Scrap Girls Collections Too Pretty To Use

Sarah in VA

I've read a lot of paper scrappers say that one of the reasons they turned to digital was because they were so often afraid to use their beautiful paper products. Too pretty to use is a common refrain.

Do you have, or have ever had, any Scrap Girl Collections that you just had to have, (went into your basket the moment you saw it) but have not ever used because they are just too pretty, or that you're afraid you'll not do them justice?

And if you finally used one after saving it for so long, what prompted you, or gave you the courage to use it in a layout?

I'll go first: Ursula Schneider's Assemblage Collection. I've had it for quite a while, it literally fascinates me but I was just too timid to use it - too far out of my comfort zone. Taking Denise's Exploring Design Styles, the Collage Week, is what finally gave me the courage to use it. It was actually pretty thrilling and liberating!

And of course, I still have all those, as yet, unused Christmas Collections sitting my my Christmas folder just waiting to be used. Too pretty! Too many decisions! How will I possibly make the right one? I just open up my software, imagine layouts and ooh and aaah over the collections.!

Now, what about you?

Maybe I should amend this question to "What Scrap Girls Collections do you have that you have not ever used?"

Actually no...because I am a long time Stamper, I have no qualms about using papers or what not. Sometimes the vellum papers are what stumps me...but eventually I will use up everything I have...always replacing the never ending using up cardstock for card making :)

Vaughnde

I know what you mean, Sarah! I don't have digi kits that I specifically avoid, but there are some that I had to have, I just don't know yet what pictures would do them justice. I have often thought it would be great to have some of my favorite paper collections as digi though. I just hate using up things like the "solid" ie subtly patterned Basic Grey papers, b/c I always have tons of the patterned papers left over, then nothing else looks as good with them. And back in the glory days of Club Scrap, which I belonged to for a little over a year in 2003-4, I often didn't want to cut it b/c it was just so beautiful and I knew I could never get more b/c the kit had been retired or whatever! LOL! And I still don't like to use the beautiful pink papers I've collected, even when I'm doing pages from my own baby & childhood, b/c there's always a prayer of a chance (ha) that I just might have my own girl someday, and what if they don't make cool pink papers then (again, ha, lol).

So I see your point!:)

I don't think I would ever feel that a digi-collection was too pretty to use since we aren't using it up. We can use if over and over. :) I can understand that feeling with paper products. I do have feelings sometimes about not doing a pretty paper justice but those are feelings I try to squelch. I do have some collections that I just had to have and have yet to use them, but I'm sure I will eventually. :)

My problem is those beautiful papers with large patterns. I pull one up to use it and tend to make the photo really small so that I don't cover that gorgeous paper. I have to remind myself that I should be showing off the photo not the paper.

I don't find a problem using my different collections, especially digital. When I started with the traditional papercrafting, it used to be more of a problem trying to save the 'special' papers for just the right picture or layout -- and I certainly wouldn't do a page with only one picture! Heaven forbid but the waste. I've gotten over that with the digi-scrapping and even when I do hybrid pages I'm more willing to do that. Not that I'm doing many non-digi scrapping pages these days. The thing that I do miss about moving to all digital is the tactile experience of those beautiful embossed pages. I'm working through that though in favour of the variety and flexibility of the digital experience. Life is change, after all. ^_^

Mary Elizabeth

I have tons of SG stuff I haven't used yet. I have been in a little bit of a slump so I haven't been doing any layouts.

I do have lots of fabric and yarn that are "too good to use" I keep my special yarn in a drawer that I call my petting

zoo & take it out once in a while just to pet it. My favorite is my one hump baby camel yarn!

I do have lots of fabric and yarn that are "too good to use" I keep my special yarn in a drawer that I call my petting

zoo & take it out once in a while just to pet it. My favorite is my one hump baby camel yarn!

LOL! I have some of those. If I just like to pet it I make it up into a scarf which then hangs on the back of my door in an organizer. Then I can touch whenever I want. I could never wear all those scarves.

One of the things I like most about digi scrapping is the ability to use things over and over again. There are a couple of collections that I find myself returning to time and again and a few that I got thought I'd use and just haven't found the right lo yet. Sometimes I forget to roam through my stash - I honestly forget sometimes what I have. The stash has obviously grown a great deal this last few months.

One of the things I like most about digi scrapping is the ability to use things over and over again. There are a couple of collections that I find myself returning to time and again and a few that I got thought I'd use and just haven't found the right lo yet. Sometimes I forget to roam through my stash - I honestly forget sometimes what I have. The stash has obviously grown a great deal this last few months.

That's exactly what I do! And what I really meant when I started this thread. I decide to make a layout using a certain photo or group of photos, then go "shopping" through my "0 Scrapbooking Materials" folder looking for just the right paper, or collection, embellishments, etc to use. I get so mesmerized looking through all the beautiful products and accessories, endless possibilities, that I end up with my time being gone, unable to make a decision, and no layout done! And, of course, I keep buying so the stash grows and this process takes longer, and longer!

Obviously, I am able to overcome this once in a while, but I sure do spend a lot of time looking at all the pretty things and imagining how I could use them.

I have lots of real papers that I have never used. I just love to look at them. I guess that's called hoarding! Tha is one reason why I love digital, because I can use it and still look at it over and over and over.

I have been intimidated to try some products. I just did my first LO that had a grunge-look to it, and wasn't sure I could pull it off. But that's the joy of digital too, if it doesn't look right-undo! I hated trying something with paper, not liking it, and then having wasted it. (Hence the hoarding, I guess!)

I do want to get into genres that I am totally inexperienced in, such as vintage. That seems a bit intimidating to me.

Sarah, you could do a LO about the products you haven't used yet! That would be funny and liberating!

Julie,

You must take Denise's class Exploring Design Styles the next time it is offered! She really gets you going on a lot of things you never thought of trying! But be prepared to step outside your comfort zone. You can always go back in if you want to, but you'll begin seeing things differently!

I'm a big-time hoarder with all my craft supplies! I have enough scrapbooking supplies to start my own store! That's what is so great about digital scrapbooking - I can use my favorites over and over. I do buy a lot of kits that I just have to have but can't decide how to use them. The samples from the designers are always so awesome! One of those kits from ScrapGirls is A Collage Unleashed by Syndee Nuckles. I absolutely love the whole kit but couldn't think of a fitting way to use it - until Task #3. I love how the page turned out - so maybe now I won't be as intimidated!!

I know what you mean.

I've owned several SG kits for half a year now. And joined the club too.

I've been scared to use any of it 'cause I've still been learning my software.

I am now happily dabbling in it. I have to tell myself that I don't have to use

every wonderful item in one layout...that I can spread it all out over many layouts. lol

My stash of paper supplies is a bit embarrassing. For how much I have, you'd expect to

see a lot more completed paper layouts than I have. I would see beautiful papers and

"HAVE" to have them...then was scared I wouldn't do them justice. Digital is great in that

regard. Changing things and reusing them is great.

Sarah I am bad bad bad I have lots of stuff (sg) that I havent used ....no offense ladies I really bought with all intentions of using too I get started then add delete & add differnt that's why my unused stuff is not used....true i swear.

Caren

Archived