Most Unique Altered Piece?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 abbier626

abbier626
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2005 - 07:07 PM

What is the most unique item you have altered?

I haven't done much altering yet. Only a few notebooks. I have been saving lots of things that I think would be fun to alter - cd's tins, notebooks, toxes, clipboards.

Oh! I did alter a tag that came on some clothes. It was heavy, like chipboard, and I covered it with patterned paper and added a nice big flower on it then used it as a gift tag.

#2 Ro

Ro

Founder

• Design Team
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,434 posts
  • Personal Statement:I'm a geek. I'm a writer. I'm a philosopher. I'm a person of faith. I'm me.

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:52 AM

I did something really cool for my daughter a year or two ago. I found an old jewelry box at a thrift store. It was the kind that had four drawers in the middle and two side things that swing open and have hooks inside to hang necklaces. They close up sort of like a drawer, too (only length-wise - if you can imagine that).

I used coordinating scrapbooking papers to alter it. Each drawer, top and the sides, used a different paper. I painted some of the edges with acrylic paint and used some ribbon along the sides. I used decoupage glue to stick all of the paper to it and it has held up very well.

I could swear I had a picture of this thing, but I can't find it at the moment. She loves it, though, and it was a fun project to do.

It's a lot of fun to do things like that. In fact, if you will look at the rotating GIF on the front page of the Boutique, you may be able to see another box that I did recently using Mandy's Wallflower papers. painted the sides of the box and used the papers to make a really cool top for it.

Life is an adventure of many colors. Enjoy the view.

Visit my gallery
My designs and tutorials in the Scrap Girls Boutique

gallery_3_358_20276.pngButton_Founder.png

#3 angleigh

angleigh

Customer Service Extraordinare

• Design Team
  • 5,665 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 05:26 AM

I did a shoe box that I used to put a wedding gift in, a door knob hanger, clip board and dvd case. I know nothing to original...but I had fun with them

#4 abbier626

abbier626
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2005 - 10:15 AM

Great ideas! I need to get some modge podge so I can start some projects :)

#5 momentousangel

momentousangel

Hope You Have A Happy Scrappy Day!

• Members
  • 5,783 posts

Posted 17 July 2005 - 12:19 AM

The most unique thing I've altered? Oh my, you're all going to laugh when I tell you what it is, :rofl:. So here goes: The most unique thing I've ever altered was my daughters very first diaper she ever wore. No, I'm not kidding, I'm completely serious. When she was born they put her diaper on and ended up taking it right back off because it swallowed her whole, so the nurse ask if I wanted to keep it, and of course I said yes. I'm not sure what made me say yes, but I truly couldn't say no. :) The diaper was for a preemie diaper, and because of how small my dd was when she was born, even those preemie diapers swallowed her whole. We ended up using cabbage patch doll sized diapers for those first few weeks. Anyhow, I used the diaper as the front and back covers of a book I made for my dd about her progress in growth as well as some personal letters to her about our first few days together. I attached the pages to the inside of the diaper with baby diaper pins. With my dd's fifth birthday, I showed her this special book and she took it with her to school to share with all of her friends for show and tell. I received that day when she came home a special certificate from her teacher that said I was "Most Creative Parent," which I just couldn't believe, lol. It's amazing how so many things we see in normal every day life can be changed and altered. When I came up with the idea for using the diaper for a book, I thought to myself how can I use this and make it remain as special as it was when she first wore it, lol. That's how I ended up using it for the book. The first few pages told about how this diaper swallowed her whole and how the nurse was really sweet and ask if I wanted to save the diaper. I'll have to dig it out and take some photo's of it to show you all as soon as I can find it. It truly came out really neat and still is something special that I was determined to use somehow when I said yes about saving it. :) That diaper book is the most unique thing I've ever made in my whole entire life. It was that book that actually got me started on wanting to scrapbook more than just the regular baby books you buy in the stores. :)
Posted Image

To have a friend is to have a shoulder to cry on, a hand to hold and an extra pair of legs when yours are too weak to stand alone...

I have been living buried in books and writing classes... as an added note I must say that it is rather scary when you start dreaming and all you can see within your dreams is words floating everywhere!

Posted Image
Valerie Lynn Harrell is the published author of a book of poetry, titled "A Little Girl Lost... Was Found Through Her Writing"

#6 jamfisch

jamfisch
  • Guests

Posted 27 July 2005 - 07:45 PM

This sounds absolutely wonderful. What a neat thing to keep. I had a premie too, so I know how it goes.

Jamie

The most unique thing I've ever altered was my daughters very first diaper she ever wore.

#7 BonnyJean

BonnyJean
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2005 - 11:17 AM

LOL! I don't think I would have eer thought about altering a diaper! you should share a picture of it!

I too, have done "normal" things. clipboard, cigar boxes (into purses), tins, cds and cd cases, shoe boxes (great birthday gift boxes!) and jewelry boxes. Oh, and board books! How can I forget that one! lol that is my favorite right now, I've only done one, but I have plans for a lot more! lol as soon as I can raid dd's books and see which ones I can steal!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users