If You Were A Christmas Decoration...

patsyt

So if all of a sudden you were a Christmas decoration what would it be and why?

As for me, it would probably be the old home-made Christmas ornament that you keep putting on the tree - not the most beautiful but always ready to hang in there with you.

How about you?

While one of the things I collect most of is Christmas ornaments, mostly glass, vintage, and ones that have special meaning from places I've been, I would most probably myself be the ugly little ornament I made out of a styrofoam egg carton, pipe cleaner and glitter when I was in 4th grade. It's nasty; no denying that. So ugly that every year my mom would put it on the tree and my sister would try to hide it somewhere on the back where nobody would see it. But it's still a treasure, and I've already called dibs on it when my mom decides to downsize her Christmas decorations someday. Like many of my favorite things, it's weird, ugly, and not particularly useful, but will always be a treasure to me.

I would be a strand of G40 multi-colored Christmas lights (those are the big globe style bulbs I think). Not only would I be able to hug the tree (yes, I'm one of those), I'd get to see everyone else, too. And most of you know that I'm rather multi-colored most days. I might be a strand thats a few years old, though - not as bright as I once was with a few loose bulbs here and there. ;)

Shine on!

~Zaz

• 2 weeks later...

I would love to be one of the ornaments handmade by my grandma many years ago. Not one of the fancy sequined ones but a soft felt holiday item with tiny embellishments. I love remembering the past and seeing each new ornament selected or given every year, and especially the kids' smiling faces as they remember me.

(insert big cheesy holiday grin here!!)

I would be a Stocking as my precious Granny made mine 52 years ago and I have it now (after she passed, my Mom gave it to me), and she made sure every Grandchild had one. My mom carried on the tradition for her Grandkids, and we sure had a lot of stockings around the fireplace as the family grew. And, while as a kid we were always excited for "Santa" gifts, my Granny always put little "treasures" in our stockings - she didn't have money, but she knew us well, and put the most precious little things that she either made or bought for nearly nothing thru out the year and saved for the stockings.

I need to frame it as it is pretty old and precious, but I'm afraid to wash it first to preserve it. I got the instructions from an heirloom shop, but I'm still very afraid the reds will bleed into the whites.... So, I haven't touched it in 2 years. So, I carry on the stocking traditition today - but before she died she made my DH and I much simplier ones that I can hang up at my house. My kids and their kids have their stockings at their homes as they live in another city - but I do send them little treats to fill them.

Archived