.digiscrapinfo.com/files/details.php?file=2"]starting with this tutorial.[/url] We also offer assistance there if you have questions.

Here's my tutorial on organizing and everything I know, which needs to be researched and tweaked more.

[url="http://www.hummiesworld.com/tutorganizing.html"]http://www.hummiesworld.com/tutorganizing.html[/url]

[quote name='AbbysMomma' post='80949' date='Jan 3 2007, 08:20 AM']Does anyone know if there are any benefits to using ACDSee over PSE Album? I have PSE Album and like it...I don't see the need to buy ACDSee unless there are some definite benefits...KWIM?

This is me trying to be responsible and not spend needlessly...let's see how long I can behave myself...lol[/quote]

Well, it runs faster than PSE for sure... you can load it up with as much stuff as you want and it won't make your scrapping program (IE: PSE) go slower.

I tried them both (along with a bunch of other programs!), and ACDSee was just better, for me anyway. Give the trial a shot and see what you think. :)

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Leigh Ann' post='80626' date='Jan 2 2007, 03:23 PM']I use the organizer in PSE - I assign tags to each item in a kit and the tags are in folders, so I have an embellishment folder that contains brads, paper clips, etc. My paper folder contains size (12x12 or 8.5x11) and color, pattern, solid, etc. Then I can do a search in PSE that will isolate all the brads regardless of what folder they are in on my hard drive. Or all the pink 12x12 paper, etc. I also assign a tag with the name of the kit. It takes time to maintain this system, but it's *so* worth it, especially in the one hour crops in the chat room, LOL. I'm a little behind in my organizing because of the sale, but I'm working on it.

BTW, everything I've assigned tags to also gets a "hidden" tag, so that the only thing that shows in the all photo view are the ones that I've not tagged yet. Then when I want to do a search, I search all hidden items.

It works for me.[/quote]

Hi leigh Ann
I have a question about the PSE organized what do you do as far as the Collections and Categories. I was playing with it last night . is there a way that you can not show your pictures and just the digital Supplies Stuff I'm soooo confused about this organization thing HELP !!!
Barbara

Guest zachsmommy
[quote name='zachsmommy' post='61702' date='Oct 4 2006, 01:48 PM']This is a constant struggle for me too. I finally got around to printing contact sheets of all my kits (while still purchasing new ones) so now I'm stuck trying to figure out how to update my contact sheets in the easiest way...

At any rate, my files are organized into a scrapbook file, then by designer name and within that file, by kit name. I like the contact sheet idea at least in theory, but since I've been procrastinating on actually producing ANYTHING while I get organized, I don't really know for sure if it works for me.

I guess we'll see.

I've gotten as bad about collecting digital stuff as I was about paper stuff.....and then I never used it!!!!!! Argh.

Kim[/quote]

Hmmmmm...funny I would run across myself here... :)

I'm now using ACDSee photo organizer for my stuff and I LOVE it. I save the preview of a kit and print that out (have a huge binder full already), then I've got the stuff organized by artist then by kit name...and the ACDSee program is great because it displays the folders just like that. Simple to navigate...I love it.

Check it out--it's got a 30 day free trial and is only $40 to register after that.

I haven't ever used the tag system in PSE (I have my own system for organizing photos), but I think it might work for all my scrapping supplies. Is it hard to get started? I wouldn't even know where to begin.

Okay, there were a ton of posts in this thread, and I'm going to add another. I'm kind of a skimmer, though, so if I'm repeating things already stated, forgive me.

One of ACDSee's big advantages, at least to me, is that you can double-file items easily. I can fill in a little blank where it asks for the author, but then tag it several different ways. I can file a paper simultaneously as being in the reds, oranges, and greens family, and also put it as a grunge paper with polka-dots. That way, if I have a LO with tons of circles on it, I can find just the right polka-dot page and just re-color it if necessary.

As to one of the questions that was asked originally -- do you/should you file by creator or by item/category -- it gets at one of the intergral questions of scrapbooking. For instance, if I keep a whole kit together so I can give credit to the author whose paperclip I'm using, I'm meeting the need to credit a creator's work. But I'm also making it more difficult for me to use that author/creator's work.

What are my real goals with scrapbooking? It's a question I have yet to answer for myself, but I think it's worth thinking through. And, like all things, I think the answer lies in compromise.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived