This Just In Email Box... Pse 6 Is Out

nicole_j

You can use ALL of the ScrapSimple the products with this version - and actually all of our products. The interface looks very different than PSE 5 - meaning that the COLOR of the background is very different (it is dark while the other versions are lighter) but the functionality is basically the same as PSE 5. Look closely at your tool bar (over at the left side) and you'll see that. It is that color change that throws people off the most. I am going to be doing a version of Secrets PSE 6 as soon as I can just because the look of the interface will worry brand new people. Meanwhile, use Secrets for PSE 5 because it will get you going and you won't have to wait - and let us know if you have any questions at all. We are HAPPY to help you out!

We found out that Styles will work with PSE 6 (YEAH!) The path is given above, but here it is again:

XP- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations\layer styles

Vista- C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations\layer styles

Remember, all you have to do is email hello@scrapgirls.com and Angie will help you, call us on our toll free number or pop out here on the message board and we'll get your questions answers.

HTH!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just received PSE6 for Christmas, but have been having a terrible time with it having constant unexpected restarts for some unexplained reason. I haven't tried to call Adobe yet - thought that I'd try to explore the problem by myself, but, what I got was a 16 page "Troublshoot system errors or freezes in Photoshop Elements 6.0 (Windows XP)" I'm no computer guru, so this was completely frustrating, and, after reading your entry, I'm wondering if I should just uninstall it and stay where I am with PSE5. Your thoughts?

I have just looked at it: If it were me making this decision, I would think very carefully before I purchased it. Why?

I installed PSE 6 and went wild because I could not get new styles to work. I tried everything. I finally called up Adobe and spent a long time with them on the phone. After talking to a bunch of people, the tech support guy came back and the product development team said that PUTTING NEW STYLES in PSE 6 is NOT SUPPORTED.

This means that you couldn't use Melissa's Tear action, or any of the gold styles, or stitching styles, or paper styles, OR ANY OF THEM AT ALL.

You are stuck - completely stuck - with that cheesy set that Adobe has provided you. They are hard coded into the software. (The tech guy said that the only hope is if enough adobe customers call in and complain so that the product team will reconsider their decision.)

I have said all along that Adobe seems to be slowly , very carefully, removing editing functionaly from PSE so that it becomes less and less like Photoshop and this is one more ka-boom.

So don't look forward to things like text on a path appearing in PSE. It won't happen. They want you to buy up to Photoshop. They aren't going to move Photoshop function down. (It makes sense because they need to make money.) This is not the first time I've seen functionality disappear. They do it in a very quiet way and you have to know what you are doing to see what has slipped away. They add things that they think consumers will be interested in instead - like being able to email photos right from within the interface. Well, I can email my photos through my email client but now I can't use neat styles with PSE 6. That is a BUMMER!

This upgrade is all about making it easier to email your photos, etc. The different areas of PSE are located within just tabs. There was one good change - they got rid of that cascade/tile/maximize mode confusion point thing.

But everything else is the same EXCEPT you can not put in new styles. (So far... I haven't dug deep enough to find out if there are other earth shattering removals. This one was bad enough to make me report it to you.)

And so, if it were me...I would keep 4.0 if I was a Mac user. If I had Windows, I would hurry and get 5.0 beause 5.0 is the best of the line. It is a great program - as far as the functionality that we use - and I am very disappointed in Adobe that they would take functionality away that everyone enjoyed so much.

Oh gosh... I don't know about this one! I haven't had the problem myself. I wonder if you are having some kind of conflict. I actually have PSE 2, 4, 5, and 6 installed on my desktop and Photoshop CS and CS3. Although, I haven't used it much on my XP machine. I filmed Secrets for PSE 6 on my Vista laptop. I don't know if that would make a difference.

OK 0 will do some more exploring. Other than that, it looks like you had some pretty big concerns when PSE6 was first released. Have all of these been resolved?

Oh gosh... I don't know about this one! I haven't had the problem myself. I wonder if you are having some kind of conflict. I actually have PSE 2, 4, 5, and 6 installed on my desktop and Photoshop CS and CS3. Although, I haven't used it much on my XP machine. I filmed Secrets for PSE 6 on my Vista laptop. I don't know if that would make a difference.

Yep. We got it figured out. If you'll keep reading the string, you'll see where it was discovered how to get everything working. Adobe didn't want us to know how to do it, but these smart people around figured it out. We now have directions for installing Styles and Actions in PSE 6 in all of our product deliveries!

Update: Had a hardware guy come out today for about 4 hours to go through the problem with PSE6 constant restarts. He referred to the 16 page Adobe TechNote that is supposed to be a help. After 4 hours, he could detect no problems with the hardware - plenty of memory. So, the only thing we can conclude is that it is the software, but, no one else seems to be having this problem. I'm so frustrated. It's got some really features that I'd like to be able to play around with, like Group composites, but, with so solution, I think that I'm back to PSE5. Next step is to call Adobe and see if they can help me. So much scrapbooking to do, but too many computer problems to deal with. What's a digi scrapper to do?

Ginny read through this thread and all the posts and these great gals have given great instructions on how to for pse6

good luck :)

• 5 months later...

This will seem silly but I actually do own CS3 on the Mac and have been reluctant to give up using my PSE4 (on PC) because the workspace doesn't seem as user friendly. For instance, is there a way to duplicate the "photo bin" look in Elements? I like all the photos and digital scraps at the bottom and my project in front of me but CS doesn't have that....that I know of. So hubby got me PSE6 for the Mac even though CS3 is already on there just to keep me happy. Now I'm trying to figure out how to load actions/styles since the path given in this thread says for Vista and XP and I have an iMac (OS 10). Can anyone provide me with a path if you own a Mac? OR let me know how I can make my workspace look like Elements so I can use CS3 instead? Is it just as easy to scrap in CS as in Elements? From first glance going into CS, it doesn't seem so..... Help!!!

Archived