Slower Than A Snail!

kimmybutton

Is it just my connection or is anyone else having trouble downloading purchases. I'm trying to download the huge amount of purchases I made before I leave for LA tomorrow and the zip files are taking 15 minutes each! I have wireless verizon and it is usually so quick. I ran ccleaner and window washer, rebooted and it's still slow--never seen it this slow. also checked the RAM on my 'puter and space available (all fine) , but i'm downloading to my ehd anyway and that has tons of space.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weird Kimmy! This happened to me once, and I found that my computer was automatically downloading updates for Photoshop. When I finally canceled them and started downloading my stuff again, it was fine! I hope you can get it figured out! That is really annoying!!

Hmmm...that's funny, Launa, because I did just download PS updates prior to starting to download all my purchases. I got a message saying that the PS download was complete...that was more than 4 hours ago and i waited to download my boutique purchases until after the PS update was complete (man, and i kept postponing that the PS update until this am). could there be a connection? anyone know? :please:

It was running pretty slow for me when I first logged on this morning but it seems to have revved up again now. There was a problem over the weekend and I don't know if this is more of the same or whether it is just from heavy volume of us all of us crazed shoppers. ;)

i was thinking that might be the case, angela! that's why i started so early this am...oh well...i'll eventually get there...thing is i bought a portable ehd to take with me and i still have to transfer all my scrapping supplies to that after downloading my new purchases. i shouldn't get so frustrated ... it isn't like i don't have a million other items already in my scrapping supplies folder that i could use *embarrassed expression* ... just the rushing around before a trip stress (taking the dogs to the kennel, stopping the paper, and packing (which i haven't even started yet) that is starting to get to me.

Ya it was really slow to a couple days ago and Ro said it was because of the volume of shoppers, The tech people were watching it and then they reset the botique and it ran fine.....she also said sometimes it would fix itself?? I don't know much about websites!! But I'm sure it will work itself out soon! Hang in there!!

I am looking into it and it appears that there is some kind of something going out there in the Internet between the Boutique and the file server. I'm running a Trace Route and it is getting stuck somewhere. This usually means that there is an Internet Service Provider somewhere (like Comcast, Verizon, etc.) that has a DNS problem, router, etc. that is causing a log jam. I have put in a support ticket with the file server company (because they are housed by a different company) and should hear about it soon. I can just tell by looking at this Trace Route that something is going on out on the net, though.

It reminds me of the day when I couldn't see the website and everyone else in the world could. It was because Comcast had a DNS problem right outside of San Francisco and the customers who were in the western region (such as me) were affected by it. You had to be in that certain subset of people to have the problem. But it wasn't the server itself... it was something in between that Comcast had to fix.

Does that make anysense? The hosting facility is so good that they tracked it down for me!

Anyway, they'll either fix it = if they need to - or they will find out what is happening in the world so that we will know. I'll let you know what happens.

The thing to remember is this: There is no simple answer to these things. It would be easier if there was, but the Internet is a HUGE massive connection of computers strung around the world and if any of those computer anywhere have problems, you can have problems. We're all dependent upon each other, basically. I heard this thing on Oprah about it the other day and the connections are mostly the Internet Service Providers working with each other passing things around. That is why it happens to be that if one company has a problem, it affects so many people. But then sometimes, it will only affect their customers.

Make sense? Nor not?

Yes, Ro. This makes perfect sense. It's just that most people don't realize the Internet is as complicated as it is. It's been slow all morning for me.

I'm downloading now and the rate is 7.63 KB an hour! Thank goodness I don't need any of this today! Like someone else said, we have a month!

just got back from taking the dogs to the kennel and noticed you had left a message, ro. boy, do i feel bad--like a kid who is stomping his feet because something is taking too long. i really wasn't complaining about this site...thot it was probably something on my end when i started experiencing problems.

just want to let you know that i appreciate the magnitude of things that can go wrong in cyberspace and what a monumental task it must be to stay on top of everything on this site. so...a big hug and a big thank you for all that you do! and thank you for the super-collossal sale that allowed me to purchase so many goodies! :bighug:

I'm sorry that all of you guys are having trouble today. Boy for the last day of the year, you'd think things would be smooth as silk... But, I am sorry , its great to see the attitude of everyone is so gracious and caring. This IS what makes SG's so very special.. All of you !!! God Bless each of you today and have a great new year....

yep a bit slow just for browsing in the boutique

yet I'm determined to buy more with the great sale and coupon incentive...it would be a crime not to right?

So shop today, buy today, download another day is fine with me.

happy happy joy joy!!

if it makes you feel better I had problems with my google gmail the previous two days... and never had before.

The Boutique is moving slow for me too! The downloads were slow for me this morning (the freebie) but I just assumed everyone was trying to download it at the same time I was. LOL

But I've been trying to shop and it's taking forever just to browse through things. I'm finding myself refreshing to see if that helps but it's not helping.

I just came on the MSGBRD to see if anyone else was finding the same! WHEW! I thought my computer was dying!

Amanda

Okay, just double checked the boutique since others have been experiencing slowness, but I can still surf around the boutique without a problem ... i haven't been loading anything into my shopping cart or buying supplies, though (I finished my shopping) so I can't speak for that part of the process).

p.s. whew...got all that i was able to download transferred to my portable ehd, so i'm ready to go ... will download the rest of it when i get back from CA

Archived