Adding Layer Styles And Actions To Pse6

schmoo

Here are some instructions for how to load layer styles and actions, that you have purchased, into PSE6 and to get them to appear in the menu as opposed to the 'show all' option. Please make sure you copy files and never edit one of your original files. These instructions are quite long and you may want to print them out. I have tried to make these instructions as easy as possible for people to follow and as accurate as I can. If there is an error in them can you please post. If you are a complete novice on the computer please proceed with caution.

A quick note for those people just starting out with custom styles and actions and other stuff. I save all mine in a folder called PSE Custom Stuff and then have folders in there called Styles, Actions, Shapes, Textures, Filters. Then I put each style, action etc into the relevent folder (still in it's own folder). Then I put a copy of the .asl or .atn file in the folder it needs to be in to be installed in PSE. This makes life way easier if you want to upgrade. Then you can find all your custom stuff really easy.

Layer Styles

Close PSE6

You need to put the style file (.asl) in this folder:

XP- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations\layer styles

Vista- C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations\layer styles

This will get the style into PSE6 and will appear in the 'show all' option in the styles palette.

To get the style to appear on the menu of the styles palette you need to create an XML file for it.

In the folder below is the XML files for the styles.

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\photo Creations Metadata\layer styles

(Sorry don't know the path for Vista but it is possibly Vista- C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\<en_US or your locale>\Photo Creations Metadata\layer styles)

1) You need to create an XML file with the exact same name as the style asl file. Every style set (.asl) needs to have it's own XML file.

So first I copied one of the existing XML files. Then I renamed it to the new style (I copied the .asl file name and then pasted it to ensure accuracy).

2) You need to edit the XML file (I just used Notepad) and this must include the exact file name (I pasted again).

Here's what the original Bevels XML file looked like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<PSEContent xmlns="http://ns.adobe.com/PSEContent/1.0/">

<global>

<type value="style" />

<typecategory id="CatBevels" value="Bevels" localize="true" />

</global>

</PSEContent>

and here's the changed one for the Grunged Metal style I have:

<global>

<type value="style" />

<typecategory id="CatGrungedMetals_4103_CBA" value="GrungedMetals_4103_CBA" localize="true" />

</global>

</PSEContent>

The bold bits are what was changed. I don't have any idea what any of it means but this worked for me.

Now restart PSE6 and the media database will be recreated in the background. This may take a few minutes (depending on how many styles/actions you are adding in one go) and will cause the Editor to act a little strange (flicker) when you try to access the Effects Palette. When this has finished you should have the style in the list. If not restart PSE.

Installing Actions

Close PSE6

Action files (ATN) need to be installed in

XP- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

(Sorry don't know the one for Vista, you are going to have to look)

Actions also need an XML file (which is found in the '.....photo creations metadata\photo effects' folder), if you want them to appear in the photo effects palette. With Actions you can define a Category, where 'type cat' value=. This means you can have more than one action in a Category. Here's an example of one of mine:

<global>

<name id="Name" value="MRE_SS_PaperTear_PSE" localize="true"/>

<type value="effect" />

<typecategory id="TypeCat" value="Paper Tear (MRE)" localize="true" /></global>

</PSEContent>

If you compare to one of the XML files you already have you should be able to see the difference.

For the "TypeCat" value="Paper Tear (MRE)", the bit where I have Paper Tear (MRE) can be any description you want. This does not have to be the same as the ATN file name. This is the heading that will appear in the Effects Palette.

Every action needs to have it's own XML file that is named exactly the same as the action filename (.atn)(use copy and paste). So for Melissa's paper tear actions you need 3 XML files that correspond to the 3 ATN files that come with the action. For each of the XML files the "TypeCat" value needs to be the same. To make this easier for myself I did one first by coping an existing XML and editing it, then I copied that twice and made the changes to the filename and "Name" value.

Also with actions you need to have an associated PNG (which should be in the same directory as the action file) to get the little picture in the effects palette. All the actions I had had PSD files so I bulk converted them to PNG thru the editor (File, Process Multilple Files, and only did this because I have a lot of actions).

Some actions come with PSD's that have multiple layers such as Melissa's Paper Tear Action. With this type of PSD you need to save every layer as a PNG file. So you should end up with 3 PNG files for the paper tear actions and they need to have the exact same filename as the ATN file (again copy and paste the filename to ensure accuracy).

Again, restart PSE6 and the media database will rebuild in the background and PSE6 may behave a little strange while this is happening.

I think that covers it, sorry about the length.

See this post for a really good tip by Christy for creating shortcuts to all the different places you need to save things for PSE6, because it does get messy. Actually here's the text from that post if you don't want to read the rest of it:

Posted by ChristyW (Oct 25 2007)

Excerpt: " I recently purchased 6.0 (and do love it!) Because these folders are in strange places and I had to keep looking up the paths for them, I created a folder called 'Adobe Effects'. In the folder I made three short cuts to the actions, brushes and styles folders - the short cuts are labeled 'put actions here' , 'put brushes here', and 'put styles here'. I then have a shortcut to this folder on my desktop. Now when I want to install a new action, etc. I don't have to hunt down the folder/path, I can simple paste them to these 'dummy' shortcuts!! "

Also you may have to rebuild the media database, see post #3 of this thread for info on that.

Sue

I just wanted to add, that for whatever reason, when I followed Sue's tips the first few times, they did not work for me. The categories would not show up.

To get it to work, I ended up having to force PSE to rebuild the database. Once I did that (one time), the installation worked fine everytime. Just thought I would add that, in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

To force the database to rebuild, close PSE, then rename these two files (instead of deleting, just in case something went wrong):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\MediaDatabase.db3

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\ThumbDatabase.db3

This is the path for Windows XP, don't know with vista (use your search tool to find the files)

I simply add '_old' to the end of the filenames when renaming them. It doesn't much matter what you rename them to, they just need to be different, so the software can't find them and will rebuild them when you open it.

Hi,

I recently purchased the paper tear action, and am having problems getting it to install into PSE6 with Vista.

I'm new to the world of digi scrapping, having just started a few months ago using an old version of MS Picture It and now upgraded to PSE6.

I had no problems learning how to install brushes, but actions have been very confusing.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated. :thanks:

Pam

Homeschool Mom of 2

New Digi Scrapper in training

>>>>>Close PSE6

Action files (ATN) need to be installed in

XP- C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

(Sorry don't know the one for Vista, you are going to have to look)>>>>>>>>>>

Pam,

Are you having trouble with where to put the .atn file?

I don't know the exact location for Vista but it could be this:

C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Photo Creations\photo effects

I'm guessing that somewhere within this folder C:\ProgramData\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0 you need to find the photo effects folder (it my be in a sub folder) that contains your .atn files.

In XP to see what kind of file it is you can hold your mouse pointer over the file name and it will display a message box with some info about the file or you can change the view in Explorer to 'details' and this shows the file types in a seperate column.

Sorry I'm not using Vista.

Hope this helps

Sue

Pam, did you make a .png file from the .psd file?? In 6.0, the action file must be accompanied by a .png, but the file you get from SG is .psd. If you open the .psd file and 'save as', change the file type to .png. Then you need to put both the .atn file and .png file in the correct folder.

If I remember right, the folder that the action files go in was hidden. I'm not sure if it is the same in vista, but in XP to show hidden files you use Tools > Folder Options > View -- then select 'show hidden files and folders'

Hope this helps, be sure to post if you are able to get it or not!!!

Pam, did you make a .png file from the .psd file?? In 6.0, the action file must be accompanied by a .png, but the file you get from SG is .psd. If you open the .psd file and 'save as', change the file type to .png. Then you need to put both the .atn file and .png file in the correct folder.

If I remember right, the folder that the action files go in was hidden. I'm not sure if it is the same in vista, but in XP to show hidden files you use Tools > Folder Options > View -- then select 'show hidden files and folders'

Hope this helps, be sure to post if you are able to get it or not!!!

Hi Ladies,

Thanks for your help. This is a lengthy process for me as I'm slowly working through this between school work, piano lessons and other daily chores.

I was able to find the hidden files and I think I have the right one needed to copy the atn files into. C>program data>adobe>photoshop elements>6.0>photo creations>photo effects

there are alot of other files there like the blizzard.atn carving.atn colorfade.atn

Does this sound like the right place?

Now the problem I'm having is trying to rename the psd file. I don't see anywhere to do a "save as" when I right click I only get the standard open, edit, open with, share, send to, cut, copy paste. When I open the file, it opens with PSE, probably because I had installed it incorrectly the first time by trying to use the instruction file included in the download for PSE5 BTW, the thumbnail icon looks like the little PSE camera.

maybe I'll try to unzip the psd file from its original location again and see if I have other options.

Gee, I didn't know this would be so much trouble, I also have a stiches and holes actions and styles to install that I haven't yet attempted.

Thanks for your patience and help

Pam

Pam,

You need to open the psd file in PSE and then do File->Save As

Leave the filename the same and change the Format to PNG then click on Save.

Make sure the PNG file is in the same directory as the ATN file. And Yes that sounds like the right directory, mine has those files too.

Sue

Thanks so much! I was beating my head into the keyboard trying to figure this out on the Adobe page and could not! I've downloaded your instructions and I'll try tomorrow when the fog lifts from my brain!

Kelly :thanks:

Hey There

I got the Paper Tear Action installed! :clap::clap: Maybe there is hlpe for me yet :disappearing-smilie:

I ended up having to force it to rebuild the data base, using your helpful instructions.

Somehow I didn't get the PNG file in the same directory as the ATN, because the action works, but it doesn't show the thumbnail, only the file name on the palette. And, alhtough I installed the paper tear brush, its not working. I played with the paper tear action using other brushes.

I think its because I don't have everything in the same directory, maybe?

Thanks again for your help

Pam

Hey all...Just wanted to let you know that we are in the middle of updating all of our actions so they will include a PSE6 folder. With that folder all you'll have to do is move the .png and .atn files into your folder. This should be finished up today.

If it's not showing the thumbnail and your png and atn file are in the same folder it's due to the fact they are not named exactly the same.

If your link has expired email me at angie@scrapgirls.com and i'll send you a new link, then you'll have the folder that is correct and you can install from there

• 3 weeks later...

OK, I followed Sue's instructions, and got my MRE_stamped effects working. However, the only way to see them on my effects pallet is to pick "show all" - I thought I had filed them so they would show up as "stamped effecte" when I made my xml files. Did I miss something, or did I just misunderstand? I put the name of the atn files (I didn't put the atn extensions on it - was I supposed to?) in the first spot in bold, then put "Stamped Effects" in the second spot.

This is what I ended up with (items in bold are what I changed):

<global>

<name id="Name" value="MRE_PSE_Stamped" localize="true"/>

<type value="effect" />

<typecategory id="TypeCat" value="Stamped Effects (MRE)" localize="true" />

</global>

</PSEContent>

Sheri...I had the same problem, followed instructions exactly but couldn't get the categories to show up. I had to force the database to rebuild one time. If you scroll up to post #3, I give the instructions on how to do it. Once I did it the first time, all the other .xml files worked like a charm!

Hopefully that's all it is for you as well!!

Christy

Thanks Christy! I thought I had rebuilt my databases, but I guess it just didn't take the first time around. Other than a bizarre few minutes when my half of my little thumbnails disappeared (I just re-copied them back in with the atn files - not sure why 4 disappeared, and 2 didn't, but I guess my computer has a mind of it's own! lol) - I believe it's all up and running. Who new digital scrapping was going to involve computer programming!

• 1 month later...
I just wanted to add, that for whatever reason, when I followed Sue's tips the first few times, they did not work for me. The categories would not show up.

To get it to work, I ended up having to force PSE to rebuild the database. Once I did that (one time), the installation worked fine everytime. Just thought I would add that, in case anyone else encounters the same problem.

To force the database to rebuild, close PSE, then rename these two files (instead of deleting, just in case something went wrong):

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\Locale\en_US\MediaDatabase.db3

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop Elements\6.0\ThumbDatabase.db3

This is the path for Windows XP, don't know with vista

Sorry to be a little backward here, but what do I rename these files as? :banghead:

Just rename them as something like

OldMediaDatabase.db3

OldThumbDatabase.db3

You can rename them by right clicking on the filename and selecting 'rename' from the drop down menu. This will allow you to edit the filename.

Sue

I found out that you ONLY have to rename the MEDIAdatabase.db3 a problem encountered. You can leave the other alone.

It will rebuild the contents and effets pallete in PSE 6.0 for STYLES. I don't have actions. And, this is for Windows XP.

But, saves one step in the process.

• 2 weeks later...

Now I really did it!!

I followed the instructions and did finally get my files loaded in both the .asl and xml locations ...then.....i opened up to start working on something and not all my styles are showing and the show all function is no longer there...GRRR... I have 34 styles and only 30 are showing again with out the "show all" feature. is there a limit to how many styles you can have?? How can i organize it better and is there a way to get back the "show all" Also noticed that a few are crossed out - says "defalt style (none). can you add items to the sections already there... ex ... beveled 5401 included within original "bevel" section.

thanks in advance for your time!!

Cindy

Sometimes when you install new actions/styles you have to give PSE6 time to load the new ones when you first start PSE6 after the install (usually only a few minutes). And sometimes your styles and actions seem to get a little mixed up. When this happens you just need to exit out of PSE and then go back in and everything should be OK. This is my experience.

I don't know if there is a limit but I have 41 styles loaded OK.

As far as I know there is no way of combining styles as you would like too in PSE. You can not create styles and save them.

Sue

I have been reading the posts on installing styles in PSE6 -- I just haven't gotten up the nerve to do it yet. I would like to group all of my SG styles in a SG category -- rather than ithem all showing up under "Show All". Is that what modifying the XML files will do?

Thanks,

Duckie

I have been reading the posts on installing styles in PSE6 -- I just haven't gotten up the nerve to do it yet. I would like to group all of my SG styles in a SG category -- rather than ithem all showing up under "Show All". Is that what modifying the XML files will do?

Thanks,

Duckie

For styles creating an XML file will put each style in the list on it's own. So if you have the style Organica_5201_KSC it will appear in your styles list as this. I do not know any way of grouping sets of styles together.

Sue

• 1 month later...

This is the path for Windows XP, don't know with vista

I need to do this. What do I rename the files as?

Hi!

Thanks for all the help with this, but I need a little more. :)

My actions aren't showing up. I read the part about the .psd files needing to be converted to .png, but neither of the two actions I have seem to have .psd files. (I still have the original zips and unzipped them to no avail.)

The two I have are CBA_SSTools_StickerMaker_4101 and SNU_SSTools_Actions_DreamyPhoto6301.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

KJ

Those actions are for Photoshop 7 or higher. When you are buying actions you need to buy the ones that say PSE. Not all of the actions have a PSE equivalent. So even if you got them installed they probably won't work correctly.

Email Angie at hello@scrapgirls.com and request a refund.

And Welcome to Scrapgirls.

Sue

Archived