Helppp! Torn Edges Action

SewKitty

I just bought the ScrapSimple Tools - Actions: Paper Tears 5001. I am having a TERRIBLE time trying to get this to work. I have everything installed as it says. I have my 3 actions in file like I am suppose to.

I select the section of paper I want to keep, I click on the tear paper action and hit apply. Everything goes well until after I get to the menu where I can customize the variation of the tear layer. I do that and click o.k. and it tells me no pixels are selected and I have to cancel out of it. This is MADDENING! :banghead: I have been fighting with this for the last hour or so.

I am sure it is something stupid and simple that I am not doing, but for the life of me I cannot figure this out.

HELP!!!

Thanks

I figured out part of the problem. I was using the wrong action. I was using element instead of paper. Now I am able to get the "tear" but it does NOT look like a tear. It looks like I deleted a chunk of paper. Were do I find the paper styles to add to the layer? I use PSE 5. I am pretty new at this but usually I don't have this kind of a problem. I think I need a break to clear my head or something. I am just not getting the results that look like a tear. Like I said before, I am sure it is something I am doing wrong but for the life of me, I am not sure:-(

Thanks

Eliza

Great! Sounds like you have them installed correctly. Did you install the brush file (.abr) and the layer styles files (.asl)? If you installed the brush then you need to select it from the brush palette before you begin. If it is installed and selected when you start it will give you a nice rough edge to your paper. Now if the edge looks right you can add the layer style to the white paper layer. You will find the styles in with your other layer styles if they were installed correctly. there should be three textured paper styles. This will give the paper look to that torn edge.

Now when you go to use the element tear and the photo tear, you will want to use them on an actual layout, or at least a paper. Otherwise you will get those selection errors. If you do get an error see if it will let you continue, sometimes it will go ahead and run through anyway. :)

I do have the brush installed and selected before I start. I am not getting the effect though:-( I was pretty sure I installed the style too, I will go back and double check that. Is there a certain color I need the brush set at? Also what layer order should the tear be? I have the black layer and the white layer. Were should they be?

Thanks

Eliza

Hmmmm that is interesting, and you are not getting an error message? Let me see if I can get a screen shot of what that edge might look like.

As far as the layers, your paper layer should be on top clipped to the black template layer (ctrl g) and then the white tear layer goes underneath.

I know this takes a little bit of work to get going! I wrote these actions to be able to customize them. That means you will never have to make the same tear twice on your LOs. (Unless you want to of course and you can save your tear as a template and use it as much as you want! LOL) I have told people before, we are trying to get PSE to function more like the full version of photoshop, and so it takes a little work to get it to do all of these fun things. Once we get things going though, you will be ready to add all kinds of actions to your toolbox. :)

I got it to work!!!! :dancingelephant:

I had to open the brush file again even though I had before I started the tear. I found my styles as well:-) It looks great!

It does take a couple steps but I know I will use this a lot now that I know what I am doing!!!

Thanks so much for your help! AWESOME customer service:-)

Eliza

Melissa you are awesome at explaining things. I am going to copy this thread to my evernote , so if I have trouble I can refer to this ! Thanks for the great explanation !!! Also Eliza, have fun tearing up your paper... Can't wait to see what your LO looks like , Make sure you post it so we can all share with you !

I will post some LO's when I figure out how to do that! LOL I have so little time to do my hobbies (that is why digital scrapping was such a wonderful fit for me:-). I run my own business, so I put a lot of hours into that. I understand how important good customer service is and I can tell you that Melissa has that down in spades!

I did two different Halloween LO's with my great niece in them. It is her first Halloween. She is only 8 months old and finds everything facinating:-)

Thanks again for all the help!!!

Eliza

• 1 month later...

yes, Mary Jo, you can change the 25 and make it wider, I have done up to even 75, and you can see how it looks. Sometimes as you make the tear bigger you will want to play with the wave filter too. That is why I left that part editable. Once you play with it a little you can get all kinds of looks. :) No harm in playing! (Just make sure you have your LO saved... just in case!)

yes, Mary Jo, you can change the 25 and make it wider, I have done up to even 75, and you can see how it looks. Sometimes as you make the tear bigger you will want to play with the wave filter too. That is why I left that part editable. Once you play with it a little you can get all kinds of looks. :) No harm in playing! (Just make sure you have your LO saved... just in case!)

Okay thats great Melissa thanks for the info ! I'm waiting with bated breath for more Actions !!!!! LOL

They are just the best thing. I love them they are so much fun ! I remember back in August when I could barely open up my PSE5 and now look at me.... You remember I was the big pain in your --------- !!!!!!

But you were just the best to explain it to me more than once !!!!! Thanks again

HA! See, it was worth it to fight through that learning curve, wasn't it! Sometimes that is hard to remember when people are first starting out, that once you get the hang of it you won't have as many "frustration" filled moments. :) You have pushed through and learned something new and now you can see the rewards.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived