What Do You Think Of Mozy?

All,

I've been following these discussions for a couple months (and patiently waiting for Carbonite to have EHD support). Well, I'm sorry to say, I'm ready to give up waiting for Carbonite. The other place most of you seem to be considering (and or using) is Mozy.

Can anyone tell me your experience with Mozy? Have you had to do a restore yet? Have you used both Carbonite and Mozy and have good/bad things to say about each?

I have more than 2GB to back up (don't we all) so I haven't tried the Mozy freebie at this point. Really want to know what you all think about it.

Thanks in advance for any input (positive or negative)!

Denise

I use Mozy and really like it. It works quietly in the background, opens a window when the latest backup has finished so you know what was done. I have total peace of mind with it, especially since I keep ALL of my scrapping stuff on my EHD. I haven't needed to do a restore yet, but my brother-in-law did and it went off without a hitch.

I would like to hear more as well. So unlike carbonite, Mozy WILL back up a EHD? For $5 a month X 12 = $60 a year investment. That's not bad at all. That is a great price for insurance on your EHD. One picture in my EHD is worth more than that. I fortunately have never had anything bad happen to my computer or EHD, but I dont want to WAIT for it to happen either.

I would like to hear more as well. So unlike carbonite, Mozy WILL back up a EHD? For $5 a month X 12 = $60 a year investment. That's not bad at all. That is a great price for insurance on your EHD. One picture in my EHD is worth more than that. I fortunately have never had anything bad happen to my computer or EHD, but I dont want to WAIT for it to happen either.

You got it, Tracey! You just add your EHD to what you want backed up through the setup options. Mozy does the rest. If you don't always have your EHD plugged in (laptop for example), just make sure you plug it in at least once every 30 days and make sure it stays in your setup for backup. I couldn't be happier with Mozy. Like you, I've never had a major crash with loss of everything, but it's nice to know I'm all covered now if it happens. :)

Tracey, I use Mozy as well and have an EHD. Like Jo, it works quietly in the background and lets you know when it has completed a backup--you can choose preferences of whether you prefer a quicker or slower backup speed so as to not interfere with any work you might be doing on your computer while it is running. Of course, you can schedule periodic backups as well. I have, fortunately, never had a crash either so cannot tell you how the restore works. I think Laurel uses it...you might want to check with her also.

This sounds really neat since I do have everything on an EHD. My only catch is that we are still on dial up! ACK!! Does anyone know if Mosey will work with a dial up connection, or am I pretty much out of luck till the powers that be get their act together and get me something faster than dial up out here in the sticks? :D

Not sure I could imagine doing this on dial up (didn't look on the website to see if dialup was acceptable). However, it's estimating that it will take 2 weeks to back up 117GB of data right now (it's a first backup) with the quider back up vs faster computer slider all the way to quicker back up.

I have a cable connection.

I started downloading at around 10pm last night and it is still downloading. It says it is backing up 57.8 GB (which is my first download) and its current progress is 2.1% done. Wow! I am going to be downloading for a month at this rate. LOL Is 57.8 GB a lot? I dont know anything about GB, MB, milibytes, vampire bites, tick bites, whatever bites. LOL All I know is that this slow download "Bites". LOL

Tracey,

Actually, I think you're UPloading and not DOWNloading. Downloading would be loading something on to your computer and the idea behind this and Carbonite is that you're uploading your HD to a remote location for a back up.

As for size...60GB isn't anything to sneeze at. It's bigger than the HD on my last laptop (of course my last laptop was really owned by they company I work for so wasn't intended to be for scrapbooking).

Mine will be at it for a while. I tend to bump it up to QUICK when I'm walking away from it for a while, then bump it down so I can do things on the puter (although I'm avoiding scrapbooking while it's uploading).

Launa, I'm currently backing up my big EHD using a second EHD. Depending on how many files you've got, would that be an option for you?

( My intermediate-term plan is to get a new Mac, and then use TimeMachine to do the backups. But offsite sounds good. I've got 78GB of scrapbook files already, and I haven't even unzipped any of my CATW stuff yet. :blush: The thought of replacing all that...yikes. :blink: )

Thanks for the idea! It might be an option, I have everything backed up onto dvd's with contact sheets to show what collections, tools, fonts, etc are on each. And we are looking into taping in to our churches T2 connection via some antenas and routers (I have a techy friend) we live next door to the church.....so when we can swing the initial $$$ to buy all the equip I think thats what we'll do!

Thanks for all the help everyone!! I definatley don't want to loose anything!! :D

I have been looking at mozy too.

I would love to hear what you ladies that just signed up think. I am also considering a EHD. I primarily use my laptop for digi scrapping, would either option be a problem?

Michelle

Tracey,

Actually, I think you're UPloading and not DOWNloading. Downloading would be loading something on to your computer and the idea behind this and Carbonite is that you're uploading your HD to a remote location for a back up.

As for size...60GB isn't anything to sneeze at. It's bigger than the HD on my last laptop (of course my last laptop was really owned by they company I work for so wasn't intended to be for scrapbooking).

Mine will be at it for a while. I tend to bump it up to QUICK when I'm walking away from it for a while, then bump it down so I can do things on the puter (although I'm avoiding scrapbooking while it's uploading).

LOL Yup.............That's exactly what I meant to say "UPloading" Duh Sillly me, Trix are for kids. heheheheheh Anyway, my status right now for the last 2 days worth of uploading is:

Backup in progress: 10.4% Done

Wowzers! First I said it would take a month to upload. I think I was wrong on that too. I think I will be uploading for a year at this rate. LOL Is this normal for a first upload?

• 3 weeks later...

Given the comments here, I tried Mozy first.

It's totally unobtrusive...until I blew my quota, which was part of my test!

Mozy is also easier to set up if you want something other than just the default folders backed up. I specifically did not want my Documents & Settings folder backed up, 'cause that's not where my stuff lives. With Carbonite, I had to go to the online help -- on Carbonite's web site! -- to find out how to back up anything else. There were other things about the Carbonite "interface" that I disliked. With Carbonite, you have to right-click on each folder in Windows Explorer, then select a sub-menu item from the context menu. In Mozy, you opening an Explorer-like GUI and click check boxes for each directory. Carbonite changes your file icons to indicate their backup status, and that display can be turned off.

Carbonite *still* doesn't have EHD or Mac support. Those are the deal-killers.

(When I emailed Carbonite about those two items, back in July, I got no response. Then I saw a post on these boards, from a company rep, in November, about how EHD support is coming "real soon now", and it's not here yet... that would concern me. Six work weeks does not equal soon, making me think that perhaps they ran into bugs in a beta or something. Not good.)

Well I just stumbled onto this thread. I too have been waiting for Carbonite and I guess I'll check out Mozy. I have everything on my EHD and I would not want to lose anything... Thanks all, I'm off to check it out!

I have a couple ehd that I wanted to back up as well as my c drive and mozy works excellent for me. I had a problem during the week with their server being locked and I got onto the website. They have live chat support and they had me up and running again with in 24hrs. I have backed up a total of 125gb so far, with no problem. It does take a while, but once it gets it all done, all it has to do is update files that you worked on, so doesn't take long at all. I'm really pleased with the customer service and the fact that it is so easy to set up and pick out what you want backed up.

hth aswell

Chris

For those of you waiting for carbonite, why not give Mozy a try in the meantime? Get Mozy, and when Carbonite finally allows the EHD backup, IF you choose to change you can then. Why take the risk of sitting back "waiting" for something that may never come, OR may not happen "Sooner" than later. Later is to late. Sooner your files can be completely destroyed with a hard disk failure as you wait. Personally, its not worth the risk of loosing all those precious memories, or all that time downloading and unzipping those awesome product items we get from Scrap Girls. There's no reason to put Angela through the hard work of resending those files when it could be TOTALLY prevented right now. Have you ever heard of the slogan......

"Just Do It"

I use Mozy and love it. It's quietly working in the background, and it lets you decided exactly what you want to back up. So I've got my Time Machine system running, which backs up my desktop and hard drive only, then I've got my two external hard drives and Mozy backing those up. So I think I'm good. Tracey, it's not unusual for the first backup to take that long. It took me a good 3 weeks to get everything done, and I'm constantly adding new stuff, like new layouts I've started and more supplies I've gotten. So it's probably going to be a never-ending process, but that's the way it goes. :)

And for the low price of $5 a month, I can handle that wait for the first backup. That is definitely worth my peace of mind.

Hope that helps! :D

what is the difference with carbonite and moxy? i know i have to go with moxy since i am using it to backup my ehd where i keep all my important stuff, photos, lo, kits but just wondered what the difference is...someone said that when and if carbonite lets you backup an ehd you can switch...why would you switch? anything wrong with moxy? and if i get moxy today...how long does the orginal backup take..i have lots of stuff on my ehd ( about 200 gb) thanks for any info and ideas

This was an interesting read!

I've got all of my stuff (almost) backed up on DVD:s, but I am using EHD's for both scrapping-stuff and photos.

I'm also one of those that have been waiting for Carbonite to get the EHD-issue solved, but I'm going to check out Mozy now!

Thanks!

what is the difference with carbonite and moxy? i know i have to go with moxy since i am using it to backup my ehd where i keep all my important stuff, photos, lo, kits but just wondered what the difference is...someone said that when and if carbonite lets you backup an ehd you can switch...why would you switch? anything wrong with moxy? and if i get moxy today...how long does the orginal backup take..i have lots of stuff on my ehd ( about 200 gb) thanks for any info and ideas

As far as my understanding goes, there will be no difference if and when Carbonite backs up the EHD. I personally will be staying with Mozy even after Carbonite gets up to date. Reason, Mozy came up with the EHD backup first. Its kind of like me coming to Scrap Girls, getting all the tools to learn how to scrap, get all the freebies to scrap with, just to turn around and shop (spend my money) at another site. I am 100%, ok, 200% committed to Scrap Girls, in which, I will be committed to Mozy unless something happens to where the service goes down the tubes. So far so good, so why look for greener pastures?

I signed up for Mozy in November, early November, and started the easy process of selecting the files, including the EHD to back up and it started encrypting and sending my info. I am using Mozy to back up a 120 GB EHD and my C drive, etc. Now I expect it to take a while, but last week, at 97% completion of the initial backup, I got a user error and the backups stopped. I wrote to Mozy and gave them all the information they requested. I've only heard that they are working to find the problem. I don't want to be persnickety, but does all that sound copasetic?

Archived