Carbonite And Extra Internal Hard Drives!

Oh guess what? I can't believe I found this today. Pure accident.

So I was setting up Network Magic so that I can share files and printers between my desktop and laptop, right? Well, I couldn't see the files on my extra internal hard drives on my PC (I have three of them). They are my primary "extra" storage and work like EHD for me. They are massive. I use one of them just for my Acronis backups of my system.

I have been semi-nervous about two of them because Carbonite didn't have them - it only had my C drive. Well, WOOOO HOOOO!!! If you click on Properties for those drives, you'll find a Carbonite tab. You can then check the box for Carbonite to back up those files as well. So I'm in for another massive initial backing up period for them, but MAN, OH MAN... Was I EXCITED to see my wonderful colored dots appear on all of those files.

WOO HOOO!!!!

'

Now when they get EHD backup (which is where I have stuff for my laptop just for portability sake), life is going to be rosey.

But I will have three drives on my PC backedup and my laptop backed up, too. (The computers require separate subscriptions, just in case you are wondering.)

I'm so happy!

:dancingcow::dancingcow::dancingcow:

(Carbonite doesn't want to pick up that drive where my Acronis files are, by the way... It is picking up the other two drives because it has files - like PSD, jpgs, docs.... stuff like that - on them.)

Ro,

Do your extra internal HDs come up with different drive letters? If so, it sounds like Carbonite should be doing this backup. If it can see different drives for internal, how can the system really know if the extra drives are located in the machine or outside it?

Might be a stupid quesiton but I'm curious....and I have a feeling I'm missing some detail here. I'm one of the many that are praying they get the ehd version up and running soon....very soon.

Thanks,

Denise

Yes, they come up with different letters. I have C (of course), D, F and G as internal har drives drives. E is my DVD player.

Your computer can tell if a drive is internal or external. Obviously, Carbonite has it engineered to pick up all of the internal drives - because you can't remove them from your computer and pack them around, right? But external drives can be moved from computer to computer and they show up differently. The icon for them in the My Computer list even shows up differently (at least on a PC). My PCs know that my external is a Maxtor and that a Maxtor is an external drive AND it shows a picture of that drive. Funny.

But the internal drives icons are all the same. With internal drives, you can actually install software on them and use them instead of your main drive. I started using extra internal drives a number of years ago and saw my data make it through many computer crashes and got hooked on them then. That is why I always have my computers built for me rather than buying an "off the shelf" computer by Dell or at an office supply place. I go to my fav computer place, tell them what I want on my machine (Ram, drives, storage, etc.) and they build it just for me.

This thing I have now has two - 250 G drives and two 500 G drives in it.

(More information than you wanted to know...)

It's a big computer. I'm so jazzed that Carbonite is backing up this monster.

I can't wait for that EHD thing, too, because I have all of my newly organized supplies sitting on my EHD. I just did that a couple of weeks ago when I was sick. It would be such a time-buster to have to redo it all if I lost it because of a failure.

Believe me, once they get it out, we'll shout it to the world! (Oh, Len..... Are you listening to us? Wave!)

Hi len!!

wow Ro! talk about power computer! I buy the cheap knock offs and have fun upgrading, adding.. or heck, tearing open the case and playing. Im such a nerd!

I believe the difference about internal and external is.. most externals are nifty little plug and play things. When they are like that the computer just.. knows they are external! hehe. An internal hard drive your computer knows because its plugged into the motherboard via a special cable (that big thick cable, if you ever looked in your computer)

fun eh?

bye len!

angela

ahh... very true. I should have remembered that my ehd does come up differently then my internals (guess I was just hoping :) ). Thanks for the reminder Ro.

I too, tend to soup up a computer before I buy it and spec it just so. The difference with me though is mine's a laptop. I'm betting yours is a desktop so there are plenty of extra bays for all those HUGE HDs!

With everyone's stories here lately, I'm getting a bit more anxious about backing up my files OFF premis and have started looking at Mozy cause they can do the ehd. I'm trying to hold out for Carbonite but ..... not sure how much longer we'll be asked to do that holding.

LEN - do you have a time frame for us yet??? Heck...I'd probably be willing to be a beta tester at this point!

Denise

LEN - do you have a time frame for us yet??? Heck...I'd probably be willing to be a beta tester at this point!

I know I've said this before about the external hard drive support, and I apologize that it's still the best answer I can give, but all I can say is "real soon now". The functionality is done, but there's more work to do in other areas of the version that will include EHD support. I've tried it (on an internal alpha release) with my own externals at home (a MyBook 250gb, and an HP Personal Media Drive 80gb) and both backed up and restored just fine. We're very excited about adding this functionality to the product, and I'm sure you'll all be really happy with it once we roll it out. I'm sorry I can't give a specific date yet, but I'll make sure I stop by and give you all the details as soon as that information is available.

Archived