Having Tear Action Problem

KariQ

I'm using the tear action (for PS) and I'm just not getting it.....and it is hard to describe what is going wrong. I think it is a technique problem maybe and not technical problem.

I've installed everything. I'm trying to use the paper tear on a 12 x 12 image. And everything is working right. But my tear doesn't look like what it is supposed to and I think I'm just doing something wrong. I've followed all instructions.

I draw my path and click ok. I'm trying to do an example like in the instructions - a paper tear placed on the left side of a layout. At this point, I can see on the screen that something is weird cause there is kind of a shadow looking area along the right side of my image. Maybe one would call it a very very very very thin transparent piece of the paper edge? I ignore it and go on with the next steps. Everything works ok. But when finished, my tear layer ALSO has what looks like a shadow on the left of the tear.

Am I being clear as mud?

I've played with all the settings and adjustments and numbers and I'm figuring out what each does but nothing seems to make what I'm referring to above go away....

Maybe I need to do images and put them in my post.

I can't wait to get this working right and learn the techniques! :dancingelephant:

Kari

Kari,

Once, when I was installing and uninstalling these as I was testing them I installed the action and when I went to use it I got a weird kind of ghosting on one part of the tear. I deleted the action, turned off PS installed the action part again and it worked fine. You might just try that to make sure we have a good installation.

The other thing I would check would be the tool preset, make sure that is installed and that you select your eraser tool and then click on that tool preset to activate those settings. If you are still having problems, screen shots would help for me to see what it is actually doing.

Either way, we will get you up and running, just need a little more information. :)

Ok, I'll try deleting the three tools and then reinstalling. And I just re-install them the same way - by dragging them onto my CS2 work area, right? I think that's right - I misplaced my instructions and will have to print them again. :-)

Kari

I just read your post on the other thread, and it sounds like an issue with using the tool preset. I know this takes a little bit of work to get all the parts and pieces working together. I really wanted to make something that could be customized later. Once you get used to making a basic paper tear there are a million varieties of tears to be made. :)

BUT, we've got to get it installed and working first. In the instructions I have screenshots to show you how to use the tool preset. What this does is set up your eraser brush to my exact specifications, all the presets just like I want them to make that nice textured edge. But you have to install (drag and drop is fine) and then you have to select it. Choose your eraser tool, then go to that top tab for the tool presets and select mine from the list. That should do it for you.

The other thing to make sure is that you are using the pen tool and not the shape tool. Again there are screenshots in the directions for what exactly that should look like. If you can't find those directions let me know.

Archived