Wacom Support Network

Did you get a Wacom for Christmas?? I DID! I got the Bamboo and I am very excited. Have not had much time to play with it though. Lets share here any cool things you learn as you are working with your new Wacom!

Very minor, but I have found it so much easier to use the tablet as I am setting up my PSE organizer. It is much smoother than the touch pad on my laptop and more comfy than the mouse for a long term project.

Have fun everybody!!

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OMG Anna, that's exactly my situation too! I thought I was the only one!!! It's going to take some practice for sure, using my left hand with this as I use my right for everything but actually writing. So glad I found you gals!

My wonderful hubby got me the Intuos 3 for Christmas, and it's so cool, but my left arm/shoulder was sore last night after trying to get used to using it, lol! I'm determined though! Can't wait to hear how it's going for you all.

Happy New Year!

my left arm/shoulder was sore last night after trying to get used to using it, lol!

LOL! That's exactly how I feel! But, I'm going to get it figured out. A few minutes ago, I was working on some things, and without even thinking about it, I started using the mouse that came with the Bamboo with my right hand. I was reaching across the keyboard to reach it with my right hand, it's such a habit! LOL! But, I'm not giving up. It will be great once I'm used to it.

BTW, I read somewhere that you can use it to hand write emails and stuff. Do you need a special program for that or what? Anybody know?

my left arm/shoulder was sore last night after trying to get used to using it, lol!

LOL! That's exactly how I feel! But, I'm going to get it figured out. A few minutes ago, I was working on some things, and without even thinking about it, I started using the mouse that came with the Bamboo with my right hand. I was reaching across the keyboard to reach it with my right hand, it's such a habit! LOL! But, I'm not giving up. It will be great once I'm used to it.

BTW, I read somewhere that you can use it to hand write emails and stuff. Do you need a special program for that or what? Anybody know?

Still trying to figure that out. I am under the impression that you need Vista for that. But also read that you can use the writing technology with other specific programs. I think there was a link in the tutorial or user guide on the CD. Have not had a chance to read it yet. I will let you know if I find anything.

I got a Wacom Cintiq for Christmas! It is the monitor that works like a tablet. It is truely amazing. Mine has buttons on it too that you can program it and I was able to figure it out, so I'll give you a lesson later this weekend.

It also looks like I won't be needing my 12x12 Wacom Intuos board anymore. If anyone is interested in it, PM me. It is a nice piece of equipment if you have the room!

Can i ask what is the difference between the Bamboo and the Wacom??

Mary, Wacom is a brand. They make a bunch of different styles and sizes of tablets. The Bamboo and the Bamboo Fun are the ones they put out this year. They are more reasonably priced than most of Wacom's other tablets. They both come in a bunch of different colors and two sizes. The Bamboo Fun also comes with a wireless mouse as well as the pen, and a couple programs as well.

HTH!

Thanks Anna, this is great. I am using a PC. Maybe your husband could help me get mine loaded. Did he have to uninstall your regular mouse driver?

I also could not figure out how to turn off the windows (XP) virus protection. Any help would be appreciated as I am anxious to try to use it.

Jan

Yet another lefty that's going to have to reprogram her brain... I don't have mine yet; Amazon is backordered until the end of January, even though DH ordered it almost a month ago. :( So we'll either have to pay a higher price and shipping, find it locally (which DH discovered isn't possible), or wait. :(

I'm looking forward to having more fine motor skills again. Drawing with a mouse in my right hand is kind of like trying to draw with a chalkboard eraser. Just not very precise.

At this point, I'm figuring if I was able to conquer the vertical learning curve of PSE in less than a month and I'm making layouts that are worthy of being in our family albums, then I can conquer this, too.

POWER TO THE LEFTIES! :)

Thanks Anna, this is great. I am using a PC. Maybe your husband could help me get mine loaded. Did he have to uninstall your regular mouse driver?

I also could not figure out how to turn off the windows (XP) virus protection. Any help would be appreciated as I am anxious to try to use it.

Jan

Jan, What Virus Protection program are you using? This is not referring to your Firewall, but to Anti Virus such as McAfee or PC Tools. If you click on that icon it should bring up a window with options to turn off your Virus Protection. Just be sure to turn it back on as soon as you are done loading. You should not have to uninstall anything, in fact you can use both, I switch back and forth between the tablet and my laptop touchpad without any problem. Let us know if you are still having struggles!

I can get the tablet loaded, but I get an error code on the mouse and the tablet does not work - unless I don't know how to use it. I was able to get it to

zoom a couple of times, but the pen would not work for me. I have a wireless router modem. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I turned the

laptop off downstairs. Maybe I will try to load it on that computer and see what happens - but it has Vista. It says something about turning the Vista Defender off. I will have to try to find that. I wish the website would e-mail me back. I may have to breakdown and call them.

Jan

I can get the tablet loaded, but I get an error code on the mouse and the tablet does not work - unless I don't know how to use it. I was able to get it to

zoom a couple of times, but the pen would not work for me. I have a wireless router modem. I wonder if that has anything to do with it. I turned the

laptop off downstairs. Maybe I will try to load it on that computer and see what happens - but it has Vista. It says something about turning the Vista Defender off. I will have to try to find that. I wish the website would e-mail me back. I may have to breakdown and call them.

Jan

Let us know what you find out, I am not sure what else to suggest. Hope you get it working soon!!

I received an Intuous for Christmas as well. Hooked it up and getting used to it quickly. Have to say ... so far, I LOVE it.

Gave Mom a Bamboo for Christmas. She was under the impression that she could write in Word and Excel. I didn't think that was possible (she was convinced it didn't work). Got her into PSE and she saw that it does work. I'm thinking for some reason that maybe there is a certain version of MS Office that allows pen writing instead of typing? Is that true? Does anyone know?

I did use the pen for my recent layout (for task 12). Just couldn't resist. So much fun!

Theresa - a 12x12 would be super nice ... unfortunately I don't have the room on my desk for one. ENJOY your Cintque. Can't wait to hear how you like it. I bet it is super sweet!

I received an Intuous for Christmas as well. Hooked it up and getting used to it quickly. Have to say ... so far, I LOVE it.

Gave Mom a Bamboo for Christmas. She was under the impression that she could write in Word and Excel. I didn't think that was possible (she was convinced it didn't work). Got her into PSE and she saw that it does work. I'm thinking for some reason that maybe there is a certain version of MS Office that allows pen writing instead of typing? Is that true? Does anyone know?

I did use the pen for my recent layout (for task 12). Just couldn't resist. So much fun!

Theresa - a 12x12 would be super nice ... unfortunately I don't have the room on my desk for one. ENJOY your Cintque. Can't wait to hear how you like it. I bet it is super sweet!

It is my understanding that there is a technology in Vista that allows you to write into Word and email, but not in XP.

Jan

Did you get it working?

I'm finding, as a lefty, that the end of my hand drags on the tablet. Not sure I can get used to holding my hand off the "paper", so I might just have to put up with it.

Did anyone have any difficulty getting the enclosed software to install. None of the programs that came bundled with my Intuos 3 will install. Not a big deal, don't need PSE or Corel because I have the full Creative Suite, but it might be annoying if I didn't have that software.

My initial installation gave me some error messages, but I plugged it in, rebooted and it worked fine.

HINT: to move over the "page" to the part you want to click, NO NEED TO TOUCH THE PAD, as it "reads"

from moving OVER the screen. (thus, if you leave the pen ON the pad, the other mouse won't work!).

You only touch the pad when you reach the portion you wish to edit, click, et al.

I really want to be a part of this support group. I'm not a lefty, but am having problems with where to put it. And, the settings.

In this month's Digital Scrapbooking Magazine Feb/March 2008 (on-Line Version) Renee Pearson Gives some Exercises on getting comfortable using the pen, shows you how to create a text path, and accessorize a font. She is using the Bamboo, but these lessons would work on any Tablet/Pen combo. Pages 45 - 50. If you have Adobe Photoshop - not PSE she gives you a hyperlink to a Photoshop site (I didn't keep it handy as I use PSE 6.0.)

She also says there are more pen tablet tips and techniqus from Renee at digitalscrapbooking.com. I don't know if you have to be a subscriber to get the hints.

Also, I always love the "KICK IT UP" section of the magazine. If you look at page 95 - There is the coolest LO of a Boy Holding on to his own initials to one of his initials JF. His initials are bigger than HE is. But, again they use the pen to create many of the effects on the page.

I have the Intuos 4 x 6 and use PSE 6.0. Almost want to upgrade to either PS or CS as they have Pen features where PSE does not have the Pen feature per say.

If someone doesn't get the magazine, I can't copy the article, but I would share the exercises that Renee gives. Just send me a PM. I haven't tried them yet since I just finished the 12 days yesterday - I really haven't played with it much other than install it.

Debilou,

I know I am late with this, but I have the magazine also with the tutorial. They sent me an email earlier in the month letting me know that I could access the magazine online. By the way, did you receive your email? So I guess, if you go to their site, anyone can read it. I am not sure if you can copy it, but I did glance through it before my hard copy arrived the other day.

Scrappy Librarian,

Your Mother is correct. I went to their Wacom's site for comparison to replace my prior Wacom that was splashed by juice--It died. Yes, you can use Microsoft Office, etc., with the tablet but it has to be a recent version. I didn't pay too much attention because my latest version is XP upgrade. I am not giving Microsoft any more of my money for an update, especially since I am now on a strict budget, Oh My!! Best Buy Online had them for $90, but I see they have raised the price back up to $99. I was going to ask my youngest daughter for the Bamboo, but she gave me A Sony EReader for my birthday/Christmas present and some extras. The E reader costs more than the medium Bamboo, so I can't hit her for it. Oh my, these electronics are killing our budgets. I was hoping that the medium would be around $155, but it doubles the price. The small size of the Wacom was a perfect fit, so I hope this is comparative in size. With my last Wacom, I received software for EasyWrite or something similar to that name for notes, etc. So I will pull out that software because it should work.

Again, I am not sure if it is 2007 for Office. If you have that version, then she should give it a try. I know that whatever version is with Vista works. When I purchased my Sony it had a temporary version installed in case I wanted to upgrade, which I didn't. I don't need office to scrap, so that version is fine with me.

So nice to meet everyone. I will be joining the group also once I finish setting up my new electronics received for Christmas and my birthday. An Older and Wiser Learner (OWL). I wish everyone, <b> "A joyous, Blessed, and Prosperous season and New Year. </b>

Jan

Did you get it working?

I loaded on the laptop downstairs without a hitch. Now sure what to do with it, but it is working.

After looking at the "readme" file, it said something about your computer not being configured

for USB mouse or something. I have a wireless mouse and keyboard so I don't know if that

is the problem. The note said it wouldn't work in "safe" mode. I don't understand all that,

but atleast it does work.

Thanks for trying to help ---Jan

Okay Ladies, I have a confession. I've been trying to use the pen off and on for several days now, and was about to give up. I hadn't had any time to really use it in PSE, I was just trying to get a feel for using it generally. Checking email, etc. And, I was getting to be proficientat moving around the computer, but I was starting to wonder why it was worth the money...

Today, I had pretty much given up on the tablet and I was just using the regular mouse. I actually had some time to work on some layouts, and I needed to edit a picture. I opened up PSE, and started trying to use the clone stamp. It wouldn't work. I was freaking out, checking all of the settings, about ready to post here on the MB to see if any one had any suggestions as to why it wouldn't work, when it dawned on me that I hadn't tried the pen and tablet. So, I tried. And it worked like a dream! It was sooo easy! And, it's pressure sensitive, so you don't have to change brush sizes to blend things, you just apply more or less pressure. Can you tell that I'm pleased? It's great, fabulous, and awsome. (And, if I had worked through the tutorials a week ago, I probably wouldn't have ever gotten so frusterated to begin with, LOL).

I really think I'm in love with this tool!

Archived