Photoshop Help

Guest nelly

Guest nelly
recently when using photoshop, its been closing down on me. usually when i am trying to open a folder...
for example: tonight when creating a layout with the ochre winfree collection, when i tried to open the embellishment folder, it closed down....2x
and it has happened before.
what can i do? does anyone know why??
tfl

[quote name='nelly' date='Jun 1 2005, 01:06 PM']recently when using photoshop, its been closing down on me.  usually when i am trying to open a folder...
for example: tonight when creating a layout with the ochre winfree collection, when i tried to open the embellishment folder, it closed down....2x
and it has happened before.
what can i do? does anyone know why??
tfl
[right][post="16486"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Nelly, I'm guessing...and this is a GUESS that you don't have enough virtual memory to run Photoshop. When you are working with it, do you have all your other programs closed? If so, there is a setting in your computer which tells you how much memory you can allot to a program that you are running. I'll try to find it for you and then try to tell you how to find it.

[quote name='wxchic' date='Jun 1 2005, 04:35 PM']Nelly, I'm guessing...and this is a GUESS that you don't have enough virtual memory to run Photoshop.  When you are working with it, do you have all your other programs closed?  If so, there is a setting in your computer which tells you how much memory you can allot to a program that you are running.  I'll try to find it for you and then try to tell you how to find it.
[right][post="16497"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I don't know if that is it, but to find the virtual memory settings on xp, go to control panel/performance and maintenance/system/advanced/ settings under performance/ "advanced" tab / virtual memory is at bottom w/button for "change".

Has this happened before? Does it shut your computer down or just Photoshop? Mine was shutting down my computer when it accessed memory intensive programs, but only happened after adding more memory (there was an incompatibility w/my laptop memory chips HP sent me).

Good luck - wish I could be more help! :banghead:

Guest jlf_loves_mjf
I had this problem. It was a space issue. I cleaned up (deleted old patch files/got rid of files in my temp directories/backed-up and removed files/fonts I didn't regularally use) and defragmented my hard drive.

In XP and on the Start Menu, under Programs, Accessories, and System Tools, there are two entries Disk Cleanup and Disk Defragmenter. The Disk Cleanup finds some temporary files and such that might be still lingering on your computer that you don't need. The Disk Defragmenter...that's harder to explain. Your computer runs most effeciently when pieces of a file are all in the same place. When you start to run short on hard drive space, Windows puts a piece of the file in this open space and another piece here and another piece there. When you later access these files, Windows has to go place to place to collect all the info it needs. Disk Defragmenter pulls the pieces of the files back together and, depending on the size of your hard drive, can take quite a while to run. I would suggest running it overnight. Disable any screen savers you might be running (starting and stopping these can make the process restart), make sure you are disconnected from the internet, and start the program. You can turn off your monitor and go to bed once it starts running. Warning: watching the defragmenter do its thing can be strangly calming and addicting.

Guest lesliefavela
I think of the defragmentation like this.
Pretend the fragments are books in a library. When you use them and don't put them back,then they take up a lot more space and make it harder to get your work done. Along comes the librarian (the disk defragmenter) and puts everything back in it's place. Now you have a cleaner and roomier place to work again.
I don't bother to wait until it tells me that it is time to defragment. I just go ahead and do it every once in awhile. It can take forever, though. Jennifer is right. It's easiest to do overnight, when you don't need the pc.
I also have my pc settings set up so that it doesn't keep temporary folders or history more than a day. But that's my personal preference.
I have XP, also. My email comes in Outlook Express. If you keep a lot of old emails, you can compact that, too. Click on Tools, Options,Maintenance,Clean up now, Compact, Close, and Okay.
Is your head spinning from all of our answers yet? hahaha Have fun!

Guest nelly
thanks girls!! huge help! am just putting some suggestions into action this morning!! i'll do it while you all are sleeping =)

i'll let you know how we get on!!!

Guest jlf_loves_mjf
Leslie...I like your explaination of defragmentation. I'm sooo going to remember that if I need to explain it to anyone else. :banana:

One other thought for you - Photoshop requires quite of bit of "scratch" space on your hard drive. If you hard drive is too full, it can't "think" right. I kept running into this problem repeatedly until I moved all of my graphic files over to an external hard drive. It's been great because I have lots of storage room now and I never have problems with Photoshop stalling out.

Also as another note. I've had the same problem with it. Depending on the file size of everything in the folder if you are "browsing" to the image where you have a preview of all the images before you actually open them, the files all in that folder could have something to do with it as well. When reading the files all one right after the other with large file sizes, it also eats away at the available memory. If this is the way you're doing it, then I've fixed the problem I was having by arranging the main folder into sub folders and only put a few files in each of the folders, this uses less memory and helps to keep photoshop open. :) Hope this might help as well.

And I just love the explanation of defrag, it makes it so much easier for people that aren't too knowledgeable about computers to understand. I have to ask if it's alright to borrow that explanation of defrag next time someone asks me about defrag for sure, of course giving all the credit to you for the easy way to explain it. :)

Guest CathyRose
I think I need to do the subfolders thing, I recently got an tiny external HD so I can use the digital kits on both my laptop and desk pc but my kits are all in one big folder. Maybe I should make subfolders by designer like I use in Picasa.

Guest nelly
thanks again for all the suggestions...
the computer told us we didn't need to defrag... so we haven't! but we have moved picture files and scrapbook stuff onto cds but i haven't tested it with photo shop yet! will try this weekend!
again thanks
:bouncing-frog:

Archived