Idea For Cereal Box Scrapbook

momentousangel

While not knowing what to do and dying of boredom since her best friend was away for a few days, my dd came up with an idea to use cereal boxes to make her a special scrapbook. I had extra posts for a postbound scrapbook that she surely put to use with this. She used cereal boxes doubled together for the front and back cover, used plain white printing paper for the pages (She prefers drawing and painting on her pages for backgrounds), She used the posts from a postbound scrapbook that were extras, to hol dit all together. Then she took her time going through all the fabrics I have, and when she didn't find any she really really liked, she did become sad so to make it really special for her, I sadly dug through a box of her baby clothes I had saved from when she was a newborn, and she used one of the dresses I had saved (and made her wear alot) to cover the front and back. Before adding the recycled fabric, we added some batting to the cereal boxes, and on the front we included a hole cut big enough to show a photo of her wearing the dress. Which came out really neat. I had no clue she was making it to give to her friend, or I would have photographed everything she did as she did it, lol, and scrapped it all. :( Then she added photos of her as she has grown, wrapped it up using a paper bag as wrapping paper embellished with stamps and ribbons, and gave it to her friend no sooner than she pulled into the driveway. On the inside of the cover she wrote a short note, "We haven't been friends for our whole lifes yet, but already you are my best friend. These were the years I didn't know you, Put together for you to finish until the end." I had to copy that down because I thought it was just soo sweet. I found out later after asking her if I could copy that down, what exactly she meant by the end. After asking her about their friendship and if she thought they weren't friends anymore because her friend had left for a few days. "the end" I found out meant the end of time, not when they are in heaven and are angels, but "the end" as in after there aren't any more angels. She wrote what the end meant on the last page of the scrapbook, so when I saw that, well, of course it made the words she wrote on the inside of the front cover even more special, (and made me cry, how do children at ten years old come up with such beautiful things to say? It makes me wonder each day for sure. :) )

Guest DeeZee
Sounds absolutely beautiful!!! Wow, isn't it incredible what kids can do, and what they can express!

Great idea for an album too. She's one smart cookie (just like her mama!)

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest Katzkidz1dog
Holy cow...what a story! I have an almost 11 yr old daughter and it [b]is[/b] amazing, the things they come up with. TFS!!

Guest lisaedson
That is really lovely! Makes me miss my sister so much, she's 9 and constantly thinks up new things like that - I never did at her age so I reckon these young starters are going to be super scrappers ;)

Guest Cropnpix
LOL - Seriously Lisa! As a kid, we pretty much had construction paper, Elmer's glue and regular old scissors. And if your mom was a seamstress and you could sneak her pinking shears, THAT was some fancy tool!

Guest roxanna
[quote name='momentousangel' date='Mar 15 2006, 01:38 AM']My dd is plotting and planning to make another one of these, this time for my dm, if only she'd hurry and get started I could hurry and get pics this time around, lol.
[right][post="36132"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

Yay... Tell her to get started sooner than she plans too... ehehee
:2468who-do-we-appreciate: :banana:

Guest lisaedson
[quote name='Cropnpix' date='Mar 15 2006, 10:52 PM']LOL - Seriously Lisa!  As a kid, we pretty much had construction paper, Elmer's glue and regular old scissors.  And if your mom was a seamstress and you could sneak her pinking shears, THAT was some fancy tool!
[right][post="36189"]<{POST_SNAPBACK}>[/post][/right][/quote]

LOL my Mum was nowhere near a seamstress! But she did buy me one of those recycled paper scrapbooks and some glue with stickers hehe, never let me near her precious photos though - wise woman I'd say as we didn't have a scanner and PC to back them up hehe.

Her planning on making another has been temporarily halted due to being sick and out of school for a while. She's just now starting to feel better, so we are hoping to go shopping in the next few days. I usually buy cereal in bags, lol, so we have to go buy a few boxes of it just for her. She's been raiding my supplies for things she would like to use and has been doing alot of sketching of ideas. I can not wait for her to get started on this either, This time around I am taking photo's, as many as I can until she kicks both me and the camera out, lol.

Archived