Help With Ehd!

donna2d

Hey Girls, I'm a newbie who needs some help. My DH bought me a Free Agent 320gb EHD and I'm wanting to transfer my PSE-5 to it because of the LARGE amt of photos in the browser. Should I uninstall from my C-drive then reinstall to my EHD.....would photos still be there? Hubby said to move it into the EHD but it is still on the C-drive and can't be deleted. How should I go about doing this?

Thanx for any help you can offer......I really need it!

Guest dawnsmemories

I know at one point I tried downloading PSE4 to my EHD and I could not do it. Maybe there is a way to put the browser to the ehd I am not sure.

Good luck!

dawn

I know at one point I tried downloading PSE4 to my EHD and I could not do it. Maybe there is a way to put the browser to the ehd I am not sure.

Good luck!

dawn

Thanx for your input Dawn, hopefully we'll get it figured out during the extra "free" time during the holiday weekend!

Donna

My techie friend says it is better to not run a program like PSE from a EHD. The power can't run fast enough through the USB cord to run the program effectivly. He said you can run some small applications from a EHD but really not PSE. He explained it like having two water towers the same size but one has a 2 ft pipe and one has a 1 ft pipe. The water just can't travel as fast through the 1 ft pipe. Even though the tanks are the same size, you can't move the water (power) fast enough through the smaller pipe (USB cord)

I know that's kind of simple, but I need simple! LOL! So your better off just to install PSE on each computer you will be hooking up to. HTH!! Good luck!

Thanx Launa, more to think about. My only reason for wanting to move PSE was because of the many, many photos....I think it's slowing it down. Maybe there's another option there?

Donna

You can move all your photos to your ehd. and free up that space on your computer. It shouldnt require your pse to change... unless you need to point to them with the program.

is that what your asking for?

angela

Donna, what I do is keep everything on my EHD except Photoshop. I organize my supplies using Ro's Method in explorer. And I organize my photos in folders frist by year and then inside the 2007 folder, then folders by date and event. I also have a folder called photos to scrap, that helps me just go grab a photo when the mood strikes. I really didn't like the way the PSE organizer worked, it was really slow and half the time couldn't find the file I was looking for!

I don't know if you know this, I may sound silly, but your photos aren't actually stored in the pse organizer, you just view them and organize them there. For me it is much easier in explorer.

I hope that helps! Please ask more questions if you have them!!

Yes Angela, I thought I was wanting to move my photos from the PSE organizer/browser because I thought the amount of them (a little over 10,000) may be slowing down PSE. But maybe if they're not actually there (as Launa says) I don't need to. I really love the organizer and being able to tag my photos and organize them the way they have it set up. Should I just leave them there and maybe move some other things to my EHD and anything new that I might want to download? (My internal hard drive is almost full, another reason for the EHD since I could not add anymore internal gigs.) Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!! Donna

The only problem when you move your photos, when the organizer trys to find them and they aren't where they used to be, it says it needs to reconnect to the file, and takes forever looking for it or you have to tell it where it is. And if I had to do that for over 10,000 items, I think I would cry! That is why I stopped using it, and I do think it slows PSE way down even the photos are just being organized. You might want to look in to something like Acdsee if yo don't want to use the explorer method. I know alot of scrapbookers use it to organize their photos and supplies and love it. HTH!!

I don't know about that, I'm pretty new to PSE as well.....just starting to get my feet wet in digi scrapping. I guess maybe I should check the "Help" dept. @ PSE......unless someone on here can answer your question.

The organizer in pse just "keeps track" of where your photo files are. Now with that said the organizer has to know what you are doing. So if you decide to move your photos to an external HD my suggestion would be to try and move the files while you are in the organizer. On the left hand side of your organizer window your able to show a folder tree similar to windows explorer. I posted a screen shot about this

http://scrapgirls.com.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=16710 not sure if this links works but go towards the bottom and the screenshot should be there. This is where you should always move files if you use the organizer. I didn't know this a bit ago and made the mistake of moving all my files around and I used the organizer for all my photos and it created a huge mess. It took me about a week of posting questions to figure out what I did wrong and someone on another message board helped me out and explained that is what I did wrong. hth

chris

Thanx Chris! I'll try that one.....after I make sure I have any recent photos copied to DVD. Thanx for the screen shot too, I think most girls are "visual" learners aren't we? I really appreciate all the help, I always come to ScrapGirls for help. One of these days I'll even start posting, once I get my setup worked out. Thanx again for everyone's help!!

Archived