Totally New

I am totally new to this.....like five minutes ago! Someone tell me how to get started. I would like to make a family reunion cookbook with family pictures inserted beside recipes, but I am at a lost where to even start. Would love some guidance since I will be doing all this digital.

Thank you!

Hi and Welcome to Scrapgirls! First, I have to ask if you have a program to use to help you scrap... Then, I would suggest you head over to the boutique here and download the free ebook- 15 Things... Then, I would suggest that you sign up for the newsletter here! That should get you started :) Glad you joined us! A recipe/photo album sounds like a great idea!

Welcome to Scrapgirls! You've come to the perfect place. :D The first thing you need is software, which you may already have. Then I would suggest Ro's Scrapbook Software Secrets Revealed for the program you have. Boutique- Software Secrets Most here use Photoshop Elements, Photoshop or Paintshop Pro, but as you'll see in the boutique, you can even do it in word, though it does have limitations. Feel free to post any more questions you may have.

Well, there are a number of different programs that people use- Photoshop products by Adobe, including Photoshop Elements and the Creative Suite, Paint Shop Pro, and others not coming to mind. These ones give you the most freedom in terms of playing and changing things as you like. They have a little learning curve, but there are tons of tutorials here for that too! You can check out the photoshop products at adobe.com.

Hi ! ! I'm really new here too. You have a starting place, to make a book with pics. Now, gather all the stuff you need to make it. Look around and you can find FREE STUFF. Yep, the newsletter gets you lots of FREE info. Look around, If you can't figure something out or find something ask, I did that once already and I think its going to work great. Better to learn from others mistakes, as sometimes it could be costly.

Lois

Hi and welcome Cia. You've already gotten some good advice from the other ladies. It's great that you have a project to start on. Sounds like a great idea. I will second that it is addicting. I hope we can help you along your journey to create your family recipe book.

Hi and welcome to SG's . looks like you're getting some great advice , just so you know I use PSE5 and I really enjoy it.. Remember to look carefully at the videos and purchase the one that corresponds to the program you choose. You can download a free trial for most of the software.

Adobe makes PSE , CS and some others and they have free trials, also Corel makes PSP and I believe they offer free trials too.. You just gotta check it out... You're gonna love it here and the learning curve isn't too bad at all....

• 1 month later...

I am completely new too. I downloaded PSE trial about a week ago and a friend posted some different freebie sites to look at but that is as far as I have gotten. I also downloaded Hello.com so folks can help me when I get stuck! (and hopefully some day I will be able to help others ;)

I need to do a simple layout to get me started. I am trying to digiscrap our Dear Birth Mother letter for our adoption. This is a document that tells a prospective birthmom all about us and also includes pictures. Most of the page(s) will be text with a few pictures scattered throughout and some embellishments. Anybody know of an easy way to get started? I have no idea what I want for backgrounds. I thought I might use a picture of our garden or maybe of one of my quilts as the background. But I don't want it to be too busy. So maybe I should just use a plain color...something a little textured? Just call me clueless!

Also...can I do the pic and text part and add the background afterward? Help!!!

Hi and welcome to ScrapGirls! You might want to take a look in the Gallery. It is a great place to get idea of what you might like to do. There are also page and album templates available in the boutique that make putting a page together a lot easier. Most of us use the collections because it is faster and the designers make such beautiful things. I made my own papers from scratch for the very first pages I did.. ;) You can post any question you have here on the message board, and you'll get lots of answers pretty fast. There are also lots of free tutorials in the SG University Be sure to sign up for the newsletters. Seven freebies every week. We're glad you've joined us here and would be happy to help with any other questions you may have. :)

OK...this should be an easy question....I'm trying to load an avatar and can't seem to get my pic small enough. I'm resizing in PSE and it only lets me manipulate inches not pixels. I have it down to 0.25 x 0.36 inches and it is still too big. What should I do????

You should be able to change the pixel dimensions. I use Photoshop, but I think the window that pops up is close to the same. I'm pretty sure this is a little different, and I don't have elements loaded on my computer. I go to Image>Image Size and a adjust in the widow that pops up. The top adjustment is pixel dimensions, then document size. Your avatar can't be any larger than 64X64 pixels and no larger than 100K. I cropped my image to a square first, and then entered 64 in the pixel dimensions. When you save it be sure to save as a jpeg, and when the jpeg options comes up. The lower quality, or smaller number on the slider, the smaller your file is. The size of your file shows under size in the bottom box. As you move the slider down, the number on the left will show the compressed file size. Move the silder down until it is around 100K. Click okay, and your image should fit without any problems.

You should be able to change the pixel dimensions. I use Photoshop, but I think the window that pops up is close to the same. I'm pretty sure this is a little different, and I don't have elements loaded on my computer. I go to Image>Image Size and a adjust in the widow that pops up. The top adjustment is pixel dimensions, then document size. Your avatar can't be any larger than 64X64 pixels and no larger than 100K. I cropped my image to a square first, and then entered 64 in the pixel dimensions. When you save it be sure to save as a jpeg, and when the jpeg options comes up. The lower quality, or smaller number on the slider, the smaller your file is. The size of your file shows under size in the bottom box. As you move the slider down, the number on the left will show the compressed file size. Move the silder down until it is around 100K. Click okay, and your image should fit without any problems.

Thanks! I think it worked!

It looks like you've put in your personal photo. There is a different place to put in your avatar. SG University Site Information I should have given you this link before. Screen shots for everything I just told you. :)Taking the Mystery out of your Personal Profile will show you how to get your avatar set up. I'd go through the other things on there too. They're pretty helpful.

It looks like you've put in your personal photo. There is a different place to put in your avatar. SG University Site Information I should have given you this link before. Screen shots for everything I just told you. :)Taking the Mystery out of your Personal Profile will show you how to get your avatar set up. I'd go through the other things on there too. They're pretty helpful.

Yep that's what I did! Thanks I will check that out. Right now I am working on my first page and having all sorts of problems. Do you know of a basic tutorial that will just walk me through how to make a page. I am not using a quick page b/c I haven't found one that fits what I want to do. I have part of my page done...text, 2 pics on it and a nice background. When I tried to put a 3rd pic on it, the background disappeared and I can't find the layer to make it reappear. Also, I am trying to add a frame to my pic that I have downloaded and opened in PSE. I don't know how to make it look like the picture is in the frame. When I put the pic on 2nd, the frame disappears. When I put hte frame on first, I can't get the pic to fit in the frame how I want. If only the software could read my mind!

• 5 months later...
Guest babydoll37

I just wanted to say welcome to SG's, I use PSE 6 and yes at first it was very overwhelming but I didnt want to start with one program and out grow it fast and then have to spend more money to buy another program, so I jumped into this one, I searched and girls have helped me with step by step videos and I did my first LO and I am learning day by day, my only problem no and I dont know if anyone else has this problem but I cant get to my scrapbooking because I want to stay on here and read everything thats on here, hehe so how do you stop? and get to scrapbooking, lol

Welcome and you will love it here.

Welcome Cia! Goodluck on learning the Digital world! It is so much fun but, for me I had to take it one step at a time because there is sooooooo much to learn. But, once you get a hang of one 'trick' you want to learn the next--it seems to be addicting for sure. Just have fun with it.

Archived