New Camera Choices...

jaxscraps

OK - I am looking for some opinions from anyone and everyone.....

I have the opportunity to upgrade my digital camera (thanks to DH :wub:) and my choices are between the Nikon D70 and the Canon Digital Rebel (the newest one, 8.2mp, etc).

I would like to hear from those of you who have any experience and opinions between the two, such as ease of use, speed, lens choices, picture results, options, whatever.

I am so excited but I would love to hear what you have to say. I am also researching some internet sites as well and would appreciate any links to sites for reviews etc if you have them!

TIA - and I'll let you know how it comes out....

lucky girl!!

I have the Rebel XT (the new 8.2mp), so I can tell you about that one. I have no experience w/ the D70, but these two are always compared.

First place to start is... do you have any lenses/filters? Because, you will be buying into a "system" and not just a camera. If you have some older lenses (of high quality) that might help you decide which camp to choose, that's why I went Canon. After buying the XT, I want to buy new lenses. In theory, the lenses will outlive the camera as technology advances.

Depending on what camera you are upgrading from, there is a definite learning curve to a DSLR, so be patient. The XT is very fast and has tons of features that I love.

This is my favorite site for anything about cameras: [url="http://dpreview.com/"]dpreview[/url]
It has excellent reviews and you can compare the 2 cameras. I also know they have a Rebel Forum.

[quote name='dinny' date='Jul 2 2005, 05:12 PM']lucky girl!!

I have the Rebel XT (the new 8.2mp), so I can tell you about that one. I have no experience w/ the D70, but these two are always compared.

First place to start is... do you have any lenses/filters? Because, you will be buying into a "system" and not just a camera. If you have some older lenses (of high quality) that might help you decide which camp to choose, that's why I went Canon. After buying the XT, I want to buy new lenses. In theory, the lenses will outlive the camera as technology advances.

Depending on what camera you are upgrading from, there is a definite learning curve to a DSLR, so be patient. The XT is very fast and has tons of features that I love.

This is my favorite site for anything about cameras: [url="http://dpreview.com/"]dpreview[/url]
It has excellent reviews and you can compare the 2 cameras. I also know they have a Rebel Forum.
[right][post="19591"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I currently have an Olympus c5050, so I am inbetween the strictly point and shoot and DSLR, I've been trying to experiment w/the options to get used to what I might use most, but mainly I'm interested in wildlife type shots where I need more zoom, for example and more speed. Since I can't change lenses on the olympus, it limits what I can do.

It's good to know for the future that if I get a fav lense or two that I am comfortable with, I don't have to upgrade everything if I stick to the same family! A good point to keep in mind.
Thanks so much, and I will check out the weblink...

Guest gauchogirl
I have the Nikon D70 and LOVE it! LOVE IT! What was said above though is the same advice I would give - everything I have ever seen and read would lead me to believe you would love either camera, so if there is some other reason to choose one or the other, do that. Otherwise, you might see which is less expensive and has more affordable options and lenses (although I'll bet they're close!)
How exciting for you!
t

Guest talina
Wow! Lucky you! Please, share what info you find and what you decide. I hope to be purchasing a new camera soon (you know, to go with my new laptop and new wide-format printer :P)...

Off to check out that link.

Oh wow, is my head spinning after all the reading....
It seems to be a dead heat between the two but I think after getting my hands around both at the local camera store, I am probably going w/the new canon rebel. It is smaller and lighter and has 8 mp instead of 6 for the same price. Since my hands are small, the Nikon felt a little big for me. The lenses and accessories all seem to be in the same price range, so since I have none to start with that was no help either! I'll keep you posted on the final result and thanks for the input.
That link has great reviews on tons of models, I like the objective feel of them and the comparison testing w/their standards and all.
Thanks again!

Jax, I know what you mean about head spinning! I felt the same way, still do as I try to find the lens(es) I really want.

If you decide on the Rebel, really think about buying it with or without the kit lens. Try to decide if it's better to save the $$ from the kit lens and buy the lens you really want. If you are thinking wild life shots, the kit lens might be a disappointment.

I am a little apprehensive after reading some reviews that the kit lens is a little "soft". But the guy at the camera store suggested that as long as I wasn't blowing up the pics super big, I could take a regular shot and crop to pics for say scrapbook size and not lose any detail b/c of the high pixel count. So I am still researching....

I risk sounding like a broken record....

but I have the Canon Rebel and I LOVE that camera. I have a zoom lense and I recently got some to-die-for pictures of my grandson that would have been impossible without the camera.

The best thing? It is possible for a rank-amateur like me to get some great shots. And the more I play around with it, the more fun I have.

Buying that Rebel was one of the best purchases I made!

[quote name='Ro' date='Jul 5 2005, 01:17 AM']I risk sounding like a broken record....

but I have the Canon Rebel and I LOVE that camera. I have a zoom lense and I recently got some to-die-for pictures of my grandson that would have been impossible without the camera.

The best thing? It is possible for a rank-amateur like me to get some great shots. And the more I play around with it, the more fun I have.

Buying that Rebel was one of the best purchases I made!
[right][post="19670"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

I don't mind, this is what I was looking for - input!
What kind of zoom do you have? Not the kit lens I'm assuming? (still debating on the kit and save up money for a better zoom, or the body only and get a zoom now. I don't want to waste money on poor optics in a zoom if its better to save up for a better one and use the kit lense for now.
decisions, decisions......

Guest rjmommie
I just ordered the N70 for myself. I have a Nikon 35MM already, so I can use those lenses as well.

Which one did you get?

After much reading and looking, I ended up getting the canon rebel xt. The Nikon was heavier and larger, and I have small hands, so the canon fit me better. I also saved about $200 on the kit over the nikon and got 8 instead of 6 mp. Since I don't have any lenses yet, that is a good start on saving up for a good telephoto to stalk the wildlife with! Now it's just a matter of practice and learning!
Thanks for all the input from everyone, it was very helpful!

Archived