What Do You Think Of Mozy?

When I first started using Mozy, I kept getting error messages as well. Come to find out it is because my firewall was not allowing Mozy to enter my computer to scan my files. I am not sure if this could possibly be your problem since I know nothing about computers, but since I changed the settings, all has gone great.

hope all is well with mozy and your backup...signed up for mozy today and i called and spoke with kimberly first to answer some questions i had...she was very nice and then when i signed up i called her again to help me with the set up for my ehd and answer some more questions..its begun the backup and i have 200 gb so hopefully its done before the spring...lol.... am going away tonight so hope to have it moving along while i am away

I am not sure if I am allowed to post this, but I have my referal code if anyone wants to use mine. If is:

Referral Code: CTLBPD

By using this code you and I will get 256 MB. Not sure what that means, but hopefully you do. LOL

I am not sure if I am allowed to post this, but I have my referal code if anyone wants to use mine. If is:

Referral Code: CTLBPD

By using this code you and I will get 256 MB. Not sure what that means, but hopefully you do. LOL

wish i knew...i just signed up today...maybe i can tell them oops i forgot.... i will try

I just found out that since I pay the $4.95 a month that I will not get any credit. Doesnt make since to me, but, oh well. The 256 MB is only given to me and the referral ONLY if we are on free accounts with them. It would allow us to have more backed up by them.

I have never thought of a backup for my EHD. Hmmm...Thanks for the thread, I'm thinking about it now.

My ISP has a pretty slow upload speed, and I'm still managing ~2GB/night (as in 9pm to 7am). This is with the priority set to about 75% of the way towards quicker backups until I go to bed around midnight, and full blast for the rest of the night. We'll see how much gets uploaded over the weekend, when I intend to let it run full blast most of the time.

Something I didn't really consider when I configured my initial backup set: Pick your files intelligently.

At first, I just checked the boxes for *all* the files I want to back up.

Then I thought about it more, and realized that what I want backed up NOW is only a small portion of that.

So I've cut down my selections drastically, and still have 99GB. I've got most of my stuff on my 2nd EHD, so I'm going to just let it run.

The order I should have done stuff, and what I recommend to anyone who's just starting online backups:

- photos first, unless you're certain your backups are good.

- zip files of kits that can't be easily recovered due to extinct links, defunct blogs, or weird store policies where you used to buy stuff.

- finished layouts and WIPs (if you have the photos and kits, you can rebuild them if it comes to that).

- other files that you care about and may not be easy to re-create or to recover from backup.

- other files that may seem less important but are difficult or impossible to re-create or recover.

- other zip files of kits (ones that can be easily re-downloaded).

- unzipped kits and other files that are easy to re-create or recover.

My ISP has a pretty slow upload speed, and I'm still managing ~2GB/night (as in 9pm to 7am). This is with the priority set to about 75% of the way towards quicker backups until I go to bed around midnight, and full blast for the rest of the night. We'll see how much gets uploaded over the weekend, when I intend to let it run full blast most of the time.

Something I didn't really consider when I configured my initial backup set: Pick your files intelligently.

Then I thought about it more, and realized that what I want backed up NOW is only a small portion of that.

So I've cut down my selections drastically, and still have 99GB. I've got most of my stuff on my 2nd EHD, so I'm going to just let it run.

The order I should have done stuff, and what I recommend to anyone who's just starting online backups:

- zip files of kits that can't be easily recovered due to extinct links, defunct blogs, or weird store policies where you used to buy stuff.

- finished layouts and WIPs (if you have the photos and kits, you can rebuild them if it comes to that).

- other files that you care about and may not be easy to re-create or to recover from backup.

- other files that may seem less important but are difficult or impossible to re-create or recover.

what is WIP? sounds like its a big day for mozy.... i also signed up...and am uploading as we speak while i am away for the weekend...

what is WIP? sounds like its a big day for mozy.... i also signed up...and am uploading as we speak while i am away for the weekend...

Work-In-Progress. :-)

The other reason I went with Mozy... they just got a contract with a huge company. That kind of guarantees they'll be around for a while.

I did the exact same thing :P and I'm still uploading and that was about 2weeks ago, but I have peace of mind:)

Mine goes into slumber and it's fine. I've been having it run for 3 days straight now, and only doing reboots when I need to and it's working excellent. Everytime I wake it up, it is still working and progressing fine.

Yeah, everything is working fine here!

I came home to find it is 5% finished with my photo-EHD.

I had the speed set to max while I was at work!

• 2 weeks later...

I am SO glad this information is on here! I have an ehd that holds all my scrapbooking supplies, not to mention all of my music, pictures and other files. A couple of days ago my ehd became unrecongizable on all computers. I'm in the process of trying to get the data recovered...IF it can be recovered. I had most of my stuff backed up to DVD, but some of it won't transfer over (seems to be a letter or two of each alpha set). Since the crash, I've been considering online backup. This really helps me make my decision!

Thanks!

Tabitha

• 1 month later...

Update: Mozy has just finished its first full backup.

That's about 180 GB of stuff: all my digiscrap files (the zips alone are 49 GB!!!), all of my iTunes files from my CDs and iTunes purchases, and assorted other files (lots of my stuff, and a couple of DH's projects).

I've been running it evenings, overnights, and weekends, with its speed cranked up to max. My upload speeds, on the 6MB "direct-DSL" line, are around 600 Kb/s. Upload speeds on the 4MB cable modem were around 200-250 Kb/s. With cable modem, it was about 1.5-2GB/night; with direct-DSL, it's at least 4GB, and often more.

(We've been comparing the direct-DSL and cable modem for 2 months. Cable modem is faster download, direct-DSL is faster upload. I still haven't made up my mind which one we should stick with.)

Yup, it takes a long time to upload...just grin and bear it! It took almost 6 weeks to get 64 GBs saved, with the speed turned up to max anytime I was away from the computer. I did have a few interuptions when our power went on and off during some bad weather, but it always picked up where it left off, and kept on chugging. Now I have it set to backup any new stuff, or changes, at times when I am most likely to be at work (or sleeping), and am barely aware of it at all.

My Carbonite subscription will be expiring in about a month and I am ok with that. However, Mozy does not put a little dot on each file to tell you if it is backed up or not, and I think that I will miss that feature...it is sort of reassuring. But I know that all my precious pictures and layouts on my EHD are backed up on Mozy, and I did not have that with Carbonite...so I will just have to overlook the lack of dots! I can right click on a file and see the "restore with Mozy" option any time I need to be comforted. :monkeydance:

I cant say anything about restoring with Mozy, since I have not had to do it. Knock on wood, but I hope I never have to!

One problem though...now I have so much stored on my EHD that it is nearly full...I may need to buy a new one soon. May all my problems be so terrible... :snow_grin:

Cathy T.

Hi everyone,

I just bought and had installed an EHD. It's a Seagate FreeAgent Pro with 750GB. What I am using it for is to keep all of my digiscrap files on it, as well as my photos and layouts. That's it. I have Carbonite to back up my pc hard drive, and it works beautiful. First upload to Carbonite took days, I thought that it would never end. The backup to the EHD took about a day, not too bad. It's a cute, quiet little ehd that sits on my desk alongside my monitor.

My question to all of you is this: Is it necessary to have a service back up the EHD if that content is already being backed up by Carbonite? I still download everything on my C: drive and then the EHD backs up that content and Carbonite backs up my C: drive. Of course, if you are only loading to your EHD and not your HD, then I can understand wanting the info on your EHD to be backed up, just in case. I guess I just answered my own question.

Oh, well, sometimes you just have to talk it over with someone else. However, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'll check back in later on.

:dancing_penguin:

Hi everyone,

I just bought and had installed an EHD. It's a Seagate FreeAgent Pro with 750GB. What I am using it for is to keep all of my digiscrap files on it, as well as my photos and layouts. That's it. I have Carbonite to back up my pc hard drive, and it works beautiful. First upload to Carbonite took days, I thought that it would never end. The backup to the EHD took about a day, not too bad. It's a cute, quiet little ehd that sits on my desk alongside my monitor.

My question to all of you is this: Is it necessary to have a service back up the EHD if that content is already being backed up by Carbonite? I still download everything on my C: drive and then the EHD backs up that content and Carbonite backs up my C: drive. Of course, if you are only loading to your EHD and not your HD, then I can understand wanting the info on your EHD to be backed up, just in case. I guess I just answered my own question.

Oh, well, sometimes you just have to talk it over with someone else. However, if anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. I'll check back in later on.

:dancing_penguin:

i have so much stuff...photos and scrapping that i put everything on my ehd and also makes my computer run better i think cause photoshop is so big and when you work with everything it slows stuff down so i have mozy cause it backs up the ehd...i think the concept you have is the ehd is the backup and you have carbonite so i guess you are backed up ok....

I've just read this whole thread and have a better understanding but still have some questions.

Last week my laptop informed me that it's hard drive is full. I have Carbonite for a backup but have moved all my photos and some other files to only my EHD which means Carbonite will no longer back them up. I've done a DVD backup of everything I moved but this is very scary to me!

Now why I'm stumped....I have looked at the IMac computer and the Mac laptop. I was going to wait and save enough $ to get the laptop which is about $800 more then the IMac. If I sign up for Mozy now for my PC can I change over to the Mac later or will I have to start a download all over again? I still have 5 months of carbonite contract. Can I use both at the same time or use Mozy just for the EHD?

The more I think and read about this the more confused I get. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and get the IMac now, then I could use my laptop for everything but scrapping.

I'm using Mozy for my EHD:s and a couple of weeks ago one of them crashed!!!

The one with all my photos...

I requested the right files for download from Mozy and had it all downloaded and installed on a new EHD within 48 hours!

Worked like a charm! :lovey-smilie:

Interesting question Kricket. I think you should contact the Mozy people and the Apple people for a real answer just to make sure the mac can actually read all the files ... there may be some that are tagged one way when they're on a PC and a different way on a Mac.

As for which files to back up, I believe you can use Mozy to only back up the EHD if you wanted it to do that ... again though check into the mac/pc compatibility thing. The EHD may need to be reformatted to work with the Mac (I don't know for sure but I would suspect something like that to be needed).

I signed up for Mozy at the end of December. I have not regretted it once. It is real peace of mind to know that my files are all backed up off site. Like you, I'm keeping my photos on my EHD and my digi scrap supplies on my internal HD. Reasoning is because I move the photos I want to work with NOW to my internal HD then can move the laptop anywhere and work on them with access to all my supplies. Once the page is complete, I keep a low res copy on my internal HD (cause my desktop wall paper flips through the layouts so I get to see them) and the high res jpg and psd files on the EHD to save space.

Archived