Question About Tutorial Layer Mask

malia111

I have your tutorial on creating a layer mask in pse. I am fairly new to this, so bear with me. I get to the part about the gradient tool. Everything works til I get there and then nothing happens. I have my photo as a 8.5x11 page. I downloaded your calligraphy template, and it is covering my photo. I created an adjustment layer, choose my color, and moved the template above the mask layer. Then I clicked ctrlg to create a clipping mask. I guess I don't really understand the gradient feature. I picked the radial gradient , and clicked edit, and moved the slider to 40%. The picture on the tutorial shows the photo on the page, but on my page it is just the template with color. Your instructions tell me to draw on the mask, but nothing happens. What am I doing wrong.

I don't know anything about Layer Masks in PSE so I can't answer your question. I just wanted to bump up your post so it won't get missed.

Oh ... and

WelcometoSG-1.png

You should go introduce yourself in the Meet and Greet Forum! I'm glad you felt comfortable enough to ask your question! :D

Okay, I think this is my tutorial that you're referring to. :D

The gradient - you need to have a black and white gradient. The mantra to learn with layer masks is that black conceals and white reveals. If you have chosen the radial gradient with black on the end and white in the middle, you will then click and drag with your mouse, on your layout where you want the photo to show through. Start in approximately the center of your photo, and drag either to the right or left. Since you've chosen a radial gradient, the white (which reveals what's under the layer you're on) will be in a circle, and it fades out to black. Your paper template layer needs to be the active one (highlighted in the Layers Palette.)

So, you should have the photo showing through and it fading out to show the paper template.

HTH! It's so hard to do this without screenshots, but this is what I did in the tutorial, so hopefully it will help you putting it all together. :)

Let me know if you need more help. :)

Archived