This Just In Email Box... Pse 6 Is Out

nicole_j

Ro! A thousand thanks. I, too, was going crazy trying to decide if I should switch over to PSE6 (even tho' I have just barely installed PSE5). They do try to get you on "keeping up" but sometimes newer is not better. I'm sticking with PSE5. Again, thanks! (deep sigh)

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been following a thread on the Photoshop Elements Users where someone asked the question about where to install the styles in PSE6 the answer was:

"XP- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations\layer styles

Vista- C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations\layer styles"

Then they got an error message saying 'can not load because file can not be found' and the answer was this:

"If you put something in the wrong place and then launch PE, you may need to rebuild the database, but you do it by deleting/renaming the old DB. To do that, quit PE, then you want to find <windows volume>:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0. MediaDatabase.db3"

Last post from the member who asked the question was "thanks all that worked".

Ro, I'm not sure if this is where you were trying to install the styles too or not but would appreciate it if you could let me know. I am interested in this because I have PSE6 on pre-order, I can't get my copy until 8th Oct. I was going to upgrade to 6 as I am on 4 but if I can't install styles then it is not going to be any good to me.

Thanks in advance.

Sue

Oh Sue, I could KISS YOU!!! That path worked! I didn't have to rebuild the database.

You found the solution when those guys at Adobe who I spent HOURS on the phone with didn't know. And imagine... the product development team saying, "They are not supported."

HA!

Meaning: We do not want you to use them and so we won't tell you how to use them.

I should have known. It was just like that when we started selling styles to begin with. The styles set blows up at 29 in PSE 4. I couldn't figure out why and how to fix it back once it had happened. Adobe wouldn't tell me. In fact, they outright refused to help me with that particular question. I poked around the Internet and got sort of close to the answer, prayed a lot, and then solved it.

HA!

I am SOOO happy.

There is a third styles file. THREE OF THEM. There are THREE OF THEM. And only one of them - this brand new one that is located in a completely new spot - works.

Now here is the weird thing. They have their styles in the obvious location (C>Programs>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>6.0>Presets>Styles and it would naturally lead to the conclusion that if you put them in there, it would work, right? But nope. It doesn't. In fact, taking those styles that are in that folder out doesn't affect anything either. That is why the support tech also came to the conclusion that they were hard coded in - particularly after what the development team told him that using other styles wasn't supported.

He tried that other location, too. That is the spot where Styles are located in PSE 5.0 because he thought that would work. It didn't. (I could have told him that. I had tried, it as well.) He didn't guess - nor did I - because we had both gone in and out of every folder we could locate - that there would be a THIRD PATH located in a completely different spot on the computer.

But there is and it works. HA!

Sue gets a gold star on her monitor for sleuthing it out for us!

Now the question naturally is: Why would Adobe want to potentially tank their sales with digital scrapbookers by doing this? Digital scrapbookers will be more interested if they know their styles will work. Hmmmm.. Dunno

One thing to note: You won't be able to bring the styles up by sets anymore. They get tossed in the big "All" bin and you have to find the ones you want in the alphabetical list. That isn't as convenient. In previous versions, you could snap the set you wanted in and out. But PSE 6 isn't allowing these extra sets to occur, right? So there is no provision for showing that they exist. You will see the thumbnails and the names in that big All list, though.

YEAH SUE!

Just for fun, I am now rebuilding the database to see if that happens to create a more usable style list. It is taking a LONG time so I'll report back in a bit about that. At least we know that you can use your styles if you get PSE 6. Whew!

Okay, so I just do that database thing. It took a long time and resulted in the same thing I already have. It isn't necessary unless you unexpectedly get some kind of errors. But the path they gave to the file was wrong. It is:

\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\MediaDatabase.db3"

Ro, thanks for taking the time to look at this I appreciate it. At least I will be able to use styles and have more than 29! Thanks for the update on the path for the database.

Apparantly you can organise your actions, filters and styles by editing the XML file but I don't have any other information on that yet. I am waiting for some more info on this and will post when I get it.

For some strange reason they seem to be trying to make it harder to add these things to PSE.

Sue

OK - now let me see if I have this straight. I can use styles and such with pse6?? I'm suddenly a little confused as to whether I should be dreaming about 5 or 6, so if anyone had any thoughts, that would be really wonderful!

Thanks

Sheri

I just got an email from Adobe offering PSE 6. I can't believe they have a new version already. Here is one benifit it listed: "Quickly find the photos you need with new Smart Albums and a dedicated bin for project-related photos" I wonder if there will be enough changes to make an upgrade worth while.

I just got PSE 5 so I am passing on 6.0.

I also have PSP X1 so I not getting PSP X2 either.

Sheri, are you on version 4?

I am and have decided to go to 6. I don't get my copy until 8th Oct because I ordered the bundle. If you won't to wait, I can give you my opinion. When I last looked there wasn't a demo version of 6 available yet. But if you do buy it you have a 30 day right of return.

I think putting additional styles in the new location is a good thing, it would just be nice to know about it. When I first started using PSE I couldn't believe they were getting you to put 'random' files into the original program directory. From a support point of view this is just a complete nightmare.

I also think being able to edit the XML file and sort/group styles a little better will be nice. For example I have all 3 sets of Cheryls stitching and holes and it is frustating to have to flick between them when trying to decide which one to use.

Apparantly there is a 'Favourites Palette' where you can put anything from Artwork and Effects.

Most people on the Photoshop Elements Users forum who already have 5 are saying they won't upgrade to 6 because of the cost. I think Adobe have a bit of a cheek asking people who are on 5 to pay again for 6 because the releases follow so closely on from each other. Worse case they could charge a very small fee.

Sue

I have pse3 on my computer - haven't used it too much yet, it just came with my tablet. I'm having a bit of trouble giving up my dis - it doesn't have as much potential, but it is so user-friendly. Anyway, I keep thinking about upgrading, but now I'm just not sure which way to go!

Sheri

I am using PSE 4 and I was wondering whether or not to upgrade to PSE 5.

Are there a lot of differences? Where can I purchase PSE 5 for a good price and will all my goodies from Scrapgirls be automatically installed?

Thanks for Ro for all the info about PSE 6

No, Donna, your styles and brushes and scuh won't automatically be installed if you update. You also have to reinstall everything once you do that. (so make sure you have copies of everything before you delete the old version off of your computer!

But they are easy to install and we give you the instructions to install them in PSE 5. Angie, Erica, and I will be working on the istyle installation instructions for PSE 6as soon as we get past the next "our hair is on fire" week that comes with the club release.

The jury is out in my mind whether or not the upgrade from 5 to 6 is a fab idea. I personally wouldn't do it, but some people love to take upgrades because they love getting all of the new bells and whistles.

I'm one to stick with the version I have until I see enough features being added that I am personally interested in. For instance, I had Photoshop CS and didn't get the upgrade on that until CS3 came out. Even then, I wouldn't have upgraded unless I didn't need to do Secrets for CS3. I have learned that if I don't do it, people will want Secrets for the latest version so I have to do a version for CS3, see? So I HAD to buy it.

But this is me with software upgrades: I am still running the same version of Dreamweaver that I got 3 years ago, am happy with it, and feel no need to upgrade because I am doing my web development without problems with it. I am still running the version of MS Office that I got at that time, too. I would rather spend my money on things that I find more interesting than buy a new version of Office (BORING).

(By the way, I'm always afraid to say this stuff outloud here because I'm afraid it makes Adobe mad at me... but they are probably already mad at me because I keep selling down versions of Secrets and PSP stuff... If anyone from Adobe happens to read this, I really DO love your software! I am an Adobe fan. After reading this post, I'm sure Adobe wishes I would upgrade my Dreamweaver, too, because it is their sofware as well.)

But I am really very happy with CS and have had a hard time making myself use CS 3 (breaking the CS habit) even though I own it. You see, I haveall of this installed on my machine right now: PSE 2, 4, 5, 6 and Photoshop CS, CS3 AND PSP 9, X, AND DIP, AND PhotoImpact AND GIMIP 2 AND Illustrator CS AND Illustrator CS3. I also own Serif PhotoPlus 11 which I have wanted to get into (it appears to be very much like PSP). Oh, and I have a few random items like Scrapbook Max (they sent me a review copy), HP's scrapbooking software and some other items.

So I have seen almost everything at this point. That is why I feel like I am pretty objective about what is what. Doing Secrets has been good for me that way. I have my fingers into all sorts of graphic software.

I haven't really dug deep into PSE 6 yet (because I will do that during the generation of Secrets for PSE 6 - soon) but my initial impression is that it doesn't upgrade the functionality that we use in a significant way. They mostly focus on trying to make the interface nicer and you don't have to go in and out of it to get to the various areas of the software. There may be minor differences for the actual functionality that a digital scrapbooker uses to create their layouts, but nothing that will make you go wild. They have not moved any Photoshop functionality to PSE and they are very unlikely to do that. If you want that kind of functionality, you are going to have to go up to Photoshop.

For me, the biggest upgrade was between PSE 4 and 5. But even then, if you have 4 and are happy with it, that's okay. PSE 5 has the advantage of letting you color your shadows, which is why it is a little better for a scrapbooker. If you are interested in upgrading to PSE 5, do that. If you happen to have missed PSE 5, then get PSE 6.

It's all good. You can do digital scrapbooking in ALL OF IT!!!

Have I confused you yet? Sorry if I did.

End of software ramble 101.

No, Donna, your styles and brushes and scuh won't automatically be installed if you update. You also have to reinstall everything once you do that. (so make sure you have copies of everything before you delete the old version off of your computer!

But they are easy to install and we give you the instructions to install them in PSE 5. Angie, Erica, and I will be working on the istyle installation instructions for PSE 6as soon as we get past the next "our hair is on fire" week that comes with the club release.

The jury is out in my mind whether or not the upgrade from 5 to 6 is a fab idea. I personally wouldn't do it, but some people love to take upgrades because they love getting all of the new bells and whistles.

I'm one to stick with the version I have until I see enough features being added that I am personally interested in. For instance, I had Photoshop CS and didn't get the upgrade on that until CS3 came out. Even then, I wouldn't have upgraded unless I didn't need to do Secrets for CS3. I have learned that if I don't do it, people will want Secrets for the latest version so I have to do a version for CS3, see? So I HAD to buy it.

But this is me with software upgrades: I am still running the same version of Dreamweaver that I got 3 years ago, am happy with it, and feel no need to upgrade because I am doing my web development without problems with it. I am still running the version of MS Office that I got at that time, too. I would rather spend my money on things that I find more interesting than buy a new version of Office (BORING).

(By the way, I'm always afraid to say this stuff outloud here because I'm afraid it makes Adobe mad at me... but they are probably already mad at me because I keep selling down versions of Secrets and PSP stuff... If anyone from Adobe happens to read this, I really DO love your software! I am an Adobe fan. After reading this post, I'm sure Adobe wishes I would upgrade my Dreamweaver, too, because it is their sofware as well.)

But I am really very happy with CS and have had a hard time making myself use CS 3 (breaking the CS habit) even though I own it. You see, I haveall of this installed on my machine right now: PSE 2, 4, 5, 6 and Photoshop CS, CS3 AND PSP 9, X, AND DIP, AND PhotoImpact AND GIMIP 2 AND Illustrator CS AND Illustrator CS3. I also own Serif PhotoPlus 11 which I have wanted to get into (it appears to be very much like PSP). Oh, and I have a few random items like Scrapbook Max (they sent me a review copy), HP's scrapbooking software and some other items.

So I have seen almost everything at this point. That is why I feel like I am pretty objective about what is what. Doing Secrets has been good for me that way. I have my fingers into all sorts of graphic software.

I haven't really dug deep into PSE 6 yet (because I will do that during the generation of Secrets for PSE 6 - soon) but my initial impression is that it doesn't upgrade the functionality that we use in a significant way. They mostly focus on trying to make the interface nicer and you don't have to go in and out of it to get to the various areas of the software. There may be minor differences for the actual functionality that a digital scrapbooker uses to create their layouts, but nothing that will make you go wild. They have not moved any Photoshop functionality to PSE and they are very unlikely to do that. If you want that kind of functionality, you are going to have to go up to Photoshop.

For me, the biggest upgrade was between PSE 4 and 5. But even then, if you have 4 and are happy with it, that's okay. PSE 5 has the advantage of letting you color your shadows, which is why it is a little better for a scrapbooker. If you are interested in upgrading to PSE 5, do that. If you happen to have missed PSE 5, then get PSE 6.

It's all good. You can do digital scrapbooking in ALL OF IT!!!

Have I confused you yet? Sorry if I did.

End of software ramble 101.

Thanks Ro.....

I have been very happy with PSE 4 and together with "Secrets" and "More Secrets", it has been great intro to Digi scrapping.

I think though I will upgrade to PSE 5.0 soon. :thanks:

I am sticking my money in the box till I get enough for cs I really dont care if it is 2 or 3 coz I dont have no money saved yet LOL but I still like pse5 & 4 is cool too I see no need for the upgrade I just got when 5 came out, I know this software very well

my $.02 worth...lol

Caren

I just got an email from Adobe offering PSE 6. I can't believe they have a new version already. Here is one benifit it listed: "Quickly find the photos you need with new Smart Albums and a dedicated bin for project-related photos" I wonder if there will be enough changes to make an upgrade worth while.

I just got PSE 5 so I am passing on 6.0.

I also have PSP X1 so I not getting PSP X2 either.

I have PSE5 and I am still learning on it. But I was wondering about PSP. Which one do you prefer? I know there is a free 30 day trial for PSP. Is it worth trying it out? Love to here your opinion...

Guest Sharebear57

I upgraded from PSE4 to 5 at Christmas time and was thrilled with the upgrade. I don't think I plan to switch to 6 after reading this whole thread (thanks for all the great info, Ro!).

But it does make me mad that adobe would take features OUT of PSE versions. I know all of us PSE users would LOVE to be able to switch to CS, but not everyone can afford $600 for software!

Okay Ro,

I am a newbie... But what are "Styles and Actions" am I missing something that I need to know about as a digi scrapper?

I am assuming you were a traditional scrapbooker, so how did you fully convert or did you? I need all the suggestions I can get. Do you print your pages and then what size? Favorite albums?

Thanks for all of your help

Jenifer

Oh Sue, I could KISS YOU!!! That path worked! I didn't have to rebuild the database.

You found the solution when those guys at Adobe who I spent HOURS on the phone with didn't know. And imagine... the product development team saying, "They are not supported."

HA!

Meaning: We do not want you to use them and so we won't tell you how to use them.

I should have known. It was just like that when we started selling styles to begin with. The styles set blows up at 29 in PSE 4. I couldn't figure out why and how to fix it back once it had happened. Adobe wouldn't tell me. In fact, they outright refused to help me with that particular question. I poked around the Internet and got sort of close to the answer, prayed a lot, and then solved it.

HA!

I am SOOO happy.

There is a third styles file. THREE OF THEM. There are THREE OF THEM. And only one of them - this brand new one that is located in a completely new spot - works.

Now here is the weird thing. They have their styles in the obvious location (C>Programs>Adobe>Photoshop Elements>6.0>Presets>Styles and it would naturally lead to the conclusion that if you put them in there, it would work, right? But nope. It doesn't. In fact, taking those styles that are in that folder out doesn't affect anything either. That is why the support tech also came to the conclusion that they were hard coded in - particularly after what the development team told him that using other styles wasn't supported.

He tried that other location, too. That is the spot where Styles are located in PSE 5.0 because he thought that would work. It didn't. (I could have told him that. I had tried, it as well.) He didn't guess - nor did I - because we had both gone in and out of every folder we could locate - that there would be a THIRD PATH located in a completely different spot on the computer.

But there is and it works. HA!

Sue gets a gold star on her monitor for sleuthing it out for us!

Now the question naturally is: Why would Adobe want to potentially tank their sales with digital scrapbookers by doing this? Digital scrapbookers will be more interested if they know their styles will work. Hmmmm.. Dunno

One thing to note: You won't be able to bring the styles up by sets anymore. They get tossed in the big "All" bin and you have to find the ones you want in the alphabetical list. That isn't as convenient. In previous versions, you could snap the set you wanted in and out. But PSE 6 isn't allowing these extra sets to occur, right? So there is no provision for showing that they exist. You will see the thumbnails and the names in that big All list, though.

YEAH SUE!

Just for fun, I am now rebuilding the database to see if that happens to create a more usable style list. It is taking a LONG time so I'll report back in a bit about that. At least we know that you can use your styles if you get PSE 6. Whew!

Styles are these fun things that will allow you to apply effects to what you are doing. Like golds and things. Actions let you do things like create tears, stitching, etc.

I think the easiest way to show you is to show you the ones we are selling.

http://store.scrapgirls.com/category.php?cat=74

You'll see there are tons of things you can do.

When you buy them, they sort of "snap" into your software giving you more options. You have more ability to be creative.

Hope that helps. Let us know if you have any more questions!

I actually had purchased PE5 at the very end of July and was really ticked when I read this tread yesterday so I emailed Adobe. I actually had to end up calling today but they are giving me the upgrade to 6 at no charge. If you have purchased 5 within the last few months I would call and see if they will do the same for you...

RO,
I am new to digital scrapbooking. I bought PSE6 and also have problems with the download manager. It worked as it should on XP, but I really wanted it for my laptop (Vista). When I download to vista, the install will not launch when the launch button is clicked. Is that the problem that you had! I'm excited about getting started. I purchased you Secrets and More Secrets and then last night got some of your things that were on sale. I think this is going to be GREAT!!!

Hello,

I am a brand new PSE user. I just purchased 6.0 two weeks ago. I am a little concerned that it appears that I made a mistake by not purchasing the older version. I am a little confused. Is is correct that I cannot purchase ScrapSimple products to use with this version? I was planning on purchasing some of the tools and templates this week. I don't want to purchase something that cannot work. This has me very discouraged.

Can anyone help me?

:)Lynne

Hello,

I am a brand new PSE user. I just purchased 6.0 two weeks ago. I am a little concerned that it appears that I made a mistake by not purchasing the older version. I am a little confused. Is is correct that I cannot purchase ScrapSimple products to use with this version? I was planning on purchasing some of the tools and templates this week. I don't want to purchase something that cannot work. This has me very discouraged.

Can anyone help me?

:)Lynne

Panic not. I have PSE6, I just upgraded from PSE4. All my Scrapgirls styles work fine in 6 and the actions I have are also fine. For actions make sure you are buying only ones that are compatible with PSE.

The Scrapsimple products are different from styles and actions which is what all the fuss was about. These are fine in PSE6 too. So are all the collections.

Installing styles and actions in PSE6 is different from the earlier versions so if the instructions that come with them have not been updated post on the MB and I'll help you out.

PSE6 is a perfectly fine version for scrapbooking and as you have not used a previous version you will not have to worry about the differences. I haven't used 5 so I don't know how compatible the Secrets vidoes will be. Ro might be able to help out with answering that.

Please don't be discouraged. Please post on the MB if you have any questions about PSE6.

Sue

Archived