Startup Disk Full?

cherise

I just got a new MacBook Pro about a month ago and I am loving it! I have created and downloaded a bunch of stuff in the last month and installed new memory-hogging software. But imagine my surprise when I got a message, saying that my startup disk is nearly full today! It says I need to start deleting stuff. How do I change the setting on my startup disk? I have a 30 GB hard drive and there is still over 20 GB available. Isn't this the startup disk? Why would it be saying it's full? Any ideas?

Gosh, 30 GB isn't very big. It wouldn't take much of anything to fill it up and it seems that you would get stuck in the mud. If you could do it, I would recommend that you run right out and get an external hard drive. You can get a 600 GB one (or bigger) for just a couple of hundred of dollars and it will change your life. I can't imagine being a designer without enough room.

I don't know how Macs run but PCs require a certain amount of room just for "thinking".

30 GB? Really? Are you sure it isn't 300 GB? My new laptop hard drive is 250 GB. My old 2004 model has 74 GB.

Do they make Macs that small? (What do I know about that? Nuttin! Ha!) Can any computer run on a hard drive that small?

I'm confused!

Gosh, 30 GB isn't very big. It wouldn't take much of anything to fill it up and it seems that you would get stuck in the mud. If you could do it, I would recommend that you run right out and get an external hard drive. You can get a 600 GB one (or bigger) for just a couple of hundred of dollars and it will change your life. I can't imagine being a designer without enough room.

I don't know how Macs run but PCs require a certain amount of room just for "thinking".

30 GB? Really? Are you sure it isn't 300 GB? My new laptop hard drive is 250 GB. My old 2004 model has 74 GB.

Do they make Macs that small? (What do I know about that? Nuttin! Ha!) Can any computer run on a hard drive that small?

I'm confused!

Oops! Yes - it *is* bigger than 30 GB . .. it's 150 GB. And I've already put 120 GB on it in the last month! Yikes! Yes, an EHD is definitely on my list of things to get very soon (maybe sooner than I planned now!). But I *still* figured that with 20 GB, I would have enough room to do stuff . . . I guess not though?

i echo ro.... external external external.

i got a 500 gig a year ago and ive used 200 gigs. i use it only for my designing stuffs.

and i dont know anything about macs either ... but it seems like you know what you need to do. you filled that thing up fast didnt you!! :)

Just an update . . . I just couldn't believe that I had used up 120 GB in a month, so I went searching. (When I thought that I had only used 10 GB, it was more believable - but after posting and figuring out that I started with 150, I realized that I had used 120 instead!) I went folder by folder and found a corrupt zipped file that said it was taking up over 80 GB of space! For one file! It was a zipped file that had given me an error when I tried to unzip it and I didn't think twice about it. I deleted that corrupt file and now I have over 100 GB on my hard drive again! Whew! So I wasn't quite as crazy as I first thought . . .

I still plan to get an External (maybe tomorrow with the sales), but it's not quite the emergency that I thought it was about an hour ago . . .

Thanks for the advice and listening ear!

Incredible, isn't it?! I don't keep any of my scrapping supplies on my internal hard drive. They are all external so that I don't bog down my hard drive. The problem is that all of our computers (even Macs) will use our hard drives as extra memory when necessary. And Photoshop uses the hard drive as a scratch disk. The warning that your computer gave you is really just a heads up. It's letting you know that if you don't start taking things off of your hard drive, you're going to have a problem in the not too distant future. This weekend might be a good one to go get an EHD... lots of good sales! :D

Archived