Paint Shop Or Photoshop?

PurpleJAF

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been able to put as much time into learning my PSP9 as I'd like. I'm going back to school and it's taking A LOT of time.

Anyway, when I have a few extra minutes to read or look for books, I'm finding that there seems to be MUCH more out there for Photoshop than there is for Paint Shop. Many more tutorials, magazine articles, and even how to books seem to be written for Paint Shop.

So, I have have PSP 8 and PSP 9, but am really wondering if I should look into Photoshop. I know everyone who uses one or the other will love which ever one they are using, so, I'd love to hear from both sides and what you all think.

Thanks, in advance, for your input. I feel lost in this big wide world of digi scrapping!

Julie F.

Pittsburgh, PA

I expect that you are right here that people will love what they use and it seems it is often a matter of what you were used to first. I use PSP for some of my web design work for clients but find PS more flexible for my scrapping (I use CS2 at the moment). In part, it is probably that I am more used to PS - and also partly that I have an older version of PSP with fewer options. I especially love the layers and blending options as they are set up in PS making them easy to use and so flexible. Also, as you mentioned, I have found that the Adobe Suite is so well supported with books, online tutorials and freebies. Of course, I have no doubt you'll hear the same thing about PSP but I am definitely sold on the PS option myself.

Good luck with the decision.

Mary Elizabeth

Can't speak for PSP in that I haven't used it. I've always been a Photoshop girl, even before digi-scrappin' -- but I will tell you that I use CS3 and absolutely LOVE it. I haven't found a single thing that I couldn't do (once I learned it, that is.) BUT... I took a LOT of classes on Photoshop and NONE of them taught me as much as Ro's tutorials did. My world has completely opened up, Photoshop wise, in this past year thanks to Ro and Scrap Girls. The support has been AWESOME. I won't be switching software... that's for certain. And you're right... there is sooooo much out there for Photoshop... it's amazing what you can do!

Hi,

Tough decision. But I just have to step in here with a pitch for PSP, especially if that's what you began with. But first, I'd recommend you upgrade to at least PSP X of XI, both of which you can get online at a great discount. If you've had problems learning PSP9, I'd probably suggest you stay away from learning an entire new set of commands, tools, etc, with an Adobe product. With the upgrade in PSP, at least the terminology remains the same as the later versions, and I really haven't seen anything that PhotoShop Elements can do that PSP can't. And unless you are a professional in photography or digital design, the later versions of PhotoShop, the Creative Suite series, are probably overkill. I know they would be for me.

As far as books, manuals, tutorials being more plentiful for Photo Shop and PSE, well, here at Scrap Girls, that's certainly true, but I have never looked for a tutorial for PSP that I didn't find here, and the Internet groups are endess. Also, if you understand the basic concepts, the PSE tutorials are certainly applicable. In fact, I've taken several classes here at ScrapGirls that were for PSE and had no problem "translating" the commands into PSP-ese! And I also have found a lot of hard copy books for PSP through the years.

Mainly, as in many things, I think the decision as to which software to use comes down to money and comfort. I began with PSP back in the 90's when Web graphics first hit the Internet and I feel as if I've grown with it and I feel a certain loyalty. Had I began with an Adobe product, I'm sure I'd feel the same way.

Good luck with your decision, and rest assured that no matter what software you settle on, you'll always find support at ScrapGirls. Welcome Aboard!

I have PSPX, I don't know any of this type of software at all. I bought the cd on ebay.com for under $20, new cd not a copy with a key. The cd was never opened. I priced the other software out, I could never afford or would I pay that much for software. I found a book at one of the major bookstores and was able to buy it used on Amazon.com. I am in a Yahoo group to learn PSP. There are like 25 or more lessons to learn it. I hope to know it well enough to be able to change something done in one of the other software over PSP, so I can do it. I also found lots of free tutorials on the web to do different things with PSP. I found these on my first search on Yahoo. I am not very experienced at searches.

Lois

I have to jump in here and put my 2¢ in too. I'd have to say that I agree with everything Sarah said. But I'd like to add that I think PSPX (my current ver) has probably been the easiest I've ever owned as far as graphics editing software goes. Yes... I'm loyal to PSP but not just for sake of being loyal. I've been using it for many years like Sarah for the same reasons. But I've tried learning PS and I must say that PSP is much easier to learn and there seem to be more short cuts for performing certain tasks. For instance... zooming in and out. I've noticed in PS that I have to click on the zoom tool and then click on the - or + to zoom in or out...with PSPX all I have to do is use my scrolling wheel on my mouse. It's second nature for me to do that in PSPX but I find it very annoying in PS to have to do the added steps. Another thing that bothers me about PS is that I have to open a file before I can drag it onto my layout. Not so with PSPX. All I have to do is click and drag from the browser. Ok... I realize these are minor things to most people... but for me it makes all the difference in the world when it comes to saving clicks and time. And as far as price goes... you can't beat the fact that PSPX can do much (not all) of what PS can do for a whole lot cheaper. So for the average digi scrapper PSP is a great alternative to PS price wise, it's top of the line and it will be able to do everything you need it to do. It also doesn't have the steep learning curve that's required with PS. And if you're comparing PSP to PSE... they're comparable in features and price but it still comes down to ease of use to me. So if you've been using PSP I'd say you're better off staying with it. Of course... that's just my opinion. Sarah hit the nail on the head though... what ever you decide, you're sure to get lots of support here at SG.

Thanks, everyone, for the wonderful input. I appreciate everything you all had to say.

I'm thinking, that since I have (and I don't know where they came from) PSP8 and PSP9 and PSP Studio, a PSP 8 "How to do everything with..." book, and Ro's Scrapbook Secrets for PSP 9, maybe I should stick with learning one of those for now. As much as I'd like to upgrade to a newer version, I think my computer needs worked on first. I think I'm going to need more memory to hold this stuff safe.

Since, I'm so new, just learning my program is a challenge and I don't really know what I'm missing in the newer versions, yet. So, I think I probably should concentrate on learning and getting comfortable then moving on.

Oh, well, I've rambled enough. Thanks again, everyone who responded. I appreciate hearing your opinions.

Julie F.

Julie,

If I could just add one more thing? With the various PSP programs that you have on your computer, I believe I'd stick with PSP 9. I don't know why, and maybe it's just my superstition, but the even numbered versions always seem to have something wonky wrong with them! With the exception of X, of course. I didn't keep PSP 8 on my computer for more than a couple of weeks before I completely deleted it and went back to 7.

I'm using X2 a lot now, because I like some of it's new features - the Express Lab for one, but as Brenda said earlier, X1 is much easier to use. It has a lot of features that I really don't want to leave behind - like being able to drag files from the browser or organizer onto your layout. So actually, within PSP, I'm straddling the fence a bit here ;-) But that's ok. I can use X1 for most things, and X2 for the things it does that I like.

Anything and everything you learn will about PSP 9 can be used in all the later programs.

And Brenda, thanks for reminding me how easy it is to Zoom in PSP! Sometimes I forget to be thankful for small favors!

I have to say too... i have pse and psp. But i know psp so well.. that pse is so foreign. One time i tried to do a layout with pse, and everyone here was laughing cause i didnt have a clue on how to do something as simple as insert a paper to my alyout! (find out it was a simple key stroke, but i didnt know that!)

Since you have a basis with psp, and you know the earlier versions. You are going to find that the X, XI and X2 are much easier to use, but completely familiar. You wont have to go figure out how to do that one thing again.

Though i have to say sometimes when i see a newbie, who doesnt use a program yet.. i stear towards pse, as there is so much help out there. And while they can get psp help here... i just try to give them the easiest method. makes sense?

so im not pointing you to psp just cause im a psp'er. :)

hope that helped

angela

Archived